U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 12:57 PM

3,260 posts, read 4,877,400 times

Advertisements

I vote that after three pages of un-returned bashing of Minnesota, this thread should stop with the attempted trashing of Minnesota/Twin Cities (because, what?), and get back to the original topic of snarking on PA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 12:58 PM

695 posts, read 381,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
The metric is not definitive, but the number of large companies headquartered in the Twin Cities metro is very impressive and definitely means it is a significant U.S. city.
Fine, the next time I want to visit the worlds largest privately held food processor, I know where to go.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:02 PM

695 posts, read 381,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
I vote that after three pages of un-returned bashing of Minnesota, this thread should stop with the attempted trashing of Minnesota/Twin Cities (because, what?), and get back to the original topic of snarking on PA.
Actually the Not-Philadelphia areas of Pennsylvania are superior to Philly. I know this because there are 11
Fortune 500 companies headquartered outside the city, and only 10 headquartered within.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:10 PM

8,520 posts, read 10,848,867 times
Quote:
I agree. It's sort of strange how a thread about Philly putting Pennsylvania back on the map turns into a free-for-all Minnesota bash fest. lol.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:29 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,123,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I agree. It's sort of strange how a thread about Philly putting Pennsylvania back on the map turns into a free-for-all Minnesota bash fest. lol.
I completely agree that the Minnesota bashing was pretty random and does not make sense, especially in the context of the main thread topic. However, I also feel that the idea of Pennsylvania ever being off the map is rather odd. With that being said, I hope Philadelphia and Pittsburgh continue to thrive and I agree with pman's other thread in the PA forum that both major cities in the state need to work together more often.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:55 PM

10,026 posts, read 14,474,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
those butter making bastards

Old 04-03-2014, 04:29 PM

1,283 posts, read 1,881,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
And a ton of visitors going to King or Prussia Mall, the second largest Mall in the US after Mall of America.
Yeah - it's not the same though. People actually go to Minneapolis to go to the mall. I personally couldn't stand the place - being there is like being a witness to everything that's wrong with America. But it's a much bigger deal than King of Prussia.

Quote:
Philly ranks higher in education. No school in Minneapolis comes close to the prestige of the University of Pennsylvania. Minneapolis has a more robust economy currently, I guess, but Philadelphia's is still SO MUCH larger. No matter what way you cut it. And the cultural attractions in Philadelphia are consistently ranked higher than Minneapolis whether it is museums, ballet, opera, symphony, theater, nightlife, restaurants, or any other attraction imaginable.... so I'm a little confused why you're selling Philly short.
I'm not selling Philly short at all - I don't know that I really said anything negative about Philadelphia in terms of culture, I think they're on a pretty equal footing. I never really planned to be a part of this thread, but I kept on coming back to the random and out of the blue Minnesota bashing and felt like chiming in. Minneapolis has a big theater scene that the people there are FEROCIOUSLY proud of, art museums (the main art museum being good, but not on the level of Philadelphia's, but is also free everyday - located in South Minneapolis I used to just walk there on a whim and hang out for an hour, a wonderful luxury). The orchestra is big, as well as mainstream and alternative music (first avenue is nationally known). They have an amazing parks system that has a lot of support from the city (to sort of go along with that, biking is really big). Public radio is really, really big (I owe my own love of public radio to my Minneapolis friends).

They have good restaurants too - I'm not so much into fine dining, but they have great cheap food along Lake Street in South Minneapolis (and when I say that the neighborhoods have a lot of the energy there, I mean it - in my old dinky and dangerous corner of South Minneapolis I had two "big city" concepts within walking distance to me, the Midtown Global Market (think a lower key Reading Terminal with more emphasis on ethnic stuff) and Mercado Central (a big hispanic marketplace) plus the other stuff going on on Lake).

The University Penn is in a league of very few, that's for sure. Education and health are the big industries in Philadelphia. What I was trying to get at, and did a bad job of saying it, was the education level of residents is very high. The education level of folks in Minneapolis ranks up there with NY, Boston, and San Francisco. And the public schools do a pretty good job of offering kids opportunities. I was talking to an old buddy of mine living in NE Minneapolis (think Kensington/Port Richmond type of area in terms of traditional demographics) and he was talking about how excited he was to be choosing where to send his daughter to school soon, and I literally did a double take for a minute, since I'm so used to schools being one of the main factors driving working and middle class folks from the city. My wife got a wonderful public school education in a working class neighborhood courtesy of the City of St. Paul.

Quote:
Not a bad idea. To rile people up again, I spent a pretty big portion of my life in PA, but outside of the Philly region, and things can be pretty sad out there. Not only in the small towns and countryside, but most of the small cities have problems as serious as Philadelphia, only with a lot less people who care or notice. Pennsylvania is an extremely urban state, but doesn't seem to understand the city's role as being the basis for the economy.

If anyone ever gets to feeling too down about Philadelphia, take a look on google earth of some of the small cities further west. They have a good thread about this on the PA main forum.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:45 PM

4,743 posts, read 7,845,060 times
Quote:
I completely agree that the Minnesota bashing was pretty random and does not make sense, especially in the context of the main thread topic. However, I also feel that the idea of Pennsylvania ever being off the map is rather odd. With that being said, I hope Philadelphia and Pittsburgh continue to thrive and I agree with pman's other thread in the PA forum that both major cities in the state need to work together more often.
Exactly. Pittsburgh and Philadelphia need each other more than they ever have before to get anything accomplished in Harrisburg.

Overall, Pennsylvania has enormous assets, resources and potential. The major issue is that citizens have to challenge the status quo. The political leadership is completely lackluster -- without any sense of vision for the future. The state has done so much to deindustrialize its economy and has a great foundation of diverse industries--now it needs to think ahead about how to drive healthier economic growth and compete with other large states (e.g., New York, California, Illinois, Florida, and Texas) for top human capital and good public amenities.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:16 PM

3,260 posts, read 4,877,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Exactly. Pittsburgh and Philadelphia need each other more than they ever have before to get anything accomplished in Harrisburg.

Overall, Pennsylvania has enormous assets, resources and potential. The major issue is that citizens have to challenge the status quo. The political leadership is completely lackluster -- without any sense of vision for the future. The state has done so much to deindustrialize its economy and has a great foundation of diverse industries--now it needs to think ahead about how to drive healthier economic growth and compete with other large states (e.g., New York, California, Illinois, Florida, and Texas) for top human capital and good public amenities.
Taxing fracking would be a good start. Then with the dough, maybe restore funding to schools and other things that benefit Pennsylvanians.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:36 PM

8,702 posts, read 12,373,638 times
Quote:
Fortune 500 companies with international presence mean not only jobs, but international significance for an area.
I worded it wrong. Was typing fast on my iphone. I should've said that Fortune 500 companies aren't the entire economic picture.... for instance Minneapolis has more Fortune 500 companies than Philly but Philly still has a MUCH larger economy.

There are plenty of massive well-known companies based in Philadelphia that are not on the Fortune 500 list:

Beneficial Bank
Blank Rome
Boscov's
Burlington Coat Factory
Day & Zimmerman
DuPont
Endo Pharmaceuticals
FMC
Destination Maternity
Pep Boys
Urban Outfitters
Vanguard (one of the largest and most prestigious Financial firms in the US)
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (best ranked and most prestigious Children's Hospital in the US)
Independence Blue Cross
AstraZeneca
HSBC Bank USA
Hyundai Rotem USA
ING Direct
IKEA North America
Subaru of America
TD Bank North America
Boeing Rotorcraft (subdivision of Boeing)
Rohm and Haas
Tastykake

...and on and on and on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia