U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 04:36 PM

180 posts, read 506,937 times

Advertisements

1) The crime is mostly relegated to certain areas of the city that are admittedly really bad. I live in CC (near Fitler Square) and haven't experienced any criminal activity. Just don't be an idiot and wander the streets drunk alone past midnight, and I'm sure you'll be fine!

2) I agree with pman about Colombe. They make some really fantastic coffee, and it's not expensive.

3) I lived in Austin (did not like it there!) and can say that Philly is way less car-minded than anywhere in Texas!

You didn't really specifically point it out in your questions, but you'll really love the fact that you can easily visit so many places up here. In my opinion, a major negative about being in Texas is that it's always a big deal to go travel somewhere. There's not really much in the way of day trips around Dallas ... I moved here last October and have been to DC, NYC, and Baltimore for day trips. You can pay $15 - 20, hop on a bus, and be in another world class city in under 2 hours ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 07:49 PM

20 posts, read 34,304 times
Thanks again for the help everyone. Another thing that I really enjoyed about Philly was the graffiti and the murals. I felt that it gave the city a unique character. Is this something that people there also like or is this seen as an eye sore that needs to be cleaned up? I personally found Philadelphia to be a genuine city that is not ashamed of its edge. A lot of cities try to keep all the grit isolated and hidden from tourists but Philly was not like that at all and I loved it.

I also found the people there to be friendly. They seem to be really nice as long as you are nice to them which was way different from what I had been hearing before going up there. Everyone says people in Philly are rude and I just didn't see that. All in all I would consider Philadelphia one of America's hidden gems. Does anyone agree with that or was I completely deceived?

Old 04-16-2014, 08:37 PM

2,377 posts, read 2,695,391 times
Philly is one of the few places in america that really has it's own culture. It's possibly it's greatest asset.

Last edited by MikeNigh; 04-16-2014 at 09:02 PM..

Old 04-16-2014, 09:01 PM

7,085 posts, read 8,214,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxm123130 View Post
Thanks again for the help everyone. Another thing that I really enjoyed about Philly was the graffiti and the murals. I felt that it gave the city a unique character. Is this something that people there also like or is this seen as an eye sore that needs to be cleaned up? I personally found Philadelphia to be a genuine city that is not ashamed of its edge. A lot of cities try to keep all the grit isolated and hidden from tourists but Philly was not like that at all and I loved it.

I also found the people there to be friendly. They seem to be really nice as long as you are nice to them which was way different from what I had been hearing before going up there. Everyone says people in Philly are rude and I just didn't see that. All in all I would consider Philadelphia one of America's hidden gems. Does anyone agree with that or was I completely deceived?
Her's the scoop on Philly's murals: Mural Arts Program | Mural Arts Program

I agree with you on the friendliness of Philadelphians. Before moving here 3+ years back, I too had expected locals to be rude and abrupt, like the stereotype. The reality has been much different. Day-to-day interactions with store clerks, wait staff, bank tellers, etc are generally quite friendly. And more importantly, since moving here without knowing a soul, we have developed a very nice circle of friends in a pretty short period of time.

Best of luck in deciding where to move.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:20 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,281,018 times
Quote:

Graffiti is an eyesore, and left to linger is a sign that an area is going "ghetto," there's nothing glamorous about it. We always have it removed in my neighborhood asap, it will not be tolerated.
I wish Chinatown would get on board with the rest of Center City regarding the graffiti ...

Old 04-17-2014, 12:52 AM

10,026 posts, read 14,474,108 times
Quote:

our sports fans get really drunk and act like jagoffs. most everyone else is fine. most people probably dont give much thought to the murals

Old 04-17-2014, 05:46 AM

11,942 posts, read 10,818,746 times
Quote:

Yes, I love the murals and I love "good graffiti" but not the illegible scribble.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:17 AM

3,876 posts, read 3,780,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
our sports fans get really drunk and act like jagoffs. most everyone else is fine. most people probably dont give much thought to the murals
That's most sports fans; one of the biggest complaints about Pittsburgh are the annoying Steeler fans, but hey at least we have something to be cocky about

Old 04-17-2014, 09:06 AM

175 posts, read 241,725 times
CXM, I too am planning a move and Philadelphia is the top of my list. I have visited 4 times now and did not find people at all unfriendly, of course Im coming from Los Angeles which has some of the worlds rudest people. I agree with all you've said, philly does have an edge but I like it. so many other cities Ive visited seem sanitized. If you pick Philadelphia I dont think you will regret it. Good luck!

Old 04-17-2014, 10:37 AM

10,026 posts, read 14,474,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
That's most sports fans; one of the biggest complaints about Pittsburgh are the annoying Steeler fans, but hey at least we have something to be cocky about
by that logic, then the jagoffs in phlly have something to be angry about (their team). that reminds of of the Pirates quote. "who is the pirates biggest rival?" answer: management. of course, that fits the phillies organization pretty well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or