Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 07:45 PM

8 posts, read 8,864 times

Advertisements

Thanks guys for the input, I am really more willing to try out Philly rather than going back to Miami. That's the thing, Miami is awesome when you consider downtown,brickell,beach area but those are usually the areas we can't afford. I like the idea that philly has overall culture,history and its more laid back and you dont necessarily have to party to have fun. I would love living in a city where you can take the train and have fun just doing that or driving a couple of hours away to another city.

p.s. Sorry, first time on the forums I should have posted this in the philly forum~

Old 04-21-2014, 02:20 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieVibe View Post
Thanks guys for the input, I am really more willing to try out Philly rather than going back to Miami. That's the thing, Miami is awesome when you consider downtown,brickell,beach area but those are usually the areas we can't afford. I like the idea that philly has overall culture,history and its more laid back and you dont necessarily have to party to have fun. I would love living in a city where you can take the train and have fun just doing that or driving a couple of hours away to another city.

p.s. Sorry, first time on the forums I should have posted this in the philly forum~
It sounds like Philly will be a nice change of scenery for you. I think the relatively down-to-earth social vibe for such a major, East Coast city is really the city's biggest asset.

Good luck to you!

Old 04-21-2014, 05:46 PM

4,513 posts, read 4,040,229 times
Quote:
My job is portable so I can move anywhere at the moment. I am more focused on school/area (I only have around 24 accepted creds from prior community college) I am thinking of going back to study either Education or Psychology (any suggestions on schools) and which area should I move to that's not too far away from school?
The three main colleges in the city are Temple, Drexel, and UPenn. All three are easily accessible by subway so all you would need to do is live at least somewhat near a subway. Both study choices sound awesome to me, I love psychology.

Quote:
I was being very skeptical about Philly and reading all the negative comments. And since I've never experienced very cold weather nor seen snow people keep telling how its too cold,hood,crime..but I live in Pr now and crime here is insane so I ain't even that worried.
Philly normally only snows one to three times a year and it stays on the ground only for a few days. My wife is from a climate much hotter than miami and she hasn't had a problem. For me I noticed after living in the city I don't notice the weather so much.

Quote:
Any suggestions on area for a girl who will be going to school in the afternoon/night,likes art/museums,zoos,libraries lol,culture,transportation near by..
Most of philly is good for that

Quote:
I am a real laid back down to earth woman, not into glamour and more into arts,diversity,learning and culture. Would I fit in lol? Hobbies:Photography,visual arts,film making,creating things hand made,thrift stores,nature. Get my type of vibe?
I think it's going to be hard to find a better match.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:10 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
I'll just comment on the weather. The snow is not a problem for most people, it's the length of the cold weather season. It can be very cold from November through March and moderately cold in October and April. I'm personally fine with cold weather through January but when it's bitter cold, windy and overcast for February and March, it's draining and depressing, and I've been raised in this weather. Now other posters will disagree and say it's not that bad, but weather and what one person thinks is cold is very subjective so I would give some thought about what you think is cold and how weather affects you.

Weather History for Philadelphia, PA | Weather Underground

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:15 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I'll just comment on the weather. The snow is not a problem for most people, it's the length of the cold weather season. It can be very cold from November through March and moderately cold in October and April. I'm personally fine with cold weather through January but when it's bitter cold, windy and overcast for February and March, it's draining and depressing, and I've been raised in this weather. Now other posters will disagree and say it's not that bad, but weather and what one person thinks is cold is very subjective so I would give some thought about what you think is cold and how weather affects you.

Weather History for Philadelphia, PA | Weather Underground
the "winter blues" is an expression for a reason. this year it was cold in october, other years it's relatively warm until christmas. some years it warms up in early march, some years it warms up in april. this winter was painful, others have only a couple really cold weeks.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
the "winter blues" is an expression for a reason. this year it was cold in october, other years it's relatively warm until Christmas. some years it warms up in early march, some years it warms up in april. this winter was painful, others have only a couple really cold weeks.
This is exactly what I mean by subjective. This weekend, for example, when the highs were in the sixties, I was wearing jeans, a long sleeve shirt and a sweater. My husband had on jeans and a t-shirt. At one point he had changed to shorts! For the OP, who is probably not used to temps much lower than 60 degrees, cold in Philadelphia will seem much different than someone who is used to those temps.

I found another quick glance temperature graph: Average Weather for Philadelphia, PA - Temperature and Precipitation

Miami Average Weather for Miami, FL - Temperature and Precipitation

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:16 AM

8 posts, read 8,864 times
Thank you for all the suggestions! I think Philadelphia would be a greater opportunity to start off at compared to Miami/Florida.
I think as long as I dress appropriately the winter may not be a problem. I am usually a stay-at-home type of person. I remember in Miami we would all complain when the weather is at 64 degrees we consider that freezing, so I can only imagine how it is in Philadelphia lol. But, I am open to try. I am being offered an apartment in Bennington st area or something like that,

Last edited by AnnieVibe; 04-22-2014 at 10:34 AM..

Old 04-22-2014, 12:00 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
... For the OP, who is probably not used to temps much lower than 60 degrees, cold in Philadelphia will seem much different than someone who is used to those temps.
Some people just have thin blood but it's not just about where you're from. my wife is from a tropical climate and she wasn't cold when it was nearly 70 degrees and sunny. after a long, cold winter most people adjust, particularly young people like the OP. so after 30 degrees, 60 feels warm. Not sure what you're trying to get at by posting links for average temps for Miami and Philadelphia. Did someone say Philadelphia was tropical?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-22-2014 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: removed the duh, fixed the typos.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Some people just have thin blood but it's not just about where you're from. my wife is from a tropical climate and she wasn't cold when it was nearly 70 degrees and sunny. after a long, cold winter most people adjust, particularly young people like the OP. so after 30 degrees, 60 feels warm. Not sure what you're trying to get at by posting links for average temps for Miami and Philadelphia.
My point was that the winters are going to seem much longer for someone that has never experienced temperatures as cold as ours and for months on end. And, in case you missed it, I pointed out that snow is not the problem, the length of winter might be. (Hence the graphs, showing that) Glad your wife has had a good transition. I am all for people, moving to new areas and trying new things, even long winters.

Realtors, See This.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:02 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,520,981 times
At least Miami has these:

Miami or Philly? (So Far Philly is winning)-img_6266.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia