U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2007, 07:17 PM

16 posts, read 49,651 times

Advertisements

I have gone about 15 pages deep and can't find exactly what I am looking for. We are thinking of moving from New Hampshire to Philly and have the following guidelines:

good schools (we have a 5&7 year old)
newer home (<5yrs) with about an acre
parks and sports for the kids
price range 450-550k for a 4 bedroom
good comute to Philly (less than 30 minutes during peak times)
low crime, low taxes

Any thoughts on areas to check out?

thanks,
frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 08:05 PM

992 posts, read 3,288,450 times
May be tough to swing an acre of land and still be within 30 minutes of Philly.

Somewhere like Washington Township NJ may fit the bill.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:34 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,774,932 times
Yes , you definitely wont find new housing with an acre of land in the Pa. suburbs within 1/2 to center city. With that criteria you are looking at a 1 hour + commute from the Pa burbs.

Collegeville,,Royersford,Pottstown,Downingtown,Oxf ord.

As billB said South Jersey might be your best bet.

Mulica HIll, Swedesboro,Beckett are developing pretty quickly and might be worth a look. Pros-Less than an hour to the beaches, lots of elbow room.Cons pretty flat landscape, high taxes, and not quite as scenic as Pennsylvania.

Good luck.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:07 PM

22 posts, read 73,556 times
I have lived in the suburbs of philly my whole live. Netown Square, Broomall, have great public schools, parks, soccer tennis, great elementary school. The mainline has great schools, Radnor township, Villanova but need over half million for the mainline. Other areas my sister lives in West Chester, 30 minutes from the Philly airport, 2hours from the Jersey shore, or New York. She has a 4,6,8 year old children. Soccer, scouts great library. Safe Safe Her area is West Goshen or East Goshen in West Chester
There is also Aston, Glen Mills, Media, all great and 20 to 30 min from Philly. Oxford and southern chestern county too far. not great schools and or store, restaurants.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:12 PM

22 posts, read 73,556 times
Frank, there you can meet all of your requirments. Stay at of NJ. Glen Mills, Thornbury Township, in delaware county have land, great houses specially in that price range.
very safe, great schools churches, sports for little ones. WEst Chester, Broomall, Newtown square, Media, Aston, Middletown, these towns are all back to back and are
less than thirty min. to philly airport. log onto realtor.com and enter these towns

Old 12-07-2007, 10:12 PM

27 posts, read 30,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankandsteph View Post
I have gone about 15 pages deep and can't find exactly what I am looking for. We are thinking of moving from New Hampshire to Philly and have the following guidelines:

good schools (we have a 5&7 year old)
newer home (<5yrs) with about an acre
parks and sports for the kids
price range 450-550k for a 4 bedroom
good comute to Philly (less than 30 minutes during peak times)
low crime, low taxes

Any thoughts on areas to check out?

thanks,
frank
Don't want to confuse you more with pages, but this is where you should be... PhillyBlog - Philadelphia - Powered by vBulletin (http://www.phillyblog.com/philly/ - broken link)

Old 12-08-2007, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilbillrain View Post
Don't want to confuse you more with pages, but this is where you should be... PhillyBlog - Philadelphia - Powered by vBulletin (http://www.phillyblog.com/philly/ - broken link)
Ive browsed phillyblog and its a great site but its emphasis is geared much more towards the city than the suburbs no one cany deny that. There are many very knowledgeable posters here that know the suburbs inside and out.

On a sidenote If anyone finds a new house for less than $450k with an acre of property in Glen Mills,Thornbury,West Chester let me know about it please. Thats not realistic. You may be able to find a house in Glen Mills for $450K but it will be 30-40 years old. Newer housing*with an acre of land* in that area starts at $700k.

Any new housing on the Mainline starts at $1 million and you are looking at 1/4 acre if that.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:16 AM

992 posts, read 3,288,450 times
Here's brand new, but only 1/3 acre

Single Family Home - Cinnaminson, NJ, 08077 - Realtor.com

You're not going to find low taxes and all your other criteria anywhere!

Old 12-08-2007, 08:28 AM

Heres Glen Mills from $550 K on down. You can get a nice house here but it wont be new, it will have some age on it.

For Franks criteria*NEW Housing, $450-$550K,1 acre of property you will be 1 + hour away from the city. Downingtown,Kennett Square,Oxford,Pottstown,Quakertown areas. All that, within 30 minutes of center city doesnt exist. Frankandsteph will have to be flexible either in expanding location or looking into older houses, some of which are spectacular..

Weichert.com : Buying : PA : Delaware County : Real Estate Search Results

Old 12-10-2007, 09:36 AM

5 posts, read 17,235 times
You didn't say where you'll be working in Philly. That makes a difference in which suburb you want to investigate. I'm with the others, the criteria doesn't fit anything I know. I recommend setting your priorities (school, neighborhood, property size, etc) and then give it another look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia