Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 05:35 AM

16 posts, read 17,136 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will be relocating to Philly sometime later in this year. My office is located in Market street, and I wanted to get some idea about neighbourhoods to live nearby.

We are a young asian indian couple, and our priority would be safety and ease of transportation. It would also help to have an indian neighbourhood/market nearby.

Could anyone suggest what neighbourhood should I be looking in, and the expected rentals.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 12:49 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgphilly View Post
Hi,

I will be relocating to Philly sometime later in this year. My office is located in Market street, and I wanted to get some idea about neighbourhoods to live nearby.

We are a young asian indian couple, and our priority would be safety and ease of transportation. It would also help to have an indian neighbourhood/market nearby.

Could anyone suggest what neighbourhood should I be looking in, and the expected rentals.

Thanks
Hello and welcome to the forum!

I would highly recommend that you copy and paste the questions in this thread along with your answers so that we can better focus our suggestions for you. While we want to respect your privacy, it would be helpful if you could tell us which block on Market Street you will be working. As there are three train hubs on or near Market Street, it can make a big difference.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:01 PM

Hi

Thanks for you post. It seems that the thread you have given me the link for is closed. My office is located near the 21st station - Commerce Square.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Hi

Thanks for you post. It seems that the thread you have given me the link for is closed. My office is located near the 21st station - Commerce Square.
The link is indeed closed. You can still copy and paste the questions along with your answers to this thread.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:58 PM

When are you moving? Mid of 2014

Where are you coming from?*India

Why are you moving? Job transfer

Where will you be working? Commerce square

Have you been here yet?*No

Will you buy or rent? Rent

If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? N/A

How much can you spend? Not sure at the moment but arnd $1500 pm.

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? Apartment - 1br or studio

How much can you spend? As above

Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Hi-rise

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? Not sure, I may occassionally need to travel to NYC

Are you married or single? Married

Do you have children? No

Do you prefer public or private schools? N/A

Do you have pets? No

Do you want or need a yard? No

Are you keeping a car? No

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? In between but more activity.

What do you want to be closest to? Market, transport and work
Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, relipreference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Either way but safety is the top priority

Coke or Pepsi?*

Old 03-03-2014, 11:15 AM

512 posts, read 1,018,345 times
It looks like Center City for you. My guess around Logan/Rittenhouse Squares. Very walkable with everything you need less than 10 min away. BTW Market street is a long street stretching through many neighborhoods, some really bad.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
It looks like Center City for you. My guess around Logan/Rittenhouse Squares. Very walkable with everything you need less than 10 min away. BTW Market street is a long street stretching through many neighborhoods, some really bad.
Other than not being particularly close to any Indian neighborhoods and markets per the original post, I agree that Center City would be the most convenient and well within budget.

So as not to concern the Original Poster, it's worth clarifying that there are no particularly "bad" or dangerous stretches of Market Street within Center City and, arguably, anywhere east of at least 40th Street.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:21 PM

Thanks for the info.

My initial search also suggest that city centre would be best for me. What kind of rentals should I expect? And would you be able to suggest some good appartments. Going through this forum, which is quite helpful, I think a few people suggested the Metropolitan.

Also, there is a lot of talk about Philly being dangerous. Do you think philly is more dangerous than NYC? And is it not safe at night?

Old 03-04-2014, 07:20 AM

882 posts, read 1,670,606 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info.

My initial search also suggest that city centre would be best for me. What kind of rentals should I expect? And would you be able to suggest some good appartments. Going through this forum, which is quite helpful, I think a few people suggested the Metropolitan.

Also, there is a lot of talk about Philly being dangerous. Do you think philly is more dangerous than NYC? And is it not safe at night?
Center City is just about as safe as New York. The only real difference I've noticed is it's quieter at night...fewer tourists and revelers out at all hours.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:31 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,199 times
Center City has a very similar feel as Manhattan in terms of safety
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia