Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 10:52 PM

513 posts, read 799,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
Did the op even say he's going to use public transportation to get to work? He says he has a car ...
I have a car also... Doesn't mean it isn't nice to be a few minute walk from public transportation to get places. Especially Temple. I was a student there and its either 1) spend half an hour finding a spot in the projects and then walking from however far you had to park or 2) "buy" a space for the semester at $375 a pop. That quickly adds up if you have to get a spot every semester. So yes, I'd rather leave my car, walk five minutes, and take a 15 minute train ride that drops me off right out front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 03:31 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,521,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcs15 View Post
I have a car also... Doesn't mean it isn't nice to be a few minute walk from public transportation to get places. Especially Temple. I was a student there and its either 1) spend half an hour finding a spot in the projects and then walking from however far you had to park or 2) "buy" a space for the semester at $375 a pop. That quickly adds up if you have to get a spot every semester. So yes, I'd rather leave my car, walk five minutes, and take a 15 minute train ride that drops me off right out front.
Noted.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:25 PM

54 posts, read 122,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
That area of NE Philly has changed for the worse.
Yeah in some pockets it has changed, and I imagine you mean racially in case people are wondering, and also in that there have been some crime incidents that never ever would have happened there even five years ago (but still, we're talking what, two things happened?). But vastly, Mayfair, Holmesburg - good areas overall. If one can honestly walk along Rowland Avenue by Lincoln High and tell me it isn't still a good area...well, okay. But you're nuts. (Not you, Bowa, I mean the hypothetical person).

Of course RIP Oxford Circle...you were so great so recently. RIP Juniata...it's like a UFO landed and took everyone away in five minutes. Of course these areas are farther south than the post discussed.

As for Bridge and Pratt in another post...talk about another area where one could say, "But I was just here and it wasn't bad!" since it really wasn't so shady that long ago. Poor Frankford...so misunderstood and so...I dunno. Something good on a large scale has to happen to Frankford before I die, I hope.

Come on, folks...Northwood homes selling for peanuts? Something is wrong here. They're giving that place away.

But I still agree with the original poster to whom you responded, the NE does not deserve the wholesale disregard of people as a place to consider living.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:00 PM

2 posts, read 1,422 times
Rich, are you set on living in the city? The reason I ask is that my house is currently for sale, in a nice neighborhood, and within walking distance to the train that could take you to work. The house is in move-in condition, in Ridley Township (25 mins outside the city). $159,000. 3 Bedroom, 1 bath. Let me know, thanks.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:37 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,521,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukla65th View Post
Yeah in some pockets it has changed, and I imagine you mean racially in case people are wondering, and also in that there have been some crime incidents that never ever would have happened there even five years ago (but still, we're talking what, two things happened?). But vastly, Mayfair, Holmesburg - good areas overall. If one can honestly walk along Rowland Avenue by Lincoln High and tell me it isn't still a good area...well, okay. But you're nuts. (Not you, Bowa, I mean the hypothetical person).

Of course RIP Oxford Circle...you were so great so recently. RIP Juniata...it's like a UFO landed and took everyone away in five minutes. Of course these areas are farther south than the post discussed.

As for Bridge and Pratt in another post...talk about another area where one could say, "But I was just here and it wasn't bad!" since it really wasn't so shady that long ago. Poor Frankford...so misunderstood and so...I dunno. Something good on a large scale has to happen to Frankford before I die, I hope.

Come on, folks...Northwood homes selling for peanuts? Something is wrong here. They're giving that place away.

But I still agree with the original poster to whom you responded, the NE does not deserve the wholesale disregard of people as a place to consider living.
No, I'm nuts, Kukla! lol
Anyway, Holmesburg and Mayfair have some pretty crappy streets and sections, but overall they're not too bad. I wouldn't move east of Frankford Ave or anywhere near Torresdale Ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia