U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 07:26 PM

23 posts, read 30,074 times

Advertisements

I'm strongly considering a move here, but can't seem to find much available in the area from locust and 46th southeast down to Clark park. Did I lose out to students who rent plan much earlier, or is there not much out there? I've checked zillow and CL. I walked around and called a few places. If I can't find something here I've decided we are leaving Philly in favor of cheap rent in jersey's white bread collingswood or haddonfield, but I like the diversity in spruce hill and if we could find at least a 2 bedroom for under 1850$ with A/C and W/D we'd likely stay.

We have grown tired of the sterility and high rent of old city. But we are looking to rent in June and it seems empty market. Is it??!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 07:37 PM

8,702 posts, read 12,377,954 times
Everything is leased up. You're looking in the Penn Alexander school catchment zone. A lot of parents in Philly look to rent or own homes there so they can send their kids to not only one of the best schools in the city, but one of the best in the state. The rest of the availablility in this area is rented out by students.

If you want to be in a good school zone in the city, you might want to look in the Greenfield catchment of Fitler Square. If you don't need to be in a good school district check Graduate Hospital, Bella Vista, Queen Village or Fairmount

Old 04-05-2014, 07:56 PM

This was my fear. School zone would be nice, but it's mainly the diversity in the population we like. Also it feels like most of the people have small children- we love that we meet other toddlers in the street. And the parents aren't dry and stuffy. We also love the feel of Clark park. How early do things rent there?

Those other areas rent is too high for the space you get from what I see. And fairmount feels dislocated for some reason- like it's only accessible by car. Also, what's the culture like- anywhere similar to west Philly?

Old 04-05-2014, 08:56 PM

22,632 posts, read 12,795,075 times
There is a great shortage of rental housing in my neighborhood.

That is one reason why there is a sense of urgency to build the new apartment buildings at 400 S. 40th Street (@ Pine St. - "Azalea Court") and 4224 Baltimore Ave (@ Clark Park).

Old 04-06-2014, 01:21 AM

41 posts, read 28,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thankyoux2 View Post
This was my fear. School zone would be nice, but it's mainly the diversity in the population we like. Also it feels like most of the people have small children- we love that we meet other toddlers in the street. And the parents aren't dry and stuffy. We also love the feel of Clark park. How early do things rent there?

Those other areas rent is too high for the space you get from what I see. And fairmount feels dislocated for some reason- like it's only accessible by car. Also, what's the culture like- anywhere similar to west Philly?
Unfortunately, as early as February for schoolyear rentals (leases starting in June through September). It's crazy. But there are stiil a decent number of private landlords who only own just a few units that only get 60 days notice from their tenants.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:57 PM

178 posts, read 283,432 times
Adding to what TresChic said, the private and smaller landlords in this area may be a better bet for you than the large companies that rent out to students starting in February. The big companies (generally) seem to overcharge for lower quality housing and try to fill their buildings as early as possible. Private landlords may be offering equivalent or better apartments for better prices, and they post openings as they become available. As a point of reference, our current 2 bed, 2 bath unit is at the edge of the area you mentioned, completely remodeled with W/D, dishwasher, etc. for a bit over $1500 and we found it long after the student housing rush was over. Don't give up yet, just be very vigilant by continuing to check all the listing sites (and amalgamators that combine listings from around the internet), making notes of which buildings have "for rent" signs in front of them, and contacting landlords ASAP when something good pops up. Good luck!

Old 04-09-2014, 12:34 PM

Eastwest, thanks for the reference pricing. Do you know how many SF your place is? I saw one the other day but it was tiny! Then I saw another and it had roof leaks. I've been checking MLS thru a realtor, Zillow, and Craigslist. I called Ph #s on buildings and mostly no replies. There seem to be things at 50th street and up, but I think that's too far out and unsure about that area. Any other tips would be great. My lease is out June 18. When to I resign myself to not having succeeded in this area?

Thanks!!

Old 04-09-2014, 03:30 PM

178 posts, read 283,432 times
Our place is about 900 sq ft, which feels a bit on the small side for a 2 bedroom but the layout is relatively efficient (especially compared to the 700 sq ft 1 bedroom that was basically half hallway we used to rent from one of the large companies). I can't say whether there's a set time to give up on the area, it seems like now would be when a majority of the remaining June listings would be coming up. But there's always the chance of a last-minute listing looking for immediate occupancy (this one or this one, for example), but holding out for one of those is definitely risky since you need to move by a certain date. As far as other tips, I'd just keep checking sites and calling buildings. Have you used any sites like padmapper.com that combine listings from other sites into one search? It may save time and help you uncover listings you wouldn't see otherwise. Also, this is probably a longshot, but maybe take a look for any construction projects that are finishing up, like the one at 400 S 45th? These buildings will need renters soon and are more likely to have the amenities you're looking for because they're recently remodeled.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:31 AM

41 posts, read 28,207 times
Have you considered Powelton Village? It's not in the Penn Alexander cachement area but it's hardly sterile and another pretty diverse area of W Philly. It also is less dominated by large leasing companies. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Po...2d308c62ec4e81
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or