U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 09:03 PM

10,026 posts, read 14,474,108 times

Advertisements

phillies-dont agree. look at njs cities or any of nys cities not named ny. newark , camden , and ac are worse than philly , pittsburgh , and allentown. momtco probably has more employment than philly. still i dont disagree with your overarching point which is the two big (or three large) metros pay the bills. i dont see much validity in the nra gripe , its just not a big factor in crime. philly hasnt done itself many favors over the years and the bigger problem is the feds who robbed the old cities to build new ones
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 09:19 AM

1,230 posts, read 1,520,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
The vast majority of the residents of Pennsylvania are too dumb to ever stop cutting off their nose to spite their face, they will never embrace Philadelphia. I mean honestly, look at the people the hillbillies in the middle of this state elect into our state government. Anti-urban, anti-education, anti-science, anti-progress bigots populate all levels of our state government.

Forget about the future, right now Philadelphia makes up nearly 70% of this state's GDP. You would think people in Pennsylvania would want to funnel all the money we send to Harrisburg each year back to the city to improve our public transportation, infrastructure, education system, safety, etc. Such investments would result in even more money for the rest of the state to feed off of in the future. Unfortunately these people simply do not understand where their bread is buttered. Instead of spending money to extend the BSL to the Navy Yard or some other investment that will bring jobs and money to our state, they'd rather build a highway from one podunk town to another, or some other worthless pork investment that will contribute zilch to the economy of this state.

Put simply Pennsylvania doesn't deserve Philadelphia. That's why I'm the leader of the Philadelphian Separatist Movement. Imagine how much better off Philadelphia would be if it didn't have to subsidize the rest of this crummy state.

Note: Nearby suburbanites don't get your knickers in a twist, you're more than welcome to join our new state. We wouldn't dream of leaving you stranded in state that would suddenly have the economic prowess of Alabama.
Ha Haa Haaaa! Good One!

Old 03-28-2014, 02:31 PM

2,943 posts, read 3,906,970 times
The simpleist fix would simply to have Philadelphia county join NJ.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:33 PM

182 posts, read 311,283 times
I thought Pennsylvania was already on the map??lol

Old 03-28-2014, 02:35 PM

11,942 posts, read 10,818,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
The simpleist fix would simply to have Philadelphia county join NJ.
I often say that NYC and Philly should join New Jersey to make it the #1 state in the country haha.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:44 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,486,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I often say that NYC and Philly should join New Jersey to make it the #1 state in the country haha.
I love it haha. A super nj could economically rival Texas and cali in a small fraction of the land area

Old 03-28-2014, 04:16 PM

876 posts, read 987,038 times
Quote:
American proletariat? Hilarious. Please, if you're not late to your philosophy 101 class, give me more perspective from the 19th century. It is truly relevant to this world Karl Marx couldn't have even imagined.
No reason for such obnoxious snark , good sir.

Folks in urban areas vote one way and complain about how all the tax money goes all those backwards, uneducated rural areas, while folks in rural areas vote the other way and complain about how all their tax money goes to support all the deadbeats in the cities. In reality, a few very wealthy individuals and businesses are the ones that truly have the disproportionate influence over government.

The urban/rural divide is a petty excuse to keep people who's interests ought to be same at each other's throats.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:38 PM

4,743 posts, read 7,845,060 times
Quote:
Put simply Pennsylvania doesn't deserve Philadelphia. That's why I'm the leader of the Philadelphian Separatist Movement. Imagine how much better off Philadelphia would be if it didn't have to subsidize the rest of this crummy state.

Note: Nearby suburbanites don't get your knickers in a twist, you're more than welcome to join our new state. We wouldn't dream of leaving you stranded in state that would suddenly have the economic prowess of Alabama.
I'm on your side of the spectrum -- don't get me wrong. However, I personally find it counter-productive to play into to game of divisiveness. You're absolutely right that there's an entrenched urban-rural divide in Pennsylvania, and this works against progress in so many ways and HUGELY neglects the state of reaching its true potential.

The main counter-point I'd like to make is that this is far from a Philadelphia-only problem. Yes, Philly is the major target of this rural-based, (essentially GOP) criticism and contempt in Harrisburg given its size but cities like Pittsburgh, Allentown, Reading, Lancaster, Erie, Scranton, etc. all receive very similar scrutiny and criticism -- it's just not amplified as loudly.

In other words, it is important not to alienate other urban advocates in other parts of the state and look for as broad a coalition as possible. Despite the caricature that we often have of vast farmland, rolling hills/mountains, and the Amish, Pennsylvania's population is by-and-large urban/metropolitan. It may come as a shock to many, but Pennsylvania is the 9th most densely populated state in the US: List of U.S. states by population density - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It's a much more urban place than many politicians care to admit.

Additionally, there's huge reason to be optimistic about the future. It's more than abundantly clear that the rural areas of the state are on the decline -- and what little net-growth there currently is in Pennsylvania is occurring almost entirely in the southeastern quadrant (Philadelphia, Lehigh Valley and Lancaster/York/Harrisburg areas):Census 2010 Offers Portrait of America in Transition | Newgeography.com

This is not to urge or wish their demise (in fact, many could bring a renaissance to their areas by embracing their smaller urban centers), but I bring this up to suggest that the state political leadership has no choice but to become much more pro-metropolitan in their outlook and representation (eventual redistricting). Major metros like Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are the future of Pennsylvania, as well as the rest of the country. The Republicans had their chance in state office and have failed pretty miserably; it's looking pretty likely that Pennsylvania will experience a much greater Democratic wave in the future (starting with the Governorship) that will only advance policies that promote urban assets.

Last edited by Duderino; 03-28-2014 at 05:54 PM..

Old 03-29-2014, 07:27 AM

10,026 posts, read 14,474,108 times
perhaps it is this state of decline that makes them perfect candidates for "blame the other guy" rhetoric. after all, Philadelphia was also in decline for years and its politicians exerted effort to blame the rural areas and the suburbs for its problems. always easier to blame the other guy, not unlike venezuela blaming the US for ALL its problems. the fact that the Republicans and Dems have divided us this way just further undermines our political system. Jimbo is right of course, it isn't about city vs country, it's about special interests (be they unions or wealthy "friends." I think it might even be hard to argue that this anti-urban rhetoric is its biggest problem. It's Philadelphia and Pittsburgh's Ferlo that are blocking plcb privaization. most of the state supported a shale tax. Is it really city vs rural areas that makes the state have the nation's highest flat CNI? what about the state's bureaucracy?
transportation seems to be where the policy has the biggest impact but even there Republicans voted to increase funding but it's clear that the money had to run out from the feds before anything changed. Harrisburg likes to help its special interests but otherwise they hate change of any sort.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:35 AM

13,348 posts, read 18,629,509 times
If you think people hate Philadelphia, ask people in downstate Illinois how they feel about Chicago, or how people in south Georgia feel about Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia