Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 06:52 PM

23 posts, read 70,665 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon, friends. I am looking to move to Philadelphia from South Jersey next March. I'm a 27 year old single male with an $80k/year job. However, I have a lot of student loans to pay ($700/month) so my budget is not quite as flexible as I would like. Right now I pay $930/month for housing, and I would strongly prefer to be living in Philly in the $1000-1100 range per month including parking. I can go a little higher if necessary but I want to find something that would fit this price range.

When are you moving? March next year
Where are you coming from? Blackwood, NJ. It's not an awful town but I moved here two years ago, and it doesn't have what I want. There's little crime but there's just not a lot to do.
Why are you moving? See above. Mostly to be around more like-minded people. Almost everyone from my area is the tatoos and cigarettes type.
Where will you be working? I work in different locations all around the NJ-PA area, including in Center City and the Far Northeast at times.
Have you been here yet? I know Philly's layout pretty well, but I don't know a whole lot about individual neighborhoods. I know which ones are considered good, but I don't know what is best for what I want.
Will you buy or rent? Rent
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? I don't care what type of housing it is I would say I'm looking for about 400-500 square feet, with parking, ideally for less than $1200 a month including parking. It may be a tall order but I know that it is doable. $1000 a month would be amazing.
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? I don't care as long as it's a good enough residence and the price is right.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Single with no kids, so I want to be around the ladies.
Do you have pets? No pets
Do you want or need a yard? No
Are you keeping a car? Yes, and this is a priority. I need to have reliable parking.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Activity

What do you want to be closest to?
Nightlife. Ideally close to a park as well. I'm not a big shopper, but I do like a good bookstore, library or coffee shop to hang out at.
Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Diversity is fine with me, as long as I am not out in the hood. I would generally prefer a classy neighborhood with people my age.

I just need ideas of where to look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 07:07 PM

It seems like one of the issues people bring up with moving to Philly is the city wage tax. However, NJ's state tax is higher at about 5-6% for my tax bracket while PA's is about 3%. That should help reduce the difference.

Speaking of which, has anyone heard of being charged Philadelphia city wage tax if they work in the city maybe 25% of their working hours?

Old 12-20-2015, 07:18 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,062,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemomma35 View Post
Speaking of which, has anyone heard of being charged Philadelphia city wage tax if they work in the city maybe 25% of their working hours?
Good thought but unfortunately, if you live in the city, you pay wage tax on all of your compensation, regardless of where earned.

Old 12-20-2015, 07:24 PM

Yeah, but I am just referring to this tax year, since I live in NJ. It was just a slightly relevant thought.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:30 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,062,103 times
I see. You can't be hit with wage tax for a period when you were not a resident of the city.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:54 PM

236 posts, read 316,556 times
It's going to be right next door to a ton of nightlife with your parking and budget considerations, but you could easily find a place in a nice part of South Philly or in West Philly for that price.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:53 PM

University City seems cheaper than Center City. Unfortunately I don't really see parking for less than $225 a month.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:57 PM

Does anyone know of a good source of information, or just in general, cheaper places for parking?

Old 12-22-2015, 10:27 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,433,398 times
Check Powelton Village.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:39 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,499,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemomma35 View Post
Does anyone know of a good source of information, or just in general, cheaper places for parking?
You may want to try this website for parking - Philadelphia Parking Finder | BestParking

Parkway also manages a bunch of lots/garages so you can try their website too - Parkway Corporation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: