Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 11:15 AM

337 posts, read 268,570 times

Advertisements

Hello all! So I completed an internship in your great city last summer and am returning to continue to work down there!! I am a 24 y/o female artist. I am not attracted to the college lifestyle necessarily but do want a neighborhood with a good population of people in my age range. I lived in West Philly and loved it. However, I am also looking at East Falls/Manayunk area because it seems to be a bit safer and cheaper. I do not have a car, so I am relying on public transport and my feet.

Can anyone give me insight into the lifestyle differences between East Falls and West Philly (Spruce Hill/Cedar Park)?

Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 01:49 PM

166 posts, read 278,293 times
I'm no expert, but I think it would be harder to live in Manayunk since there aren't many buses there. I think that could inconvenience you a lot if you're trying to get some grocery shopping done, or are just trying to get to another section of the city without having to hop on bus-to-bus to do so.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:04 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,654 times
I'd be surprised if Manayunk and East Falls were cheaper than West Philly, besides for the immediate undergrad area of University City. A lot of what I see is pretty pricey for rentals, in my opinion, and Manayunk has lots of college residents (although it's not completely geared to them). Roxborough, just up the hill from Manayunk, can be a little cheaper.

There are plenty of buses in the Manayunk/East Falls/Roxborough Area. Off the top of my head, the 9, 27, 32, 38 and 61 serving downtown. The 35 is a neighborhood loop. And the 65, R, and K provide crosstown service. Plus the regional rail.

There's plenty to do in Manayunk. East Falls is a little sleepier. Roxborough is somewhere in between, but more blue collar than Manayunk. Unfortunately, as is often the case in Philly (both further out neighborhoods and neighborhood closer to Center City) stuff like grocery shopping gravitates towards strip malls outside of neighborhood centers. But you could make a go of it still. There's an Acme on Ridge Avenue in Roxborough's main street shopping (as well as several further up Ridge Avenue in more car centric places).

Perhaps you'd also be interested in Chestnut Hill, Mount Airy, or Germantown (each neighborhood less expensive than the one before) - Germantown Avenue with the route 23 is one of more significant transit and pedestrian friendly commercial streets in Philadelphia. Several spots in those neighborhoods have good train service and access to other buses as well.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:05 PM

744 posts, read 775,614 times
East Falls, Manyunk, and the UCity neighborhoods are all great areas. You can live in any of those neighborhoods without a car but it will be a bit easier in West Philly due to the bus, trolley, el access.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:54 PM

82 posts, read 82,682 times
In addition to the easier access to public transportation, West Philly has far better options and variety as far as restaurants and bars go.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:20 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,117,135 times
Without a car, West Philly is definitely the way to go.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:04 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,521,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayei View Post
Hello all! So I completed an internship in your great city last summer and am returning to continue to work down there!! I am a 24 y/o female artist. I am not attracted to the college lifestyle necessarily but do want a neighborhood with a good population of people in my age range. I lived in West Philly and loved it. However, I am also looking at East Falls/Manayunk area because it seems to be a bit safer and cheaper. I do not have a car, so I am relying on public transport and my feet.

Can anyone give me insight into the lifestyle differences between East Falls and West Philly (Spruce Hill/Cedar Park)?

Thanks so much!!
Think of your well-being. You'll be safer and more comfortable in Manayunk.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:41 PM

82 posts, read 82,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
Taking the Ridge bus into Center City? Come on now.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:01 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,521,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Taking the Ridge bus into Center City? Come on now.
No. Walking around the neighborhood on a warm summer evening. The bus is generally safe.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:34 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,117,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
I get what you're saying and there is truth to it, but there are substantial parts of West Philly that are fine. I live in Spruce Hill and it's fine here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: