U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 08:15 PM

8 posts, read 7,874 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend was born and raised in Philly. While I was raised in Miami. We both met in PR and now agreed that we would like to go back to the states. He's aiming for Philly because he knows his way around and he stated it's cheaper,more culture etc.. I was trying to back Miami up, but in reality all I have is one sister and friends who are doing their own thing. I was never a crazy fan of Miami, although I do love its art scene. I'm not your typical Miami girl, I'm very laid back down to earth not into glamour high brands clothing just overall chill girl who likes art,culture,learning,friendly.

I am not worried about looking for a job because I work from home online. So I feel selfish to tell him to move to Miami knowing how expensive it is and how you need a car.. I just don't know if its a good starting point.

But, in all reality I am afraid of going to Philly and yet loving the idea. I don't know a single soul there other than some of my boyfriend distant family members, I never seen snow or experienced very cold weather. And I feel reading that the crime is high. But, then again I am from Miami and I currently live in Puerto Rico and the crime here is ridiculous.

We want a city to grow as individuals,with opportunities for both. I want to go back to university get my studies back on track. any recommendations? thanks in advance!

Old 04-19-2014, 08:35 PM

10,026 posts, read 14,472,347 times
crime is slightly lower than miami

Old 04-19-2014, 08:42 PM

That is good to know, living in Miami practically my whole life, I am now 23 moved out at age 21 and I have never been a victim of harsh crime but then again I almost never went out and my parents were strict. I have probably come across a lot of perverted older men and a lot of crazy homeless people but it is good to know the crime is lower than Miami. I know Miami isn't all that safe

Old 04-19-2014, 08:47 PM

I want to be open minded to a new area. Miami is almost like Puerto Rico right now, actually even less appealing physically. I like green, seeing nature and yet the city. I like culture, seasons, art art art,museums!!

Old 04-19-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieVibe View Post
I want to be open minded to a new area. Miami is almost like Puerto Rico right now, actually even less appealing physically. I like green, seeing nature and yet the city. I like culture, seasons, art art art,museums!!
i dont know if you have family in pr but there are at least three flights a day to pr from philly which makes it easy to get back. by air its not much lonher than miami. philly is much easier to walk around than either pr or kiami but doeant have the beaches and warm winters.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
i dont know if you have family in pr but there are at least three flights a day to pr from philly which makes it easy to get back. by air its not much lonher than miami. philly is much easier to walk around than either pr or kiami but doeant have the beaches and warm winters.
Thank you for pointing that out all of my close family members live in Puerto Rico and everyone keeps telling how difficult it is to travel from pr to philly vice versa .. I can take a break from beaches I prefer trees and sceneary .. now warm winters I don't know how ill feel about the cold in philly I've only been to tropical placee but i don't mind the experience

Old 04-20-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Thank you for pointing that out all of my close family members live in Puerto Rico and everyone keeps telling how difficult it is to travel from pr to philly vice versa .. I can take a break from beaches I prefer trees and sceneary .. now warm winters I don't know how ill feel about the cold in philly I've only been to tropical placee but i don't mind the experience
Philly has the third largest Puerto Rican Population after NY and Miami and isn't far from NY which no doubt explains the service frequency. if you do move here, make sure you buy a high quality coat that is lined. I generally recommend buying a coat made for a colder climate than Philly (toronto or new england) since we all feel the cold differently.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:57 AM

8,702 posts, read 12,371,512 times
Miami has a higher crime rate than Philly.

Philly is a more vibrant pedestrian oriented city. Philly is much more down to earth and less glitz and glam. Philly has much better culture than Miami and an art scene that is leaps ahead of Miami in every single aspect.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-22-2014 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: removed comment about thread location

Old 04-20-2014, 10:55 AM

7,473 posts, read 10,234,141 times
I just went to Miami-Dade for spring break, and I was not terribly impressed with what I saw. There are nicer parts for sure, but the County as a whole seems to be going downhill.

On a positive note, Downtown Miami (more specifically, the Brickell Area) seems pretty cool. South Beach basically seemed like South Street on the ocean (in both a good and not-so-good way).

Old 04-20-2014, 05:43 PM

2,377 posts, read 2,695,004 times
Quote:
I like culture, seasons, art art art,museums!!
Philadelphia Museum of Art - Visiting : Plan Your Visit
- "First Sunday of the month and every Wednesday after 5:00 p.m.: pay what you wish"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or