U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 04:34 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,521,384 times

Advertisements

He's right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 05:15 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,282,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snwmn5 View Post
Rising Sun goes down through North Philly too
And it's not pretty.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:46 AM

50 posts, read 73,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snwmn5 View Post
Rising Sun goes down through North Philly too
It also goes all the way up into Fox Chase where it becomes a quite, residential street.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:55 AM

Location: NJ = home of the hate, hypocrisy and hysteria dem party.
6,643 posts, read 4,637,543 times
And make sure if you have a car purchase a 12 cyl., model as many people in PA use the speed limit signs as suggestions as to the minimum speed verses the maximum speed.

I know when many PA drivers come into my neck of the woods in Southern NJ they speed way past the posted speed limit past me almost rear ending me many times. Too bad that I'm not joking about this and in fact makes me afraid to even consider a possible move to the Philly burbs. I want to be alive before and after getting out of my car afterall.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:20 AM

221 posts, read 320,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Cheesesteak View Post
It also goes all the way up into Fox Chase where it becomes a quite, residential street.
There's Rising Sun Ave up in Krewstown too. My point was that it goes through some rough parts of North Philly below the Northeast

Old 04-28-2014, 11:58 AM

74 posts, read 105,821 times
If you are used to living in crime infested places you mentioned yourself then you should be okay in crime infested Philly, especially North Philly. Truth is, North Phila is ugly and full of crime. But personally I consider all of Philly to be a dump. Sometimes I feel like I am driving through a war zone in NE Phila especially when I see those hood style homes with boarded windows...
Following your logic, of course there are places that are much worse, such as Detroit or Johannesburg or Hell for example. But why do you care? Just because there is a place out there that is muuuccchhh worse it doesn't make Philly any better.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofpearls View Post
If you are used to living in crime infested places you mentioned yourself then you should be okay in crime infested Philly, especially North Philly. Truth is, North Phila is ugly and full of crime. But personally I consider all of Philly to be a dump. Sometimes I feel like I am driving through a war zone in NE Phila especially when I see those hood style homes with boarded windows...
Following your logic, of course there are places that are much worse, such as Detroit or Johannesburg or Hell for example. But why do you care? Just because there is a place out there that is muuuccchhh worse it doesn't make Philly any better.
Ever been to Society Hill or Rittenhouse? Real dumps, they are ...

Old 04-28-2014, 06:03 PM

74 posts, read 105,821 times
Those are very small areas in comparison to the size of the city. Plus every bench is always occupied by drunk hobos and "interesting" characters who forgot to take their daily dose of Haldol every time I am there... Just sayin)

Let me give you this analogy to why I think Philly is a dump as a whole. Would you eat a tomato that is 99% rotten and infested with worms that are coming out of it just because somewhere in a middle of that tomato there is a small and tiny core that is okay/ish.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Those are very small areas in comparison to the size of the city. Plus every bench is always occupied by drunk hobos and "interesting" characters who forgot to take their daily dose of Haldol every time I am there... Just sayin)

Let me give you this analogy to why I think Philly is a dump as a whole. Would you eat a tomato that is 99% rotten and infested with worms that are coming out of it just because somewhere in a middle of that tomato there is a small and tiny core that is okay/ish.
But 99% of the city isn't rotten, not even close. Thankfully, I'm well-adjusted and know how to focus on and enjoy the positives Philadelphia offers.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:01 PM

22,632 posts, read 12,795,075 times
Quote:
Quote:

My neighborhood, Spruce Hill, is not a dump. The neighborhood to the west, Garden Court, is not a dump. The neighborhoods to the south, Woodland Terrace and Squirrel Hill are not dumps. Powelton Village, to the north, is not a dump. In fact the neighborhoods that make up the University City District are beautiful. Not just "nice" or "pretty" ... but beautiful. Clark Park (the park, not me) is beautiful. The architecture of the Victorian homes is elegant, the shady streets, little shops and cafes, the ethnic restaurants and pubs make the neighborhood lively, vibrant, and attractive.

When I entertain relatives and friends from NY, Boston, California, Florida - even the UK - they are astonished how lovely Philly is. It breaks all their stereotypes and preconceived ideas. No, I do not take them to Strawberry Mansion or Feltonville or Tioga/Nicetown ... but Northern Liberties, Fishtown, Manayunk, East Passyunk, even Germantown are on the agenda.

To quote my favorite uncle, who lives in NYC: "Philadelphia is the most under-rated city in America!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or