U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,009 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

My boyfriend and I recently found new jobs and are looking to relocate somewhere in Philly's suburbs. I work in Plymouth Meeting while my boyfriend just got a new job in Trenton, NJ.

Before my boyfriend found his job in Trenton we were interested in living in Chestnut Hill. We found it incredibly charming and it is a convenient 12-15 minute commute to my office. Unfortunately, it looks like it would take my boyfriend about an hour to trive to Trenton from Chestnut Hill.

Bensalem, PA looks to be about halfway between our two offices, with a 25-30 minute commute for each of us. While the commute will certainly be better for my boyfriend, we aren't sure that Bensalem seems like a fun, vibrant place to live.

I would really appreciate any advise to help us make the decision between where we should settle into an apartment! What are your opinions on Bensalem? Will it be a fun place to live? Or, will living in Chestnut Hill be worth a longer commute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 02:28 PM

7,473 posts, read 10,234,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeank111 View Post
Hello everyone!

My boyfriend and I recently found new jobs and are looking to relocate somewhere in Philly's suburbs. I work in Plymouth Meeting while my boyfriend just got a new job in Trenton, NJ.

Before my boyfriend found his job in Trenton we were interested in living in Chestnut Hill. We found it incredibly charming and it is a convenient 12-15 minute commute to my office. Unfortunately, it looks like it would take my boyfriend about an hour to trive to Trenton from Chestnut Hill.

Bensalem, PA looks to be about halfway between our two offices, with a 25-30 minute commute for each of us. While the commute will certainly be better for my boyfriend, we aren't sure that Bensalem seems like a fun, vibrant place to live.

I would really appreciate any advise to help us make the decision between where we should settle into an apartment! What are your opinions on Bensalem? Will it be a fun place to live? Or, will living in Chestnut Hill be worth a longer commute?
Bensalem is declining sprawl. Chestnut Hill is a perennially gorgeous streetcar suburb-style neighborhood. Absolutely no comparison.

As for whether living in CH is worth the commute to Trenton... I'm not familiar with the commute, but taking 309 --> 276 --> U.S. 1 is about 40 minutes without traffic. I couldn't tell you how long that would be during rush hour, but my guess is close to an hour?

On the other hand, there are no places like CH that are anywhere near optimally midway between Plymputh Meeting and Trenton. Maybe Haddonfield, Haddon Township, or Collingswood, in which case the commute would suck for both of you.

Not sure what I'd do if I were in your position. If you were considering Bensalem, you might not mind Upper Dublin (closer to your work) or Northampton (closer to his work). Both are mostly post-war sprawl, but they're at least upscale/stable. Horsham or Willow Grove might work too. Harboro is a pleasant (albeit sleepy) small town close to the Turnpike.

Good luck.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:44 PM

11,942 posts, read 10,817,344 times
The Chestnut Hill East Regional Rail line goes to Trenton-it'll still be an hour+ but at least you won't be sitting in traffic breathing in fumes.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:47 PM

2,189 posts, read 6,852,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
The Chestnut Hill East Regional Rail line goes to Trenton-it'll still be an hour+ but at least you won't be sitting in traffic breathing in fumes.
That would make sense if his office is within walking distance of the train station.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:03 PM

175 posts, read 241,679 times
Chestnut Hill is amazing. Thats where Im moving. you will never get that kind of small town feeling but within a few mins of center city anywhere else.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:09 PM

1,567 posts, read 2,662,851 times
There's absolutely nothing appealing about Bensalem. I'd gladly spend extra time in the car with my Pandora cranked and live in Chestnut Hill.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:18 AM

10,026 posts, read 14,472,347 times
technically, heavenwood, it's a railroad suburb not a streetcar suburb. it was developed by the railroad and is still served by the railroad. bensalem is the polar opposite of chestnut hill. ambler might be a good compromise

Old 05-02-2014, 08:23 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,966,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
technically, heavenwood, it's a railroad suburb not a streetcar suburb. it was developed by the railroad and is still served by the railroad. bensalem is the polar opposite of chestnut hill. ambler might be a good compromise
Ambler might be, but not sure it would be much better of a commute to Trenton than Chestnut Hill. Not better enough to justify choosing one over the other, and Chestnut Hill is much nicer than Ambler.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:48 AM

10,026 posts, read 14,472,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Ambler might be, but not sure it would be much better of a commute to Trenton than Chestnut Hill. Not better enough to justify choosing one over the other, and Chestnut Hill is much nicer than Ambler.
indeed, but if it is, ambler is pretty nice. I like it better than the other suburbs north of the city

Old 05-02-2014, 11:08 AM

7,473 posts, read 10,234,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I thought trolley cars ran there too at one time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or