U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 05:36 AM

2,189 posts, read 6,852,431 times

Advertisements

Hailing a cab in Center City is quite easy. I'm not sure about University City or whether there is a flat rate from there to and from the airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 06:56 AM

10,026 posts, read 14,474,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbanidoso View Post
Thank you. I just learned that the train actually does not operate 24 hours. As a flight attendant we get called for a trip any time of the day. I'm kind of worried about that. Other than the train, is there any other mode of transportation? Like the Bus, is it 24 hours?

Also, the $28.50 fee is that a flat rate? like even if you destination is only less than one mile, you pay that amount?

Thank you. I look forward to your response.
I think south philly along west passyunk ave fits the bill. the bus is 24 hours, it's very dense and pretty easy to live without a car. $28.50 is a flat fee to center city. since you are a worker your best bet is to find a cabbie or car service your comfortable with and get a phone number. bar tenders often do this so you're not just calling into dispatch. chances are you will be calling at a time when they're slow (middle of the night) so you won't be competing with bargoers, etc.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:00 AM

1 posts, read 879 times
I think any money you would spend on a car/insurance/parking/tickets would be better directed toward cab/Uber/train fare. (If you get free parking at the airport, that might change the equation)
If you do get a car, you could also live outside the city in towns like Media, Swarthmore, Ridley Park, Wallingford, etc. They are all between 10 and 20 minutes away from PHL. It would be a shame to miss out on city living but without knowing your preferences...
Philadelphia is easily navigated on foot, bike, bus and train.
With your age, preferred living arrangement and amount you want to pay for rent, we could probably give you a better idea of neighborhoods that match your criteria. If you are going to be cab dependent and routinely beholden to the 90-minute window, you might want to live right near the Schuylkill Expressway (I-76) or I-95. Once on those highways, you are about a 15-minute cab ride to the airport from Center City (with no traffic).
Are you a runner, drinker, sports fan, biker, foodie, concert-goer? Philly is a city of neighborhoods and they are all a bit different. Good luck.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:12 AM

10 posts, read 13,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaPA View Post
I think any money you would spend on a car/insurance/parking/tickets would be better directed toward cab/Uber/train fare. (If you get free parking at the airport, that might change the equation)
If you do get a car, you could also live outside the city in towns like Media, Swarthmore, Ridley Park, Wallingford, etc. They are all between 10 and 20 minutes away from PHL. It would be a shame to miss out on city living but without knowing your preferences...
Philadelphia is easily navigated on foot, bike, bus and train.
With your age, preferred living arrangement and amount you want to pay for rent, we could probably give you a better idea of neighborhoods that match your criteria. If you are going to be cab dependent and routinely beholden to the 90-minute window, you might want to live right near the Schuylkill Expressway (I-76) or I-95. Once on those highways, you are about a 15-minute cab ride to the airport from Center City (with no traffic).
Are you a runner, drinker, sports fan, biker, foodie, concert-goer? Philly is a city of neighborhoods and they are all a bit different. Good luck.
Hi. okay well ive always been fascinated with city living. I love busy streets and all that. I am 23 years old yuppie. I like fashion, food, and arts. I just want to live in an area that is safe, friendly, accessible to transportation like cabs. i dont wanna rely solely on trains. but yea, thats me. we do have free parking as an airline employee but for now, im not really into buying myself a car.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:57 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,923,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbanidoso View Post
Hi. okay well ive always been fascinated with city living. I love busy streets and all that. I am 23 years old yuppie. I like fashion, food, and arts. I just want to live in an area that is safe, friendly, accessible to transportation like cabs. i dont wanna rely solely on trains. but yea, thats me. we do have free parking as an airline employee but for now, im not really into buying myself a car.

I would say your better off without a car as its costs at least 5000 for a good car, and all the other headaches associated to it, the bad thing is that if you dont have a car and you pay close to 30 bucks to get to the airport, how about on the way back when you get off your job and its in the wee hours where there is no trains, except for another 30 dollar ride back home? I dont think its worth it to be in a situation where whatever you made after taxes for your shift goes right out the window on traveling.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:03 AM

2,189 posts, read 6,852,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
I would say your better off without a car as its costs at least 5000 for a good car, and all the other headaches associated to it, the bad thing is that if you dont have a car and you pay close to 30 bucks to get to the airport, how about on the way back when you get off your job and its in the wee hours where there is no trains, except for another 30 dollar ride back home? I dont think its worth it to be in a situation where whatever you made after taxes for your shift goes right out the window on traveling.
It won't be the wee hours every time either leaving or returning. Those times, the OP can use the train.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
the bus runs all night to south philly

Old 04-24-2014, 07:29 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,923,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
the bus runs all night to south philly

is it safe?

Old 04-25-2014, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 793 times
I've worked for an airline and being along the septa R1 corridor up to neighborhoods in south philly between broad st and passayunk east to front street are ok, and safer yet, further north toward Market (but more expensive). If you DO get a car, just live in the burbs around springfield/swarthmore and you can't go wrong for safety and its a 20 min drive to the airport, cab may be about the same from there. There is a train from there, but its not direct. Whether in the city or burbs, as a single woman you have to be careful.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
is it safe?
i have not had issues. my experience is that south of passyunk is fine, girard estates is a great neighborhood. closer to broad is also fine. north of passyunk is more rundown and presumably more dangerous. i would live there and use late night transit. the melrose diner is open 24 hours as well. i think its best suited overall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or