U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2014, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 2,201 times

Advertisements

I am from Milwaukee, WI and studied here for my undergraduate degree. I recently found out I got accepted to both Drexel University in Philadelphia and UIC in Chicago. However, though UIC is closer and more accessible to me (because I could still live in Milwaukee)...I am VERY interested in Philadelphia.

I have never been there, but through my inspiration to pursue my master's in Public Health and focus my career on urban space and community...Philly kind of popped up in my mind. Several people around me say Philly is dangerous..."Be careful!" But people also said that to me when I moved from Madison to Milwaukee.

Anywho...I just want to know what a city like Philadelphia will offer a young man, 24, gay identified? I desire a change of pace and relocation..but it is a scary step.

Neighborhoods? I currently live in a neighborhood in Milwaukee called Riverwest. It's notoriously grungy, bohemian, corner bar, bike everywhere kind of neighborhood. It is full of young aspiring activists and is home to a co-op bar! Though it is closer to what people consider here the "hood", I like it because it provides a way for people from ALL parts of the city to feel comfortable here. This is also a neighborhood where you see a LOT of live, LOCAL music.

Suggestions? I would be going to school full-time so lower-income I presume. Student life, yay.

My name is Sam. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 12:09 PM

6,233 posts, read 5,567,861 times
Well I am a current student at Drexel, so I can share my experiences with you.

Chicago and Philadelphia are both great cities, but if you feel the need to just be further away then I think you would be very pleased with Philly. If you not fimilar with the area, Drexel and University of Pennsylvania are both large college campuses in University City/West Philly, which is a 15 minute walk or 10 minutes drive/subway ride to Center City. U City is on a building boom, new apartments, research and institutional buildings going up left and right, many new restaurants, coffee houses, bars, etc. especially around Drexel.

Living near Drexel, there is a mix of high end housing and a simple apartment in a neighborhood called Powelton Village just off campus, where I currently live. Just do not stray too far west, then it goes down hill. But Drexel and surrounding is generally very safe, a lot of public safety officers around at night, I have never felt uncomfortable in the 4 years I have been here. Drexel in general is a very urban city lifestyle, so if you enjoy that lifestyle (I do) then you will be very comfortable.

People are also very accepting, there are many different people at Drexel, you will never have a problem being openly gay, and there is a lot of great gay nightlife in Center City in a trendy section called "The Gayborhood" a good amount of dance clubs, bars, cafes, etc. Living near Drexel you can easily take the subway or a taxi and be there in 10 minutes.

I am not familiar with the public health program, if you need to travel to Hahnemann Hospital in Center City, but there are shuttle buses that take students there.

Anyway I hope I could help a little bit, maybe a visit before would help your decision, but I think you adjust well to Philly.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:41 PM

884 posts, read 1,332,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capricioussam View Post
I am from Milwaukee, WI and studied here for my undergraduate degree. I recently found out I got accepted to both Drexel University in Philadelphia and UIC in Chicago. However, though UIC is closer and more accessible to me (because I could still live in Milwaukee)...I am VERY interested in Philadelphia.

I have never been there, but through my inspiration to pursue my master's in Public Health and focus my career on urban space and community...Philly kind of popped up in my mind. Several people around me say Philly is dangerous..."Be careful!" But people also said that to me when I moved from Madison to Milwaukee.

Anywho...I just want to know what a city like Philadelphia will offer a young man, 24, gay identified? I desire a change of pace and relocation..but it is a scary step.

Neighborhoods? I currently live in a neighborhood in Milwaukee called Riverwest. It's notoriously grungy, bohemian, corner bar, bike everywhere kind of neighborhood. It is full of young aspiring activists and is home to a co-op bar! Though it is closer to what people consider here the "hood", I like it because it provides a way for people from ALL parts of the city to feel comfortable here. This is also a neighborhood where you see a LOT of live, LOCAL music.

Suggestions? I would be going to school full-time so lower-income I presume. Student life, yay.

My name is Sam. Thank you.
If you're looking for a similar neighborhood to the one you describe in Milwaukee, try Northern Liberties/Fishtown.

If you want to be at the center of Gay culture in the city, go for Washington Square West, if you can afford it.

The areas immediately adjacent to Penn and Drexel are also a nice mix of ages, races, and ethnicities.

Anywhere in Center City, Fairmount, or much of South Philly will be urban and inviting.

Further away, Mt. Airy has a similar Bohemian vibe, but is more suburban (though still part of the city). Manayunk is also a very hip area.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:03 AM

10,026 posts, read 14,479,561 times
sounds like he might like west philly in the vicinity of 50th and baltimore ave

Old 03-29-2014, 04:31 PM

16 posts, read 18,316 times
You can also look into east falls/manayunk area. Drexel has a shuttle from their east falls medical campus no charge to their center city campus that runs almost every 30 minutes....dont have to worry about parking, rent is cheaper than center city and you have a good 10 minute bus ride to decompress/relax before classes. And you dont have to deal with these crazy drivers

Old 03-31-2014, 04:59 PM

22,632 posts, read 12,791,450 times
University City, where most college students live, is very LGBT friendly. It is a very diverse neighborhood with quirky shops, bookstores, coffeeshops, pubs, pizzerias, and ethnic restaurants. A much cheaper option than renting an apartment is being a housemate in one of our large old Victorian houses.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:00 PM

1,567 posts, read 2,664,213 times
Hi Sam, everyone is giving you great advice and you can't really go wrong with any of the above suggestions. Personally, I think University City might be your best bet, but I'm biased since I live here myself. It's got the right combination of rental affordability, stuff to do, gay friendliness and easy access via trolley to other areas. It's both beautiful and grungy all at the same time. Good luck.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,201 times
Thank you all for the suggestions.

I am looking greatly into either U City or Fishtown. My fear of living right by the school (Drexel) is that I won't venture out often. By moving here for school, I also want to be able to experience this as both a student and a NEW resident to the city. I want to familiarize myself with the city as much as possible.

Like I said earlier, I don't really worry about LGBT acceptance and always being in those areas, but I just want a neighborhood where I can go to a grungy coffee shop, maybe see a local band...I love local music a lot and is my best forum for meeting new friends. Gay bars really are not my scene. :/

Old 04-11-2014, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 875 times
Sam, Philadelphia is an amazing city with so many places to venture to once you find your home! From the Gayborhood to University City, from South Philly to Fishtown and every street in between, Philly is definitely a people's paradise. Theatre, shopping, eating and drinks, Philadelphia has everything that you are looking for and then some!

At Tower Place, we offer spectacular views of the city, without living in the thick of things. We're also located directly on the Broad Street Subway (BSS) line, with easy access to downtown Center City, UPenn, Drexel and Temple University! Currently we are also offering students who don't have cars an opportunity to have their Transpass paid for which would give you access to the BSS, Market-Frankford Line (MFL) and the city's buses so you can literally travel the city on us! If you would like more information about Tower Place, please reach out to us 215.940.9929! Our offices are open seven days a week and our amazing leasing team can help you get settled in your new home and new city in no time! Good luck on your new home search, hopefully we can help you find the perfect place to call home!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or