Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 10:47 AM

85 posts, read 224,487 times

Advertisements

Good Day I am considering moving to Philadelphia.
I am a native NY'er and would like to be closer to NYC but not back in it.
For the past 14 years I have lived in the South and long to relocate up North.
I telecommute so therefore I won't need to seek employment.
I am hoping to pay no more than $1500.00 for a 2 bedroom rental.
Which side of Philly is best to reside for a single 40 year old?

My only requirements are Safety, a Good Library, Costco and Whole Foods
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 11:05 AM

4,509 posts, read 4,044,124 times
If you can get nearby either of philly's whole foods then those are great neighborhoods.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:14 AM

Thanks MikeNigh! I will be sure to search in those areas too

Old 04-23-2014, 01:20 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
The five Costco locations in the Philadelphia area - Warminster, North Wales, King of Prussia, Pottstown* in PA as well as Mt. Laurel in NJ - are safer and suburban towns.

Cross-referencing that with some of the Whole Foods in the area, it would appear that North Wales is your sweet spot for both of your favorite retailers. I would presume that the library system in North Wales is pretty good as well. Your budget should be plenty for a 2BR apartment in North Wales.

If your home is your castle and you are content with access to typical suburban conveniences and amenities, then North Wales will be fine. If you'd like to be closer to multiple nightlife and cultural options, look in Center City (i.e. downtown) around the Art Museum area - where the Callowhill Whole Foods location is - and gear up for monthly trips out to Costco. Or split the difference and live in Wynnewood which is reasonably close to Center City and some decent nightlife along the Main Line (Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, Wayne).

*Pottstown might be the least attractive option but it's telling that Costco decided to open up shop there.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:51 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,929,395 times
Cherry Hill area would not be bad either. I know the Costco is in Mt. Laurel but it's not too far from Cherry Hill if you are near route 295. There is a Whole Foods in Marlton and there is plan to open one in Cherry Hill in the near future. The Cherry Hill library is very nice.

You can also bus to NYC from Cherry Hill

Old 05-01-2014, 10:40 AM

Thanks sj08054..I visited Cherry Hill a couple of months ago and it did seem nice.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:53 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times
Choose Center City or the surrounding area. You'll have a better social life!

Old 05-02-2014, 06:54 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,215,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
The five Costco locations in the Philadelphia area - Warminster, North Wales, King of Prussia, Pottstown* in PA as well as Mt. Laurel in NJ - are safer and suburban towns.
Pretty sure there is a also a new Costco in Concordville/Chadds Ford Area. Along with a a Whole Foods,Fresh Market and they are about to build a Wegmans.

If you are looking for nice newer suburban areas in PA

Concordville/Chadds Ford,
West Chester
Malvern
King of Prussia,
Exton/Downingtown/Chester Springs,
Montgomeryville

Older Walkable downtowns

Media
Swarthmore
West Chester
Wayne
Haverford
Bryn Mawr
Ardmore
Narberth
Doylestown

In NJ

Cherry Hill-big suburban hub

In Del

Christiana

If urban is your thing then Center City/University City,Manayunk,Chesntnut Hill.

Good luck

Old 05-04-2014, 11:28 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Pretty sure there is a also a new Costco in Concordville/Chadds Ford Area. Along with a a Whole Foods,Fresh Market and they are about to build a Wegmans.
Duly noted. Thanks for the clarification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia