Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 08:16 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,017,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I really do hate that term. I feel like it's an insult to anyone who has ever lived in the state.
I feel like it is an insult to people from Kentucky. What have they ever done to be compared to the middle of Pennsylvania?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 08:17 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,736,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I really do hate that term. I feel like it's an insult to anyone who has ever lived in the state.
You're not the only one. For that matter, I've actually been to Alabama several times, and the only way it reminded me of central Pennsylvania was the mountain ranges. I actually have a basis for comparison, unlike most of the *******s who believe in the "Philadelphia/Pittsburgh/Alabama" paradigm.

By the way, how is it that Minnesota can elect a lunatic like Michelle Bachmann and a moron like Pat Garofalo to public office and not get nearly the **** for it that Pennsylvania gets for Rick Santorum? At least Pennsylvania got rid of Santorum after they realized he's bat**** crazy.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
You're not the only one. For that matter, I've actually been to Alabama several times, and the only way it reminded me of central Pennsylvania was the mountain ranges. I actually have a basis for comparison, unlike most of the *******s who believe in the "Philadelphia/Pittsburgh/Alabama" paradigm.

By the way, how is it that Minnesota can elect a lunatic like Michelle Bachmann and a moron like Pat Garofalo to public office and not get nearly the **** for it that Pennsylvania gets for Rick Santorum? At least Pennsylvania got rid of Santorum after they realized he's bat**** crazy.
Haha you forgot to mention Jesse "the body" Ventura. Claiming to be better at electing politicians than the state of Minnesota is most assuredly a pathetically low bar to hurdle.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:43 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,736,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Haha you forgot to mention Jesse "the body" Ventura. Claiming to be better at electing politicians than the state of Minnesota is most assuredly a pathetically low bar to hurdle.
You're missing my point. Minnesota has elected plenty of idiots and crazies to public office, but nobody says that Minnesota is "backwards" for it, the way they do Pennsylvania for Rick Santorum, even though he was roundly rejected eight years ago and hasn't held public office since. Seems like a double standard to me.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
You're missing my point. Minnesota has elected plenty of idiots and crazies to public office, but nobody says that Minnesota is "backwards" for it, the way they do Pennsylvania for Rick Santorum, even though he was roundly rejected eight years ago and hasn't held public office since. Seems like a double standard to me.
You're forgetting a key fact here. No one really cares about Minnesota. If the state was a utopia and only elected certified geniuses people likely wouldn't care about that either. Besides the half life of mocking someone for electing rick santorum to any position for even a moment is about 20 years. We've still got years of shame ahead of us, buckle down.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:02 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,856,932 times
Quote:
You're forgetting a key fact here. No one really cares about Minnesota. If the state was a utopia and only elected certified geniuses people likely wouldn't care about that either.
The first notion in your post is absurd, the Minneapolis/St.Paul area is a thriving world class metro with two major cities. There are many people who care about Minnesota and the political climate is very unique. There is definitely a major divide between the Twin Cities and the other parts of Minnesota, but overall the state is left leaning and very accepting of people of diverse backgrounds and lifestyles. It is surprising when people like Tim Pawlenty or Michele Bachmann are elected in the same state as Jesse Ventura and Al Franken.

Last edited by trackstar13; 04-02-2014 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 04-02-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
The first notion in your post is absurd, the Minneapolis/St.Paul area is a thriving world class metro with two major cities. There are many people who care about Minnesota and the political climate is very unique. There is definitely a major divide between the Twin Cities and the other parts of Minnesota, but overall the state is left leaning and very accepting of people of diverse backgrounds and lifestyles. It is surprising when people like Tim Pawlenty or Michele Bachmann are elected in the same state as Jesse Ventura and Al Franken.
I was joking. Cute that you think the twin cities are world class though. Endearing really.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:59 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,116,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Bleh I honestly don't think of Philly as being PA at all. When I think of PA I think of Pennsyltucky and Pittsburgh. Philly is its own thing.
No offense, but it doesn't matter. Facts are facts. PA is very diverse and has many different "feels". That's part of its appeal. Also, Pennsyltucky? I wish that term would go away.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:07 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,225,960 times
Quote:
I was joking. Cute that you think the twin cities are world class though. Endearing really.
The Twin Cities and Philadelphia are both ranked Beta cities I believe. They have a few things in common, one big one being that they tend to live in the shadows of other places. Chicago being their version of New York, DC, and Boston (of course, things are also more spread out in the midwest - Chicago's a good 8 hours away - so you have a little more sense of Minneapolis being the sort of "center of the universe" for many folks - in my five years there without a car, I rarely left the city for things that weren't really big events - here I go to other cities and towns all the time).

Really, they are pretty similar in terms of opportunities people often associate with the city - cultural and social stuff. They're honestly pretty similar as far as public transit goes - Philadelphia has the obviously bigger and better system, but Minneapolis has a pretty efficient system that can serves the core of the city well for those without a car (and the expanded area for those commuting downtown) and is doing much better at making improvements. What the Twin Cities has is an amazing economy - a 5% unemployment rate versus our 11%, and a downtown that is a much clearer center of commerce for the region that ours is. The big key to understanding Minneapolis is that there is so much attention and energy is in the neighborhoods, as the downtown area doesn't have that big of a residential population. And it's not (although there is plenty) so heavily based on young folks as our greater Center City area, something I really enjoyed (never quite having fit in well with folks my own age).

Not to nay say on Philadelphia, I've enjoyed my time here more than I did in Minneapolis, although not in every category. But you'd think that Philadelphians, more than anybody, would be above acting as if other places were insignificant, since they're so often on the wrong side of that silliness.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:49 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
You need to get out more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia