U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 06:48 PM

3 posts, read 3,765 times

Advertisements

I'm 26 years old. I just graduated from my masters program. I'm moving in June I'm from the Chicago area, specifically in Bridgeport. I'm moving for my job at Temple Hospital. I'll be working at Temple University Hospital which seems to be on the North side. I want to buy and my top is $225,000. I want a house that is a walk up. I have seen neighborhoods like Kensington, Frankford, Port Richmond, and Bridesburg that seem to have a nice housing stock. I'm single and don't have children. If I did they would go to private schools. I don't have pets and don't need a large yard. I will keep a car and I want a neighborhood that is a real community of working class people. I really like the rowhouse architecture. I think that it seems like such an efficient way to live. Oh, and Coke.
Thanks,
Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 06:58 PM

11,942 posts, read 10,818,746 times
Temple Hospital is in North Philly near Broad and Erie but close to some great neighborhoods with very nice rowhomes in Northwest Philly within your budget (East Falls, Manayunk, Roxborough, Mount Airy, Germantown). If you want more nightlife/action South Philly (Passyunk Square/Newbold) near the Broad st Line would work or possibly Fishtown/Northern Liberties (although this might be stretching it).

Frankford and Bridesburg would not be the easiest neighborhoods for a transplant to move to IMHO.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:17 PM

1,283 posts, read 1,881,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Temple Hospital is in North Philly near Broad and Erie but close to some great neighborhoods with very nice rowhomes in Northwest Philly within your budget (East Falls, Manayunk, Roxborough, Mount Airy, Germantown). If you want more nightlife/action South Philly (Passyunk Square/Newbold) near the Broad st Line would work or possibly Fishtown/Northern Liberties (although this might be stretching it).

Frankford and Bridesburg would not be the easiest neighborhoods for a transplant to move to IMHO.
Manayunk and Northern Liberties aren't really working class communities, even if they are transplant friendly. However popular they are, living there could also make others fairly miserable.

Places like Frankford and Kensington can be pretty spotty, and you should really know what you're getting yourself into before hand. Their are some nice sections of both (Kensington really has a couple of interesting parts to it, IMO) but there are other parts that can get pretty dark. I wouldn't necessarily call either of them model working class communities anymore, although that's largely what their history is. You might find what you're looking for, but you'd want to make some pretty serious exploratory visits first, and not buy right off the bat.

Parts of South Philly may be what you're looking for (and the broad street subway can take you right to temple hospital if interested).

And I'd also second Germantown as being a pretty good option, and also not too far from Temple Hospital (15 minutes or less by bus, including a 24 hour route - quicker by driving, obviously). I've been here two years now, and people are extremely friendly and welcoming, and there's a not overwhelming number of tranplants and younger folks here. Mt. Airy is just to the north of Germantown and is more diverse and more middle class oriented.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:16 PM

1,567 posts, read 2,663,137 times
Isn't Manayunk more working class still as you go up the hill from Main Street?

Old 04-07-2014, 06:01 AM

10,026 posts, read 14,474,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
you may be thinking of the older parts of roxborough up the hill. thats a nice place and a mix of middle and working class. it also fits the posters budget. might also want to consider fox chase

Old 04-07-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
Yeah, Manayunk can be pretty working class especially close to Roxborough but the neighborhood has really gentrified pretty quickly since I was growing up in Mount Airy and the trend for kids from the the Yunk was to get 'MYK' tattoos and fight anyone from Roxborough or East Falls. My good friend actually grew up very working class in Manayunk and I used to work at Hillside and Venice Island playground pools, so I do know a different side to MYK than Main Street.

Even on Cresson street, one block off Main street there are many old timers (at least there were, I can't imagine the Cresson Inn has changed haha).

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 04-07-2014 at 06:54 AM..

Old 04-07-2014, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
Manayunk and Northern Liberties aren't really working class communities, even if they are transplant friendly. However popular they are, living there could also make others fairly miserable.

