U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-06-2014, 07:47 PM
 
4,101 posts, read 7,869,465 times
Reputation: 3656

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespurdy2 View Post

I saw this yesterday and it is one of the greatest articles ever written. By the way I am sorry, but in general I hate sports bars!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-07-2014, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,041 posts, read 1,281,018 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
I saw this yesterday and it is one of the greatest articles ever written. By the way I am sorry, but in general I hate sports bars!
Lousy writing, lousy list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2014, 06:42 PM
 
4,101 posts, read 7,869,465 times
Reputation: 3656
Are there any bars anymore where it's dark, smoky, and they have one of those big baloneys in a jar. The bartender is old bald,and fat. They have 3 cheap beers on tap and you can play Petula Clark on an old jukebox. A big haired South Philly Hoagie Queen in acid jeans and a Bon Jovi shirt walks in. She has had these clothes since 87 and the furthest she's been is Atlantci City. SHe asks for a light. I explain I do not smoke but I'll buy a pitcher for the both of us and maybe a shot. She smiles and happily takes a seat next to me. Does this bar exist? Somewhere in Deep South Philly. The bartender should be like Pauly from Rocky. You can ask him about the Phillies and he shrugs and says, "what are you gonna do."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2014, 10:09 AM
 
4,101 posts, read 7,869,465 times
Reputation: 3656
I am the chairmen of the dive bar preservation society on Facebook. Send a request to join.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2014, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
11,942 posts, read 10,818,746 times
Reputation: 8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Are there any bars anymore where it's dark, smoky, and they have one of those big baloneys in a jar. The bartender is old bald,and fat. They have 3 cheap beers on tap and you can play Petula Clark on an old jukebox. A big haired South Philly Hoagie Queen in acid jeans and a Bon Jovi shirt walks in. She has had these clothes since 87 and the furthest she's been is Atlantci City. SHe asks for a light. I explain I do not smoke but I'll buy a pitcher for the both of us and maybe a shot. She smiles and happily takes a seat next to me. Does this bar exist? Somewhere in Deep South Philly. The bartender should be like Pauly from Rocky. You can ask him about the Phillies and he shrugs and says, "what are you gonna do."
Haha, love it. And yes, they exist. Maybe Cheech's or Cookie's at 11th and Oregon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2014, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,041 posts, read 1,281,018 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
I am the chairmen of the dive bar preservation society on Facebook. Send a request to join.
Facebook is for suckers ... I bet you used to love McGlinchey's, yes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2014, 11:50 AM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,606 posts, read 51,790,193 times
Reputation: 9451
Its a sports bar near center city on 33rd and Market called Americana. I like the sports bar champs on 12th and Market
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2014, 12:06 PM
 
1,114 posts, read 1,966,926 times
Reputation: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Its a sports bar near center city on 33rd and Market called Americana. I like the sports bar champs on 12th and Market
Champs is no more. Not sure what, if anything, opened in that space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2014, 12:25 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,606 posts, read 51,790,193 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Champs is no more. Not sure what, if anything, opened in that space.
Well I guess Americana is the one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2014, 06:28 AM
 
256 posts, read 470,242 times
Reputation: 172
The bartenders aren't fat and bald, but the bar on Washington Ave (NEcorner) at either 7th or eighth is dark and divey. I think it's called the Friendly Tavern. Not hardcore southphilly, but not hipster either.

Great post. A video from Petula Clark "I know a place (where the lights are low).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=symsOO0EFSE

Poor quality video, but she never looked cuter. That wiggle starting at 1:47 is better than all the twerking in the world.

Draft beer at the bar must be drunk from those 7oz glasses (pilsner) not pints, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top