U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 09:48 PM

15,338 posts, read 10,557,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
While the city of Philadelphia is a very Liberal Gay City some of these suburban main line communities with huge Republican leanings may be cause for concern. Villanova for sure.
Huge Republican leanings? Villanova is 60-40 Democrat. What else are you gonna say? That the Republican party is the party of the rich?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 10:09 PM

7,476 posts, read 10,242,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Huge Republican leanings? Villanova is 60-40 Democrat. What else are you gonna say? That the Republican party is the party of the rich?
In case you haven't noticed, he's been making some interesting posts as of late.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:24 AM

15,338 posts, read 10,557,160 times
Sorry, didn't notice his screen name!

Old 04-03-2014, 07:19 AM

184 posts, read 691,262 times
There's a Facebook group called Equality Lower Merion that perhaps you could check out. People are pretty socially liberal/progressive in LM. I am sure they would be welcoming, but that said, I haven't met any gay or lesbian couples here.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:18 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,306 posts, read 2,290,450 times
Villanova might be fiscally conservative. However like what everybody said, Philadelphia suburbs are socially liberal.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 658 times
Even among the "liberal latte crowd" there are still little islands of unexpected anti gay and also anti single islands of bias. But I guess that's true anywhere.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:18 AM

90 posts, read 96,984 times
Just curious, how do you quantify how gay friendly an area is? Is it based off of how many gay people live in the area, and if so how do you identify whether or not a person is gay?!?! Or is this just a word of mouth kind of thing?

Old 05-13-2015, 09:00 AM

10,279 posts, read 5,943,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyTightWad View Post
Just curious, how do you quantify how gay friendly an area is? Is it based off of how many gay people live in the area, and if so how do you identify whether or not a person is gay?!?! Or is this just a word of mouth kind of thing?
It's more than word of mouth because Philadelphia has had a physical, Gayborhood, for as long as I can remember. I'm 65. It was an undesirable part of CC years ago. But today it's probably one of the major attractions in CC because of the restaurants, millenial influx and desire for urban living and tolerant atmosphere.

Plus the city has gay oriented amenities. A real gay bookstore. Afaik I know there are no gay bookstores anymore in NYC or DC. A facility and residence for lgbt elders; Phila. was the first city to have one. LGBT service center: The William Way Center.

U of PA has had an anti-discrimanation policy regarding employment LGBT people since the 70s. There's the yearly Equality Forum.

Finally a history of gay rights activism in this city. A true pioneer wrt gay rights lived in University City for decades: Barbara Gittings. Google her. You can learn about what this brave woman did.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:05 AM

7,476 posts, read 10,242,105 times
Quote:
How do you quantify how friendly an area is toward any minority group? Strength in numbers helps, and is often appreciated, but some don't mind living in a place with fewer group members as long as the population at large is tolerant.

Looks and mannerisms aren't everything, but surely you have some semblance of gaydar?

I suppose it's in part a "word of mouth kind of thing," but tangible examples of LGBT acceptance, like an anti-discrimination ordinance that passes with flying colors, are quite telling.

I'm straight, but I count a number of gay people among my close friends and family. My brother and his partner are twenty-something gay men who just moved to Wynnewood. I wouldn't recommend the area for anyone seeking a vibrant gay scene, but not everybody is after that.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:44 AM

6,237 posts, read 5,570,825 times
Quote:

Diversity in said area and wealth always helps

But honestly it is 2015, in the vast majority of Philly and its burbs you will be hard pressed to find people who are outwardly rude or unaccepting of a gay couple or family. We have come quite a long way I am happy to say!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or