U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 07:28 AM

8,048 posts, read 18,476,341 times

Advertisements

Let's get back to discussing the specific case...or at least drug sales and use in the Philadelphia metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 08:20 AM

11,942 posts, read 10,824,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
I personally have no problem with pot other than it makes the already dull teens even duller. Don't know what the current medical info is in terms of danger. Don't know much about the dangers of ecstacy; coke can be a killer, though. What makes me shudder is the extensive heroine use in this country. How I WISH we could put those dealers away for life! To me it is one of the biggest problems facing our society.
Ecstacy can be pretty nasty-a lot of E pills have cocaine and other drugs in it. "Molly" is more popular now as it is pure MDMA-not sure how much safer or if at all it is though. Both probably put holes in your brain.

The rise in heroin use is due to the legal drug epidemic that everyone has been ignoring for so long. Pharmaceuticals is the most profitable industry in the country and legal drugs have been killing more people than any illegal drug ever has in the history of our nation. Many pill users sell their medication for profit and buy the much cheaper heroin. Other opiate addicts that no longer can get prescriptions turn to heroin.

Overdose Death Rate Surges, Legal Drugs Are Mostly to Blame | Alternet

For the poster that says we need to keep fighting The War on "Terror" because of poppy fields in Afghanistan, I am kind of in disbelief that anyone can be so misguided to believe in such obvious war propaganda in 2014. The War on "Drugs" and The War on "Terror" are very similar in that they were always intended to be ongoing endeavors with no identifiable enemy. The War on "Terror" of course makes money for the M.I.C. and war machine while the War on "Drugs" has militarized our police and put the ills of urban and black America on the back burner. The US protects poppy fields in Afghanistan and The Federal Reserve's favorite banks that we claimed are "too big to fail" back in 2008 have been caught many times laundering the drug money.

Drug War? American Troops Are Protecting Afghan Opium. U.S. Occupation Leads to All-Time High Heroin Production | Global Research

Old 04-23-2014, 08:32 AM

11,942 posts, read 10,824,387 times
I am a little surprised this story is gaining so much attention-even in the UK.

I guess it goes to show how utterly rare it is when someone wealthy not from the inner city is arrested in the longest and costliest war in American history.

Prosecutors Prep school graduates ran drug ring | Mail Online

Old 04-23-2014, 12:15 PM

609 posts, read 457,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post

I guess it goes to show how utterly rare it is when someone wealthy not from the inner city is arrested in the longest and costliest war in American history.

I'm not surprised, especially that it would appear in a scandal rag like the Daily Mail. I took a quick look to see if they reported on a report a couple of years ago about "rampant" drug use at Sidwell Friends (naturally the DM did), not that I have any doubt that there is plenty of drug use at Sidwell. Drug use at the various private schools in Philly was commonplace when I was in high school 30+ years ago.

When stories incidents like these occur they are always a big stories nationally in part because they're schadenfreude laced tales of privileged young adults getting their comeuppance which will play well with many. Also it's a man bites dog story because as you point out affluent drug users generally aren't caught in the legal system. This group however appears to be in very deep sh*t. I think the weapons in particular are going to cause them major legal problems.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:55 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,753,978 times
[quote=2e1m5a;34487280]Ecstacy can be pretty nasty-a lot of E pills have cocaine and other drugs in it. "Molly" is more popular now as it is pure MDMA-not sure how much safer or if at all it is though. Both probably put holes in your brain.

The rise in heroin use is due to the legal drug epidemic that everyone has been ignoring for so long. Pharmaceuticals is the most profitable industry in the country and legal drugs have been killing more people than any illegal drug ever has in the history of our nation. Many pill users sell their medication for profit and buy the much cheaper heroin. Other opiate addicts that no longer can get prescriptions turn to heroin.

Overdose Death Rate Surges, Legal Drugs Are Mostly to Blame | Alternet

Excellent point. I recall the day my Mom passed (she was living with me). The nurse who came to the home to pronounce her dead, asked about any drugs she was taking. He must have known that a hospice environment would have opiates. I handed over the morphine, and he said something about placing them in coffee grounds??? I was very overwrought, but I do recall that's what he said. I guess he wanted them completely destroyed so that they didn't end up on the street somehow. He said that people actually watch for bodies to be taken out, so that they can rob the home later of any possible drugs. Whoa!

Old 04-23-2014, 03:38 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,968,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post

They'll probably make a TV movie out of it.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:03 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,282,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
I personally have no problem with pot other than it makes the already dull teens even duller.
Sometimes, though, it enhances a person's creativity ...

Old 04-23-2014, 05:08 PM

7,476 posts, read 10,242,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
Sometimes, though, it enhances a person's creativity ...
Depending on how you define "enhance" and "creativity." The Doors were a great band musically, but those lyrics? Godawful.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:26 PM

640 posts, read 1,122,975 times
I'm sure Prescription Drugs and Heroin are growing in use on the main line as well........

In Pa drug use is on the rise:Solving Opioid Addiction Crisis: No Silver Bullet | NBC 10 Philadelphia

I work in center city financial district and the stories you hear from parents talking about their kids hooked on Prescription drugs are really sad. Drug use affects everyone rich,poor,black and white doesn't matter.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:20 PM

40 posts, read 65,583 times
When it was on Kensington Ave most people didn't care about it unless if you were directly involved with it, but now everyone is all, How could that happen here? I'm not surprised and now it gets media attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or