Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 12:43 PM

3 posts, read 5,491 times

Advertisements

Please don't misinterpret the title. I am not afraid of Philadelphia as a whole, because every large city has it's good share of crime. In fact, I have lived in Puerto Rico almost all my life and have seen just about everything here..

I am afraid of all the scary things I' keep reading online. I mean half of the people taking probably haven't even lived in a neighborhood considered "hood".My cousin and I are both in our early 20's and will be moving to North Philadelphia. Yes.. I know, "why move there.. it's so ghetto etc etc". Well, my cousin is originally from north Philadelphia so he has family near by to back us up and knows his way around, we thought it would be a good place to start since we found a nice place to stay with no contract lease, that way we don't permanently have to stay just stay for a couple months. So, we hope if all goes well and he gets hired to move else where.

I just feel so negative and scared at the same time, maybe it's because I haven't moved far away from my family.. this is suppose to be a decent move, you know a place to start off fresh and go back to school to study, I am really looking forward to moving I love the fact the city has all seasons,attractions and quite honestly I think someone will do better here since there's more opportunities compared to other cities I've been to. I'm not the type of female to be on the streets late at night looking for trouble or wandering around on the streets. I am from Puerto Rico and the area will be living in is full of ricans, actually the crime here in Puerto Rico is wayy worst in my opinion, I've live in housing projects where there's been several shoot outs etc. I guess, since I never been to the state I'm just excited and afraid all at once.

I mean what exactly is considered "bad".. "bad" to the point where you have to sleep with one eye open? My cousin's aunt talks so well about it lol. She lived in north philly and she use to love it I guess it depends on the block, she lived in a decent area by a park.. all her neighbors knew her, she had a nice house.. but well she said "sure there's crime, but there's worst out there"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 06:05 PM

225 posts, read 395,090 times
I have lived in Philly since 1961. I am 59 now. It is a city of neighborhoods and like all cities it is all about location, class and wealth.
The poorer the neighborhood the more negative issues so move to the best neighborhood you can afford and you will avoid a lot of problems. Be discriminating with who you roll with and where you hang.

Like I said I have lived here since 1961 and have not run into much in the way of drama.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:30 PM

4,508 posts, read 4,045,228 times
Since you are puerto rican it seems that it should be fine to move into the area of philly that is mostly puerto rican. I don't imagine people here being able to give much advice on the area since they probably don't live or visit there often.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:34 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,664 times
Hi Shygirl, I think you'll be fine. Just watch your surroundings and build your finances, circle of friends, and connections in order to move to a better quality neighborhood.

Your post sounds very similar to a young lady that has post here recently. She and her boyfreind are moving from PR and are trying to determine if PA or FL would best for their relocation. What a co incidence? 😉

Old 04-27-2014, 12:43 AM

385 posts, read 401,143 times
Move where you feel comfy. What you can afford. Hang with who you feel comfy with. I wouldn't just say move to where its all puerto rican just because you are that race. Nothing against it. But what you feel is good for you. From reading your post you said you've seen it all from P.R. ....I Guess Philly cant be so bad. But i can understand the unsure decision. New lifestyle,surroundings,atmosphere.

I would suggest move somewhere that is pretty good in the area of transit. If you don't plan on having a car. I think you'll be good if you a few blks away from a train,subway,bus,trolley or something. Not to far like the FAR NE...where sometimes it seems impossible to even think about transit sometimes lol.

I'm sure your family here will lead you to a nice area Best of luck.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:35 AM

Thanks everyone we decided that we will make the move on the beggining of next year.. I have a five year old daughther so its a bit scary for me to move somewhere I've never been to before and at times people make philadelphia out to seem like its such a terrible spot which I highly doubt but eitherway its a mission for me to move with a child

Old 04-27-2014, 09:36 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shygirl22 View Post
Thanks everyone we decided that we will make the move on the beggining of next year.. I have a five year old daughther so its a bit scary for me to move somewhere I've never been to before and at times people make philadelphia out to seem like its such a terrible spot which I highly doubt but eitherway its a mission for me to move with a child
the projects are dangerous everywhere (in PR, Philly, Chicago, etc). even bad neighborhoods where crime is more prevalent are generally safer than the projects where even good people are caught up. what part of north philly?

Old 04-27-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
the projects are dangerous everywhere (in PR, Philly, Chicago, etc). even bad neighborhoods where crime is more prevalent are generally safer than the projects where even good people are caught up. what part of north philly?
That is true, in Rising Sun ave I believe but from here and there we should have enough time to plan and prepare. I'm concern about my daugther I will have to work and need a good daycare in a good area where I am able to walk and pick her up since I won't have a car

Old 04-27-2014, 03:25 PM

126 posts, read 203,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shygirl22 View Post
That is true, in Rising Sun ave I believe but from here and there we should have enough time to plan and prepare. I'm concern about my daugther I will have to work and need a good daycare in a good area where I am able to walk and pick her up since I won't have a car
well I just googled that street and I believe that is lawncrest, which is actualy in northEAST philly. If this is the case you should be perfectly fine, that is much safer area than the heart of north philly

Old 04-27-2014, 04:30 PM

221 posts, read 400,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mls128 View Post
well I just googled that street and I believe that is lawncrest, which is actualy in northEAST philly. If this is the case you should be perfectly fine, that is much safer area than the heart of north philly
Rising Sun goes down through North Philly too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia