Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2014, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 2,239 times

Advertisements

I am a california native-- loved it here as a child. It is definitely crowded here now, but its really hard for me to consider the moveWe go to OC NJ annually for summer vacation. Hubby is a pilot and wants to take a trsf to Newark and we would live in/near Wayne. The area is beauiful. People were nice-- AB Carroll HS (my son would be a freshman in the fall) and my 7th grader would attend (we hope!) St Katharine of Seina.

I just can not get my head around it and fear I will be lonely and bored without a job or family. Plus the winters terrify me. Anyone else move from the west to the east.

Are you glad? I am Catholic and my kids would have attended my alma mater. We are early 50's. I am so worried I am thinking about just staying here and sending him off to work there and learn to live without him around much

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 11:49 AM

204 posts, read 389,035 times
A lot of your question comes down to personal feelings and opinions... I would be much lonelier without my wife than I would be without former neighbors/friends nearby. But that is just my personal perception. Are you not in any position to work, volunteer, or join any clubs to meet new people? These would probably be the best ways to socialize if you're in Radnor, since it is not a high-density active area like Philly itself.

As a former NorCal resident who moved here a few years back, I have very much enjoyed it out here. Winters are not so bad (except last winter, but that was an abnormality), and usually have alternating periods of snowy cold and fairly mild days. Summer humidity is my biggest complaint, but it isn't terrible every day and if you have air conditioning it is not a huge deal. Spring and fall are great, much nicer transition periods than you get in CA. One weird thing I do miss about California is the mountains and geographic variety... most people probably don't even think about it, but for me it is strange to not see anything larger than small hills in any direction and the same kind of terrain/vegetation for miles upon miles.

Also there are some foods I miss, like real Mexican food, dutch crunch and sourdough bread, and truly fresh produce (you can find it around here, but it's more difficult to track down). However, to compensate, this area has way better Italian food, barbecue, delis, jewish foods, and a variety of cuisines I'd never had in CA like Ethiopian and Cuban. Not to mention cheesesteaks and hoagies! Buying alcohol is also a real pain, but the flipside is many restaurants are BYOB.

Culture is a little different (but you likely already know that), although I'd say the suburbs around Philly are not that different culturally than those around northern California cities. And they are much prettier, IMO. Overall I am very happy here, despite missing certain things about California, and the adjustment was not really that difficult. Plus, there are so many cheap flights between PHL and SFO it is quite easy to get back and forth.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:23 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyclerkin View Post
I am a california native-- loved it here as a child. It is definitely crowded here now, but its really hard for me to consider the moveWe go to OC NJ annually for summer vacation. Hubby is a pilot and wants to take a trsf to Newark and we would live in/near Wayne. The area is beauiful. People were nice-- AB Carroll HS (my son would be a freshman in the fall) and my 7th grader would attend (we hope!) St Katharine of Seina.

I just can not get my head around it and fear I will be lonely and bored without a job or family. Plus the winters terrify me. Anyone else move from the west to the east.

Are you glad? I am Catholic and my kids would have attended my alma mater. We are early 50's. I am so worried I am thinking about just staying here and sending him off to work there and learn to live without him around much

Any advice?
If you like affluent suburban areas, Radnor should suit you just fine, though I wonder why you picked that area specifically since he'll be commuting to Newark.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:09 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,179,553 times
Where exactly do you currently reside? Do you own your home? Many areas of Norcal are beautiful and San Francisco is a gem. But if you gaze into the future, the current drought will change things. The trees, shrubs and grass may disappear, dust and tumbleweeds will be the new environment and washing your car and maybe even your clothes may get you a big fine.

Better, IMHO, to sell your house now while the R.E. market there is hot. And why Radnor Township? If hubby works out of Newark, I'd look into Monmouth, Middlesex and Mercer Counties in NJ. That area has a lot of nice homes on level acreage and is warmer in the winter and close to both NYC, Philly and the beach.

As to new friends, you'll meet people through the R.C. church, your children's friends' parents and there are meet up groups there, too. See below.

Central New Jersey Meetup Groups - Meetup

Old 10-23-2014, 08:20 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
I would strongly encourage you to live within walking distance of the town of wayne where you can walk to the shops and the church. Winters are typically not bad by northeast standards, buy a coat fit for new england or upstate NY which will keep you warmer.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:58 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,215,138 times
I can understand the anxiety of moving cross country and as a family you have to weigh the plus and minuses for what is the best option for everyone especially your kids.

That being said I wouldnt worry about being bored. Its not like you will be moving to the middle of nowhere. Philadelphia is midpoint of the largest megalopolis on the globe. There are 60 M people within an 8 hr drive.NYC,DC,CapeMay,Pocono Mountains are only 2-3 hour drive. Philadelphia wich is a 20 minute train ride form Radnor is a tremendous cultural city that is undergoing a great downtown renaissance. Tons of authentic mexican restaurants in Center City and around the Italian Market.

The Radnor, Main Line,Lower Merion,King of Prussia,Valley Forge area is a terrific place to live especially when you compare the COL to that of the Bay Area.

There is no comparison to the geography of Cal but PA.'s landscape isnt bad. Nice area to live.

Good luck.

Valley Forge National Park which is minutes from Radnor.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1012/...15874065_b.jpg

Pulpit Rock -Hamburg.50 Miles or so NW of Radnor.

http://www.kyleshikes.com/uploads/1/...67559_orig.jpg

Old 10-23-2014, 11:52 AM

204 posts, read 389,035 times
Rainrock, I definitely agree with all you said, except I still have my doubts about this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Tons of authentic mexican restaurants in Center City and around the Italian Market.
Philly does have some really good Americanized Mexican, as well as some authentic but not-so-great quality joints, but having been to many Center City and South Philly taquerias and Mexican restaurants I am yet to find something that is both authentic and well-made. Actually the best Mexican food I've managed to find is either at food trucks in West Philly or at restaurants in Norristown and Conshohocken, and they are really just average quality. Is there somewhere you'd specifically recommend in Center City? I'm still holding out hope!

Old 10-23-2014, 12:48 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwestcoast View Post
Rainrock, I definitely agree with all you said, except I still have my doubts about this:

Philly does have some really good Americanized Mexican, as well as some authentic but not-so-great quality joints, but having been to many Center City and South Philly taquerias and Mexican restaurants I am yet to find something that is both authentic and well-made. Actually the best Mexican food I've managed to find is either at food trucks in West Philly or at restaurants in Norristown and Conshohocken, and they are really just average quality. Is there somewhere you'd specifically recommend in Center City? I'm still holding out hope!
a decent place in Blue Bell - worth a try

El Sarape

Welcome to El Sarape Blue Bell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia