Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 09:05 PM

10 posts, read 18,789 times

Advertisements

Hi guys. So basically I am moving to Philly in 3 weeks. I will be working as a flight attendant and I want to be as close to the airport or as close to a ground transportation station since I don't have a car.

Do you think it's necessary for me to have a car in Philly? I don't have a car and I really don't know much about the city and how reliable the transportation is.

As a flight attendant, when scheduling calls us, we only have 90 minutes to prepare (pack our bags, get in our uniforms, and etc). So if I live there and I don't have a car, is the ground transportation reliable enough?

Or will I have to wait at the station 20-30 minutes before the next train comes? I don't want this to happen because I don't like being late and the airline industry is very strict.

Also in a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being the lowest, how convenient/and or reliable is the transportation in Philly for someone like me?

I hope you can help me out if you have any suggestions or recommendations.

It would totally mean a lot. I dont know anyone, as in nobody in Philly so I have no one to ask but this site.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 06:54 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,567,751 times
I would live in Center City. You definitely won't need a car. You can either take a cab to the airport (flat fee of $28.50 plus tip) or the train. Here are the schedules. Look at either Market East or Suburban Station.

Weekdays:

SEPTA | Airport Line Regional Rail Schedule | Weekday | to Philadelphia International Airport

Saturday:

SEPTA | Airport Line Regional Rail Schedule | Saturday | to Philadelphia International Airport

Sunday:

SEPTA | Airport Line Regional Rail Schedule | Sunday | to Philadelphia International Airport

Old 04-21-2014, 07:07 AM

10,221 posts, read 16,752,543 times
AFAIK, there are two routes to the airport
http://septa.org/schedules/rail/pdf/air.pdf
http://septa.org/schedules/bus/pdf/037.pdf
there's also this one
http://septa.org/schedules/bus/pdf/108.pdf

south philly near the 37 si a decent bet and an extremely walkable neighborhood. the train runs every 30 min, I know there are plans to get it to every 20 but who knows when that will happen. taxis run $28.50 from center city but since you work there you may be able to find a better deal. I'd guess the fare from south philly would be less as well, and could be used to plug the schedule.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:55 AM

4,474 posts, read 4,001,092 times
If you only have 90 minutes from the call then you'll probably always be taking cabs at least to the airport. It depends on where you live in philly if a car will not be needed at all, somewhat maybe useful or you should probably have one.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:25 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,881,489 times
1. You do NOT need a car.

2. If you live in University City you can get to the airport by one of the frequent local trains from either the 30th Street Station (Philly's main train station) near Drexel University or the University City Station near the University of Pennsylvania and the hospitals.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
I would live in Center City. You definitely won't need a car. You can either take a cab to the airport (flat fee of $28.50 plus tip) or the train. Here are the schedules. Look at either Market East or Suburban Station.

Weekdays:

SEPTA | Airport Line Regional Rail Schedule | Weekday | to Philadelphia International Airport

Saturday:

SEPTA | Airport Line Regional Rail Schedule | Saturday | to Philadelphia International Airport

Sunday:

SEPTA | Airport Line Regional Rail Schedule | Sunday | to Philadelphia International Airport

Thank you. I just learned that the train actually does not operate 24 hours. As a flight attendant we get called for a trip any time of the day. I'm kind of worried about that. Other than the train, is there any other mode of transportation? Like the Bus, is it 24 hours?

Also, the $28.50 fee is that a flat rate? like even if you destination is only less than one mile, you pay that amount?

Thank you. I look forward to your response.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
1. You do NOT need a car.

2. If you live in University City you can get to the airport by one of the frequent local trains from either the 30th Street Station (Philly's main train station) near Drexel University or the University City Station near the University of Pennsylvania and the hospitals.
is that Septa? and is it 24 hours?

I really wish I can work this out without a car. And also, can you tell me more a lil bit about university center. Ive hear from people that there are shady/sketchy parts of the city. Is the university city a safe and friendly neighborhood?

Thank you.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:12 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,567,751 times
The $28.50 is the flat fare are from Center City to and from the airport. Otherwise, cabs are metered. I would suggest that rather than waiting for a bus in the middle of the night.

I'm surprised you are not given a schedule in advance.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
The $28.50 is the flat fare are from Center City to and from the airport. Otherwise, cabs are metered. I would suggest that rather than waiting for a bus in the middle of the night.

I'm surprised you are not given a schedule in advance.

Yea. Since I will be sitting reserve, I cannot pre-arrange my schedules. I'll have to wait for scheduling to schedule me for a trip. :C Is hailing a cab quite easy?

Old 04-22-2014, 04:48 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,505,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbanidoso View Post
Yea. Since I will be sitting reserve, I cannot pre-arrange my schedules. I'll have to wait for scheduling to schedule me for a trip. :C Is hailing a cab quite easy?
Yes, hailing a cab is very easy. Another option is Uber (https://www.uber.com/cities/philadelphia) which is a car service, like a cab. When you open the app, it pinpoints your location and shows you where all the cars are near you. You just press a button to request and a car will come get you at your location. It's linked to your credit card, so no money changes hands in the car, it just automatically deducts from your bank account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia