U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 10:40 PM

8,702 posts, read 12,373,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack2000 View Post
Actually the Not-Philadelphia areas of Pennsylvania are superior to Philly. I know this because there are 11
Fortune 500 companies headquartered outside the city, and only 10 headquartered within.
Hmmmm...

I hope you're sarcastic. Are you comparing the entire state to Philadelphia? Philadelphia has HALF of the states Fortune 500 companies. The rest are spread out throughout the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 03:37 AM

1,283 posts, read 1,881,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
I worded it wrong. Was typing fast on my iphone. I should've said that Fortune 500 companies aren't the entire economic picture.... for instance Minneapolis has more Fortune 500 companies than Philly but Philly still has a MUCH larger economy.

There are plenty of massive well-known companies based in Philadelphia that are not on the Fortune 500 list:
You win, since there's no other economic activity in Minneapolis besides those few Fortune 500 companies. The rest of the people are just hangers on. On the other hand, Dallas and Houston have much bigger GDP's than Philadelphia, so I suppose they're even more world class than us.

Also, Boscov's is in Reading (they don't even have a store in the city of Philadelphia) and ING Direct no longer exists in the USA.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
You win, since there's no other economic activity in Minneapolis besides those few Fortune 500 companies. The rest of the people are just hangers on. On the other hand, Dallas and Houston have much bigger GDP's than Philadelphia, so I suppose they're even more world class than us.

Also, Boscov's is in Reading (they don't even have a store in the city of Philadelphia) and ING Direct no longer exists in the USA.
Jeez man. You are really on Minneapolis' nuts aren't you? Okay fair enough. They're superior to Philadelphia. End of conversation.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:18 AM

3,260 posts, read 4,877,400 times
LOL @ this thread. No one try to be reasonable, now!

Old 04-04-2014, 10:27 AM

8,520 posts, read 10,848,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
Philly is much closer in size to cities like Houston and Dallas than it is to Minneapolis. You could say the very same thing for GDP. Also cities like Houston, Dallas, and Philly are generally considered to be in the same tier in world Class rankings. They are all below Chicago, NYC, and Los Angeles.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:33 AM

695 posts, read 381,554 times
Houston and Dallas are oil cities. Yes, they have money, but no one wants to live there.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack2000 View Post
Houston and Dallas are oil cities. Yes, they have money, but no one wants to live there.
Right, no one at all. I mean, they're just the fastest growing big cities in America.

This is just like how NO ONE cares about Minnesota.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:07 AM

695 posts, read 381,554 times
People are moving to North Dakota too. I guess just because it's such an awesome place to live and everyone wants to be there.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Right, no one at all. I mean, they're just the fastest growing big cities in America.

This is just like how NO ONE cares about Minnesota.
People are moving to Houston and Dallas because there are jobs there... that doesn't NECESSARILY mean people ACTUALLY want to live there.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:32 AM

It's true, not necessarily! But the google-mind app on my computer is broken, so I cannot tell what faraway people are definitely thinking, or whether they currently hate their life choices.

But I'm pretty sure that deep down, everyone has the same preferences as me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia