U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 02:31 PM

6 posts, read 5,511 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone! Giving us a lot of areas to research! Hoping to make a trip out there to figure things out sometime in May. The school district I have kinda honed in on is Perkiomen Valley. Does anyone have experience/information (good or bad) with this district?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 09:46 AM

Also, what does anyone know about the Gilbertsville area? Looks like you can get some newer houses out that way. Eventually (by 2017) his work will be moving from KOP to Collegeville, would this be an okay area/commute?

Old 04-29-2014, 06:36 PM

283 posts, read 366,892 times
Perkiomen Valley is a very good school district. Though unranked (due to some sort of technicality or something, idk), according to USNews, Perkiomen Valley, based on its "college-readiness index" as calculated, would rank 16th best in PA if it were ranked. That's pretty good. Basically... A top student can achieve all they could want there, a lazy student can still do poorly. It's a large district, so there is competition surely, and the sports teams are good (much to the chagrin of my nearby, much smaller school who plays Perk Valley). As for living, I think Collegeville would be ideal; there is a lot of new construction, it is the Perk. Valley School District, and your husbands work will be moving there. It is very close to KOP too, 15 minutes or less. You would have to get on 422 to cross over the Schuylkill, albeit you could promptly get off if traffic is bad. Gilbersville wouldn't be a terrible commute, probably approaching 40 minutes though. It's also not in Perk Valley School District, but rather Boyertown which is good too, but not as good.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:57 PM

283 posts, read 366,892 times
Have you considered Phoenixville at all (including, East Pikeland and Schuylkill Townships, part pf the Phoenixville School District)? It allows you to get to KOP without 422 and it has a a lot of family friendly neighborhoods and a great school district too. I'd say it's very similar to Perk Valley in that a top student can achieve all sorts of things, taking lots of A.P. classes, go to summer programs at top colleges, be a member of, or even start, many diverse clubs, and eventually get accepted to a top university. That's my experience with PAHS. Statistical averages would indicate that Phoenixville isn't as good as Perk Valley (albeit it still performs strongly, I believe it's due to a greater percentage of disadvantaged students), but as with Perk Valley, a good kid will do great, and a lazy kid won't. Sorry, I felt compelled to speak for my own school, as not only do I think it's awesome, but that it could actually work for you too. The Phoenixville area has a fair deal of new construction (less than other areas, partly because it was more fully developed earlier) and it works well in your price range, providing easy access to both KOP and Collegeville. I think Schuylkill township would be perfect.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan95 View Post
Have you considered Phoenixville at all (including, East Pikeland and Schuylkill Townships, part pf the Phoenixville School District)? It allows you to get to KOP without 422 and it has a a lot of family friendly neighborhoods and a great school district too. I'd say it's very similar to Perk Valley in that a top student can achieve all sorts of things, taking lots of A.P. classes, go to summer programs at top colleges, be a member of, or even start, many diverse clubs, and eventually get accepted to a top university. That's my experience with PAHS. Statistical averages would indicate that Phoenixville isn't as good as Perk Valley (albeit it still performs strongly, I believe it's due to a greater percentage of disadvantaged students), but as with Perk Valley, a good kid will do great, and a lazy kid won't. Sorry, I felt compelled to speak for my own school, as not only do I think it's awesome, but that it could actually work for you too. The Phoenixville area has a fair deal of new construction (less than other areas, partly because it was more fully developed earlier) and it works well in your price range, providing easy access to both KOP and Collegeville. I think Schuylkill township would be perfect.

THANK YOU so much for your detailed response. It's so hard to do all this research via internet w/o really knowing where we are looking. We actually have looked at a lot of rentals in Phoenixville so it is good to hear your feedback about the schools there!!

Old 05-17-2014, 09:01 AM

So we are heading out in a couple of weeks to look for housing and I think we have narrowed it down to the Collegeville/Phoenixville areas as that seems to be the type of rentals we are looking for (3bed/2bath townhouse with a basement). We have seen a few rentals in Pottstown? Any thoughts on that area? Also, off the wall question, what phone service is best out this way? We currently have Sprint but need new phones

Old 05-17-2014, 06:40 PM

10,344 posts, read 10,824,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoench View Post
Don't really want to commute more than 30 mins each way.
It may be outside of your requested 30 minutes, but probably more house for your money (upper bucks county).

Quakertown, PA 18951
4 beds, 4 baths, 3,689 sqft
For Sale: $350,000

Old 12-17-2016, 10:39 AM

47 posts, read 44,327 times
How did you find either Collegeville or Phoenixville? where have you ended up staying at?

Old 12-17-2016, 11:33 AM

We rented in Collegeville for 2 years and were in the Spring-Ford school district. Just this summer we bought a house in Pottstown but lucked out b/c where we are is still in the Spring-Ford district. We were very happy with Collegeville, we were close to the highway which made it easy for my husband to get to work in KOP and there were plenty of shopping options within 10 minutes each way!

Old 12-17-2016, 08:40 PM

47 posts, read 44,327 times
Perfect! and did you hear about Madison Providence? We are planning to visit the area. Can you tell me more about Collegeville and why you preferred it over the other neighborhoods, is it family friendly, diverse, etc...?

Thank you very much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or