U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 10:42 AM

8,702 posts, read 12,373,638 times

Advertisements

Everyone move to Philly! Don't let that sorry excuse for a city Phoenix overtake us in population! hahaha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 01:04 PM

3,876 posts, read 3,780,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Everyone move to Philly! Don't let that sorry excuse for a city Phoenix overtake us in population! hahaha!
I will be sick if a suburb like that overtakes Philly.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:31 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,281,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
What's it really matter?

Old 04-19-2014, 08:24 AM

38 posts, read 32,584 times
I grew up about 20 mins from Philly and lived there until college, and have since lived in Boston, New York, and Chicago. With the modern economy creating greater inequality, most people are getting priced out of places like NYC and Chicago. That's causing places like Philly to become much more attractive. You can live in Philly much more comfortably than in the other major cities. This is probably a great time to move to Philly because it will ride that wave of increased attractiveness. At least it would be a great time to buy a property in Philly.

Like others have mentioned, you can travel to NYC, DC, Boston fairly easily for Philly. There is a lot of outdoor activities to do, though the Mid-Atlantic can't compare to New England for skiing/snowboarding. I think the beer scene in Philly is pretty solid/improving. Sports is an intense passion for most people in Philly. We all have some edge that shows itself in rooting for our teams. People will get drunk and obnoxious, but they definitely do that in NYC and Boston.

Now that I've spent my Philly love, I have also been to Portland, ME. It is incredible there. My wife and I love it. There's a bakery there that has the best bagels I've ever had (this is a big thing for us). But it is in no way comparable to Philly or Pittsburgh. As someone who wants to be around a major east coast-style city, I consider Portland as a dream location for a vacation home.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:43 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,723,325 times
I dont know what kind of work would sustain you in Portland ME, but it surely is a pretty city. A small, pretty city. From a quality-of-life perspective, I think it would be a nice place to live if you are not bothered by its sort of remote location.
IVe lived in both Philly and Pittsburgh, and would take Pittsburgh over Philly in every way. Pittsburgh has a very different vibe than Philly. I am biased though, I really dislike Philly

Old 04-19-2014, 08:39 PM

10,026 posts, read 14,474,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I dont know what kind of work would sustain you in Portland ME, but it surely is a pretty city. A small, pretty city. From a quality-of-life perspective, I think it would be a nice place to live if you are not bothered by its sort of remote location.
IVe lived in both Philly and Pittsburgh, and would take Pittsburgh over Philly in every way. Pittsburgh has a very different vibe than Philly. I am biased though, I really dislike Philly
portland is probably less remote than pittsburgh. its just a couple hours from boston. pittsburghs closest big neighbor is cleveland which sucks. pittsburgh is a nice balance of the two. colder, quieter , and less goin on than philly but warmer, larger , and more active than portland

Old 04-19-2014, 09:28 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,723,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
portland is probably less remote than pittsburgh. its just a couple hours from boston. pittsburghs closest big neighbor is cleveland which sucks. pittsburgh is a nice balance of the two. colder, quieter , and less goin on than philly but warmer, larger , and more active than portland
Being close to Wierton WV or Stuebanville OH doesnt count for p'burgh ?!?!? lol
I guess when I think about it, you are correct, Pittsburgh is sort of isolated
After living in the midwest a while, when I go back to Philly, it feels like the world is imploding. So many people, cars and chaos. Too fast paced and crowed for me, real dirty too. I dont know how I did it for all those years.
When you get off the plane and see all the dirt and trash at the airport, its sort of a portent of what you are in for.
I agree with all of the above.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:35 PM

10,026 posts, read 14,474,108 times
Quote:
After living in the midwest a while, when I go back to Philly, it feels like the world is imploding. So many people, cars and chaos. Too fast paced and crowed for me, real dirty too. I dont know how I did it for all those years.
When you get off the plane and see all the dirt and trash at the airport, its sort of a portent of what you are in for.
when I go to the midwest and see all the run down towns and lack of vibrancy I wonder how I lived there, the people were nice, but everyone just wants to leave. the trash in philly does suck, but the vibrancy is anything but chaos.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:54 AM

8,702 posts, read 12,373,638 times
Quote:
A lot of Pittsburgh is dirtier and more run down than Philly... And Pittsburgh doesn't have the vibrancy of Philly to match. Pittsburgh feels like a half empty city. And while Philly did lose population and is growin again, it still feels like it's bursting at the seams with people

Old 04-20-2014, 09:30 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,281,018 times
Quote:
BUT, not all of Philly is trashy ....

Pittsburgh has a beautiful baseball park, but other than that, I wasn't impressed and couldn't wait to get back home. It just dosen't have the vibrancy I enjoy.

Regarding personality: I'll take the average Philadelphian over the average New Englander any day of the week, I would not want to live amongst them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or