U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 09:55 PM

21 posts, read 29,931 times

Advertisements

There's lots of crews and crashpads in Essington, and a bus that runs every half hour or so straight to the airport. That would be a good place to hang out and test the waters. Are you going to be working for mainline or express?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 08:24 AM

15,339 posts, read 10,551,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbanidoso View Post
As a flight attendant, when scheduling calls us, we only have 90 minutes to prepare (pack our bags, get in our uniforms, and etc).
Not sure what "prepare" means. Does this mean you have 90 minutes to actually show up for work? If that's the case, I don't see how that could happen from Philly even if you had personal transportation.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:38 AM

10,026 posts, read 14,474,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Not sure what "prepare" means. Does this mean you have 90 minutes to actually show up for work? If that's the case, I don't see how that could happen from Philly even if you had personal transportation.
20th and shunk (in the girard estates neighborhood) is a ten minute drive from the airport

Old 04-29-2014, 01:40 PM

41 posts, read 28,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbanidoso View Post
is that Septa? and is it 24 hours?

I really wish I can work this out without a car. And also, can you tell me more a lil bit about university center. Ive hear from people that there are shady/sketchy parts of the city. Is the university city a safe and friendly neighborhood?

Thank you.
Hailing a cab in University City is pretty easy, at least on the east side of it. I almost never call one, I just walk until I see one and flag it down. The train to the airport only comes every half hour so with short notice about when you could be called in that could get annoying. In my personal opinion, if you are going to get called in late at night and early in the morning often, I would get a car because $30 cab rides will add up. Technically if you are west of 40th than the flat fare doesn't apply but a lot of cab drivers will do it anyway if you are only a few blocks past the boundary and it's hit or miss if the meter would be cheaper, I've never saved more than a few dollars.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:25 PM

363 posts, read 224,647 times
Default Airport line

My wife is an FA (same airline as you I'm sure), we live in Media and though a train (regional) does run thru Media it doesnt start until 0530 and doesnt get to PHL til near 7a, so unless you have a car I would avoid anything away from the main SEPTA airport line. now the airport line runs past midnight (last outgoing from PHL train is 00:11 I believe) the first trains to PHL start at 0410 (arrives PHL at 0449). I know sometimes scheduling will call early (like 0100) but my wife has never had to report before 6am so any apartments off the airport line would work for you and save you a ton of money on buying a car, using cabs etc-.

Specific train stops with apartments near would be: University City, Market East, Suburban Station & Temple University. The University City area is nice but will be fairly expensive, as you go west from UC the neighborhood gets dicey but some streets would be ok. I do think the walk needed from UC and dragging your bags in the snow would stink big time. Market Street & Suburban are right downtown, cool hip/walkable area but very pricy, maybe splitting a 2 or 3 bdrm would be an option. Temple is the last stop on the line and would be my recommendation. Some areas around Temple are also dicey but again its street by street and with Temple U PD/Philly PD & Septa PD always being around you should be safe.

Philly really is a great city, we love it and I can say the public transit is second to none.

http://www.septa.org/schedules/rail/pdf/air.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or