U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 08:24 PM

2,377 posts, read 2,696,447 times

Advertisements

Ignorance is strength.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 08:30 PM

74 posts, read 105,803 times
MikeNigh you don't have to send me personal IMs filled with hate. Its pathetic.

I don't like Philly, I consider it a dump, and that's MY opinion and MY right to think that way. If that hurts you that badly then consider Prozac

Last edited by motherofpearls; 04-28-2014 at 08:48 PM..

Old 04-29-2014, 07:31 AM

2,377 posts, read 2,696,447 times
I didn't send an IM, I posted what I had to say on the thread itself. To elaborate on what I said, Philly is a kind of microcosm of the US in general IMO. If you can't learn to live in the good parts and ignore the bad (which mainly stick to themselves, either suburbs or urban) then maybe you should move out of the US?

Last edited by MikeNigh; 04-29-2014 at 07:49 AM..

Old 04-29-2014, 09:12 AM

2,856 posts, read 2,067,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofpearls View Post

I don't like Philly, I consider it a dump, and that's MY opinion and MY right to think that way. If that hurts you that badly then consider Prozac
Just curious, would you consider most big cities to be dumps? There are some that just do not like cities period. Are you one of those?

Old 04-29-2014, 09:33 AM

2,913 posts, read 4,727,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
To quote my favorite uncle, who lives in NYC: "Philadelphia is the most under-rated city in America!"
Wish I could rep you, but I've got to "spread it around".

Old 04-29-2014, 09:51 AM

11,942 posts, read 10,821,262 times
Quote:
Why on Earth would you continue to live in a city you hate, or even worse-in a leeching suburb of the city you hate? Why would anyone take advice on prescription medication from someone who is so self-contradictory?

Northwest Philadelphia has some of the most beautiful neighborhoods and homes in the entire country, and it is MY opinion and that of many others that Philly is barnone the most underrated city in the US with a plethora of beauty. It must be so sad to live in a place where you see no beauty.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:56 AM

12,767 posts, read 28,910,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shygirl22 View Post
Please don't misinterpret the title. I am not afraid of Philadelphia as a whole, because every large city has it's good share of crime. In fact, I have lived in Puerto Rico almost all my life and have seen just about everything here..

I am afraid of all the scary things I' keep reading online. I mean half of the people taking probably haven't even lived in a neighborhood considered "hood".My cousin and I are both in our early 20's and will be moving to North Philadelphia. Yes.. I know, "why move there.. it's so ghetto etc etc". Well, my cousin is originally from north Philadelphia so he has family near by to back us up and knows his way around, we thought it would be a good place to start since we found a nice place to stay with no contract lease, that way we don't permanently have to stay just stay for a couple months. So, we hope if all goes well and he gets hired to move else where.

I just feel so negative and scared at the same time, maybe it's because I haven't moved far away from my family.. this is suppose to be a decent move, you know a place to start off fresh and go back to school to study, I am really looking forward to moving I love the fact the city has all seasons,attractions and quite honestly I think someone will do better here since there's more opportunities compared to other cities I've been to. I'm not the type of female to be on the streets late at night looking for trouble or wandering around on the streets. I am from Puerto Rico and the area will be living in is full of ricans, actually the crime here in Puerto Rico is wayy worst in my opinion, I've live in housing projects where there's been several shoot outs etc. I guess, since I never been to the state I'm just excited and afraid all at once.

I mean what exactly is considered "bad".. "bad" to the point where you have to sleep with one eye open? My cousin's aunt talks so well about it lol. She lived in north philly and she use to love it I guess it depends on the block, she lived in a decent area by a park.. all her neighbors knew her, she had a nice house.. but well she said "sure there's crime, but there's worst out there"
A mod reminder regarding the terms of service for this site: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Quote:
Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.....Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.
It serves no purpose to call each other names OR to say over and over how horrible Philadelphia is.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:25 PM

41 posts, read 28,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shygirl22 View Post
Please don't misinterpret the title. I am not afraid of Philadelphia as a whole, because every large city has it's good share of crime. In fact, I have lived in Puerto Rico almost all my life and have seen just about everything here..

I am afraid of all the scary things I' keep reading online. I mean half of the people taking probably haven't even lived in a neighborhood considered "hood".My cousin and I are both in our early 20's and will be moving to North Philadelphia. Yes.. I know, "why move there.. it's so ghetto etc etc". Well, my cousin is originally from north Philadelphia so he has family near by to back us up and knows his way around, we thought it would be a good place to start since we found a nice place to stay with no contract lease, that way we don't permanently have to stay just stay for a couple months. So, we hope if all goes well and he gets hired to move else where.

I just feel so negative and scared at the same time, maybe it's because I haven't moved far away from my family.. this is suppose to be a decent move, you know a place to start off fresh and go back to school to study, I am really looking forward to moving I love the fact the city has all seasons,attractions and quite honestly I think someone will do better here since there's more opportunities compared to other cities I've been to. I'm not the type of female to be on the streets late at night looking for trouble or wandering around on the streets. I am from Puerto Rico and the area will be living in is full of ricans, actually the crime here in Puerto Rico is wayy worst in my opinion, I've live in housing projects where there's been several shoot outs etc. I guess, since I never been to the state I'm just excited and afraid all at once.

I mean what exactly is considered "bad".. "bad" to the point where you have to sleep with one eye open? My cousin's aunt talks so well about it lol. She lived in north philly and she use to love it I guess it depends on the block, she lived in a decent area by a park.. all her neighbors knew her, she had a nice house.. but well she said "sure there's crime, but there's worst out there"
You're probably afraid of offending your cousin, but since you mentioned you have a five year old daughter I think it's worth speaking up and honestly explaining your concerns. Philadelphia is very neighborhood to neighborhood and block to block--it could be that the corner your relatives are is very different from what most people think of as North Philadelphia. Maybe you could get the exact address and look at it on google maps street view? Maybe check it out here on the crime maps site: Crime Maps & Stats | Philadelphia Police Department Start figuring out now if you will be near the El or the BSL line.

As far as what is considered bad that varies from person to person. For me it's whether I would feel that I was at risk of bodily harm--a homeless person or two on the street does not bother me. There are places in Philadelphia where I'd have that fear even during the daytime and where I'd worry about home breakins. Hopefully, this is not the kind of place where your cousin's family has chosen to live.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:27 PM

41 posts, read 28,190 times
Quote:

Saying that all of Philly is a crime-infested dump isn't an opinion, it's a lie. There are multiple neighborhoods in Philly that are not infested with crime, especially violent crime, and it's unhelpful to newcomers if you describe the city this way because they will not realize it for the lie that it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or