U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2014, 02:37 PM

182 posts, read 311,283 times

Advertisements

Is Templetown a safe area of the city? I spoke to a couple of students that live around there, and some of them said some crime happens there but it's not reported because the University police usually cover it up, and others said it was like living in a third world country (but they were typically suburban). I was also looking at student's review and they were complaining about the area as well. I know that in all areas of the city you should have your guard up, but I was thinking that in Templetown you could lax a little more and worry less about crime? My friend is thinking about moving into that area and I was trying to give her a reference, thanks! She's familiar with the city and she lives in Upper Darby, if that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 04:06 PM

10 posts, read 20,039 times
Don't know why the hell anyone would move from Upper Darby to North Central... yeah there is basically an army of police in the area but they mostly stay within the boundaries of Temple's campus. People are hesitant to commit crimes against Temple students in the area because they know the police and the university will crack down on them. However, between the university's PR and the Philly PD's treatment of the area, I'm sure crime goes unreported. The student presence is most heavily concentrated and radiates out from around 16th & Montgomery, and you don't have to worry much about crime from students, but once you get to about 20th street on any of the "Templetown" streets you are surrounded by Philadelphia Housing Authority projects. As far as the other side of Broad St. (east), it's mostly the same thing: students living on the streets closest to campus, with lots of PHA buildings and run-down neighborhoods beyond.

Don't really know about safety during the summer months when most students go away. Overall, I would say anyone with enough street smarts can stay safe in the relatively small Templetown bubble, but it's still a rough area overall that is close to some of worst neighborhoods in North Philly (Strawberry Mansion, Badlands, etc.).

Old 03-28-2014, 05:27 PM

She's going to college there and is looking into her own housing, since she hates living with other people (dorms).

Old 03-28-2014, 07:55 PM

10 posts, read 20,039 times
Oh... well that's an important detail you left out there. You made it seem like a non-student wanted to move in. She's gonna be fine, as long as she's not averse to drunk college students or poor black people. Then again I'm providing the male perspective and I have no idea how different it feels for a girl by herself in north philly.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:08 AM

275 posts, read 328,671 times
If you're going to Temple, I'd suggest living off campus. Buy a bike or take the BSL from Center City or South Philly. Many students there do this. While Templetown is relatively safe, there's not much going on up there to justify living there.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:39 AM

She only has about $800 she can spend in rent...I'm not quite sure if she can afford to live in any part of Center City, really. She might be able to end up on the outskirts of U city.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:53 AM

8,702 posts, read 12,373,638 times
I went to Temple for 4 years, and lived right off of campus all four years. First two years I lived at 15th and Norris, second two years at 16th and Diamond.

The area surrounding campus changed SO MUCH in the four years, it's really unbelievable, ESPECIALLY the latter two years I was there. So many new buildings going up. Tons of new construction on once barren and empty blocks. It was a very impressive sight to see.

Now they are building new highrise dorms up there (one 27 floors the other 14 floors).

Whoever thinks there is nothing to do up there is just flat out wrong. I had the time of my life living right by campus, ALWAYS student events going on, ALWAYS parties to go to. Frat parties, house parties. The bars (Maxi's and Draught Horse) get PACKED during the week with students. Draught Horse is the place to be on a Wednesday night. Pub Webb is okay, but more locals go there. During the weekends, we also went out and about in the city, Rittenhouse, Old City, NoLibs, UCity. Wherever we wanted. Rumor is there is a new bar opening around campus too. There is also a movie theater, and a grocery store (Fresh Grocer). It was nice just being near campus too, and being near classes, the Tech Center and the Library. Also having access to both the regional rail and Broad Street line was a HUGE plus to get anywhere in the city in a matter of minutes. It's not like you're excluded on an island up there with no way to get around the city. Being by Temple, it's easier to access other parts of the city than it is to access the city from most areas of South Philly. There is always cabs going back and forth on Broad Street too.

Point is, if you are a Temple student, LIVE BY CAMPUS. Your friend won't regret it, she'll have a blast. I'd advise living between Broad Street, 18th Street, Diamond Street and Master Street. Going west past 18th can get you into some pretty sketchy areas, but development is pushing out to 19th. Also, going north of Diamond can get you into pretty sketchy areas unless you're on Park Ave, and even then, I wouldn't go north of Dauphin. Lastly, I wouldn't recommend going east past the train tracks either. Most of the neighborhoods to the south of campus are good or improving. Most people mistake Yorktown as a bad area, but it's a middle class African American area. Francisville just to the south is improving as well. Then you hit Spring Garden/Fairmount. The only area that can get sketchy south of Temple is the Richard Allen projects between Girard Ave, Fairmount Ave, Broad St and the train tracks.

Hope that information helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or