U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-11-2014, 12:56 PM
 
8 posts, read 7,097 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

I am going to have an internship near Pennbrook/Lansdale stations, and would really like to experience the best of Philly for my 3 months being there. I am more of a city person in my late 20s.

I saw on Google Maps that the Lansdale/Doylestown line goes straight to Philly center just under an hour. I am wondering if it is do-able to commute to/from work daily if I find a place to live along the brown line, such as Market East ? Are there any younger vibrant areas you would recommend that are relatively easy for me to commute to/from work?

Thank you in advance for you input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-11-2014, 04:57 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
2,377 posts, read 2,695,004 times
Reputation: 1492
Couldn't have offered a better suggestion

Above market east is china town and below is kind of a cheaper rittenhouse. Above the suburban station is logan square which is a little quiet and below is rittenhouse which is the most active area in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2014, 08:14 PM
 
8 posts, read 7,097 times
Reputation: 13
Thanks MikeNigh! I haven't been to Philly at all, so I am not sure whether the train system is reliable. I am wondering if the train ride from Market East to Penbrook is "easy"? If you were me, would you have chosen to live close to Pennbrook, or live in the city center and commute to work daily? Any other are along the brown line (Doylestown/Lansdale) you would recommend me to look into?

Many thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2014, 09:16 PM
 
Location: North by Northwest
7,473 posts, read 10,234,141 times
Reputation: 4755
Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanxia View Post
Thanks MikeNigh! I haven't been to Philly at all, so I am not sure whether the train system is reliable. I am wondering if the train ride from Market East to Penbrook is "easy"? If you were me, would you have chosen to live close to Pennbrook, or live in the city center and commute to work daily? Any other are along the brown line (Doylestown/Lansdale) you would recommend me to look into?

Many thanks!!
Mike would probably live in Center City and commute to China. I'm exaggerating slightly. But only slightly.

In all seriousness, the good news is that Septa is fairly reliable. The bad news is that your commute will be long, though a long train ride is certainly much more pleasant than a long drive.

For most trains, suburban station to Pennbrook will be just over 50 minutes (unfortunately, since you would be doing a reverse commute, the express trains all go in the opposite direction). Market East shaves off five minutes. The question is: How far will your work be from the train station? If you live, say, five minutes from Suburban and your job is five minutes from Pennbrook, that's a little over an hour door-to-door. If I were working regular 9-5 hours, I would stomach it. If you expect to be working late and/or you can't land a sublet near either of the Center City stations (and/or work requires an additional bus ride) I'd be far more hesitant.

That's a decision you'll have to make for yourself, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2014, 01:12 PM
 
8 posts, read 7,097 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Mike would probably live in Center City and commute to China. I'm exaggerating slightly. But only slightly.

In all seriousness, the good news is that Septa is fairly reliable. The bad news is that your commute will be long, though a long train ride is certainly much more pleasant than a long drive.

For most trains, suburban station to Pennbrook will be just over 50 minutes (unfortunately, since you would be doing a reverse commute, the express trains all go in the opposite direction). Market East shaves off five minutes. The question is: How far will your work be from the train station? If you live, say, five minutes from Suburban and your job is five minutes from Pennbrook, that's a little over an hour door-to-door. If I were working regular 9-5 hours, I would stomach it. If you expect to be working late and/or you can't land a sublet near either of the Center City stations (and/or work requires an additional bus ride) I'd be far more hesitant.

That's a decision you'll have to make for yourself, however.
Thanks HeavenWood! China would be do-able for me as a weekly commute, but probably not daily.

Your information is very helpful. As much as Google Maps gives me an estimate, it's hard for me to see from there the "overhead" or "accidental" time for the commute. Also I expect to maybe work/read a little on the train instead of driving. My work place is about 5 minutes shuttle ride from Pennbrook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2014, 02:15 PM
 
Location: North by Northwest
7,473 posts, read 10,234,141 times
Reputation: 4755
Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanxia View Post
Thanks HeavenWood! China would be do-able for me as a weekly commute, but probably not daily.

Your information is very helpful. As much as Google Maps gives me an estimate, it's hard for me to see from there the "overhead" or "accidental" time for the commute. Also I expect to maybe work/read a little on the train instead of driving. My work place is about 5 minutes shuttle ride from Pennbrook.
If work provides a shuttle, and you can get a place a short walk from Suburban, go for it. Sounds like it's within your commute tolerance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 05:45 AM
 
Location: NW Philly Burbs
2,431 posts, read 4,777,622 times
Reputation: 3345
It sounds like a good plan. I know the place with the shuttle, and many people make this commute -- you'll have lots of company. Good luck with the internship!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Montco PA
2,065 posts, read 4,290,092 times
Reputation: 1478
I'd do it, too. It's only a three-month internship, right? The commute will be a little long but not awful. It will probably be relaxing, actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2014, 12:04 PM
 
8 posts, read 7,097 times
Reputation: 13
Thank you all so much for the useful insider information! I've decided to find a weekend to go down to find a sublease around Suburban and Market East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top