Places like Frankford and Kensington can be pretty spotty, and you should really know what you're getting yourself into before hand. Their are some nice sections of both (Kensington really has a couple of interesting parts to it, IMO) but there are other parts that can get pretty dark. I wouldn't necessarily call either of them model working class communities anymore, although that's largely what their history is. You might find what you're looking for, but you'd want to make some pretty serious exploratory visits first, and not buy right off the bat.

Parts of South Philly may be what you're looking for (and the broad street subway can take you right to temple hospital if interested).

And I'd also second Germantown as being a pretty good option, and also not too far from Temple Hospital (15 minutes or less by bus, including a 24 hour route - quicker by driving, obviously). I've been here two years now, and people are extremely friendly and welcoming, and there's a not overwhelming number of tranplants and younger folks here. Mt. Airy is just to the north of Germantown and is more diverse and more middle class oriented.
Yeah, agreed on Kensington-pretty interesting place. And I didn't mention Port Richmond before, but I'm actually very fond of the neighborhood-just not sure how easy it would be for a newcomer to live there.

Of course Germantown is my home and I love it so I'll first it and now third it haha.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:18 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,281,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post

Please don't mention Bridesburg and Frankford in the same sentence, they're two completely different worlds. He could get a beautiful home in Bridesburg, be welcomed into the community (we have transplants who've done quite well, a scant few others have made their own problems), be safe and be close to everything (not walking close, but by car). Actually, most all of my neighbors are transplants and there hasn't been any major problems - be nice and friendly to people, and most will be nice and friendly back.
Germantown and Mount Airy wouldn't be right for the op IMHO.

Last edited by Larry Bowa; 04-07-2014 at 04:55 PM..

Old 04-07-2014, 04:52 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,281,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post

Frankford and Kensington can be "pretty spotty?" Ugh ... no. Except for the SE corner of Kensington that borders Fishtown, it's mostly a hellhole. And Frankford, although there's some good housing stock, is even more dangerous ... there are no "nice sections" of Frankford. I wouldn't recommend it to an enemy.
I am happy to see improvements being made in the Kensington section that borders Fishtown, though.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:35 PM

1,283 posts, read 1,881,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
Frankford and Kensington can be "pretty spotty?" Ugh ... no. Except for the SE corner of Kensington that borders Fishtown, it's mostly a hellhole. And Frankford, although there's some good housing stock, is even more dangerous ... there are no "nice sections" of Frankford. I wouldn't recommend it to an enemy.
I am happy to see improvements being made in the Kensington section that borders Fishtown, though.

Like I said, I wouldn't recommend the OP buy something there without figuring out the neighborhoods for themselves first - or perhaps figuring out the reality of impoverished Philadelphia first. He's the one that asked about them. I know people who are relatively satisfied with the nicer part of Frankford (which goes by the name Northwood). Kensington is a big topic of controvery - there's a big thread about it here if the OP wants to search for it. I've walked through it enough to know that it's more than just a hellhole - although that's certainly one adjective to describe it - the most unappealing thing about it to me has always been the auto-centric commerce on Aramingo Avenue, which sucks any possibility of having the advantage of a vibrant low-income centric walkable shopping district to go along with the density (and, frankly, diversity) of low-income people in the neighborhood, with the crime and drugs being a runner-up. But that's just me, who always has an eye on the built environment.

There are other options that probably offer a better option for living among working class people as opposed to pretty serious poverty - and that's places like Olney, Juniata Park, and parts of the near northeast.

Being that the author offered very little information, there's no reason to rule out places like Roxborough, Germantown, and Mt. Airy.

But buying right off the bat isn't a great option - I'd still say rent for a year and figure out the city for yourself if you're interested in these kinds of neighborhoods as opposed to the normal transplant neighborhoods. Depending what your experience of urban living is, you might not like them, and even if you do, would be happy you didn't go in without knowing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or