Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 11:40 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Perhaps people who don't feel compelled to keep current on most TV programs within the same week.
Network shows are online the day after or in the case of ABC a week later. Most news and weather is available online. Antenna service is an option for many people. PBS is available on Roku.

NBC is putting a lot of sports online. You can get your Sunday Night Football fix without cable. A lot of hockey is now online. If you need to watch sports every day, then it is difficult to beat cable.

If you have a cable series that you like to keep current on, "Walking Dead", "The Americans", "Major Crimes", "American Horror Story" then you are stuck with paying $3 an episode. But one or two of these expenses is a fairly minor expense relative to cable.

People are more attracted to the possibility of cable. If most people really kept a diary of their viewing habits, they would see that they could probably get by with alternative means. But people don't want to give up the possibility of cable.

With the money you save on cable you can buy a pretty sweet All-in-One computer that will make it much more pleasant to watch video on-line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 08:26 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Network shows are online the day after or in the case of ABC a week later. Most news and weather is available online. Antenna service is an option for many people. PBS is available on Roku.

NBC is putting a lot of sports online. You can get your Sunday Night Football fix without cable. A lot of hockey is now online. If you need to watch sports every day, then it is difficult to beat cable.

If you have a cable series that you like to keep current on, "Walking Dead", "The Americans", "Major Crimes", "American Horror Story" then you are stuck with paying $3 an episode. But one or two of these expenses is a fairly minor expense relative to cable.

People are more attracted to the possibility of cable. If most people really kept a diary of their viewing habits, they would see that they could probably get by with alternative means. But people don't want to give up the possibility of cable.

With the money you save on cable you can buy a pretty sweet All-in-One computer that will make it much more pleasant to watch video on-line.
There are a number of stations I would like to cut out of my lineup - and therefore my bill - but it sounds like I keep up with more cable network shows than you per your post. $3 an episode would add up quickly for me and likely exceed my current cable bill. I also prefer to watch television on a television rather than a PC or laptop. (Of course, I say this as I watch WWE Extreme Rules on my laptop - via WWE Network - because I can't get the Google Chromecast to work. ) Diff'rent strokes...

Old 05-04-2014, 08:30 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
There are a number of stations I would like to cut out of my lineup - and therefore my bill - but it sounds like I keep up with more cable network shows than you per your post. $3 an episode would add up quickly for me and likely exceed my current cable bill. I also prefer to watch television on a television rather than a PC or laptop. (Of course, I say this as I watch WWE Extreme Rules on my laptop - via WWE Network - because I can't get the Google Chromecast to work. ) Diff'rent strokes...
Same here tone, I can't watch a long movie or show on a computer which will interfere with my internet browsing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia