Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2014, 02:53 PM

3 posts, read 2,583 times

Advertisements

helle people. I am a mature college international student currently studying in the US. I was trying to rent an apartment around my school. and the place that i decide to rent requires me to have a co-signer which i cant find. After negotiation, the real estate agent agrees to rent the place to me without a co-signer if i could prepaid the 6 months. The problem is that he asks me to paid the money(6600 for me and my roommate) at the time i am turning in the application to him. He promised me that if my application is not approved he will give my money back. However, on the application it says all deposits are non-refundable. After i told him that, he says i could write on the back of the application that i am to receive my payment back if i do not get accepted. he will sign and date and email it back to me. Just wanted to know is it safe to give him the money? i am so worried that he would just take the money and disappear. Please help me.

Last edited by dadadatcould; 04-01-2014 at 03:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 03:06 PM

4,513 posts, read 4,040,229 times
I wouldn't do that.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:11 PM

60 posts, read 56,413 times
Im not sure, but the guy sounds like another jerk?

Old 04-01-2014, 05:32 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,016,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadadatcould View Post
helle people. I am a mature college international student currently studying in the US. I was trying to rent an apartment around my school. and the place that i decide to rent requires me to have a co-signer which i cant find. After negotiation, the real estate agent agrees to rent the place to me without a co-signer if i could prepaid the 6 months. The problem is that he asks me to paid the money(6600 for me and my roommate) at the time i am turning in the application to him. He promised me that if my application is not approved he will give my money back. However, on the application it says all deposits are non-refundable. After i told him that, he says i could write on the back of the application that i am to receive my payment back if i do not get accepted. he will sign and date and email it back to me. Just wanted to know is it safe to give him the money? i am so worried that he would just take the money and disappear. Please help me.
No way. That's crazy. What is the application even for? Isn't the whole idea of prepaying the 6 months due to the fact that you can't get a cosigner and are unable to meet the criteria on your own? Only give him the money when signing the lease and insure that the fact that this money is being put down ahead is written into the agreement.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:09 AM

212 posts, read 610,362 times
Have you talked to the housing office at your school? I would imagine they could steer you towards landlords they've worked with in the past. Also, you might want to get in touch with the International House International House Philadelphia | Home

Old 04-06-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
No way. That's crazy. What is the application even for? Isn't the whole idea of prepaying the 6 months due to the fact that you can't get a cosigner and are unable to meet the criteria on your own? Only give him the money when signing the lease and insure that the fact that this money is being put down ahead is written into the agreement.
I am signing the lease now. All i need to do is to do a lease review. Thank you doe!

Old 04-06-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Threads View Post
Have you talked to the housing office at your school? I would imagine they could steer you towards landlords they've worked with in the past. Also, you might want to get in touch with the International House International House Philadelphia | Home
I tried to ask my school housing office for a lease review but they dont have one. i went to TURN which is a free organization in Center city. they havent reply yet. International house sounds like a good place to go. Thank you for helping!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia