U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 11:44 AM

86 posts, read 358,370 times

Advertisements

can one make ends meet in the Montgomery/Delaware County areas renting a studio or 1 bedroom apartment?

Or do you have any other helpful suggestions - I would be open to hearing all of your input.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 01:00 PM

8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
It's possible but that covers a pretty broad area. Were there specific towns you were interested in? From that info, we could probably give you a better idea. For now I can say from experience that as a renter, your dollars will generally go a little further in Delaware County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowaytoknowyet View Post
can one make ends meet in the Montgomery/Delaware County areas renting a studio or 1 bedroom apartment?

Or do you have any other helpful suggestions - I would be open to hearing all of your input.

Thanks

Old 12-11-2007, 07:52 AM

35 posts, read 177,315 times
i definitely agree that your dollars will stretch farther in Delco... try areas like Aston, Boothwyn, Folcroft, Glenolden, Collingdale, Upper Darby, Drexel Hill etc... $695-$720 will get you a nice studio or 1 bedroom

Old 12-11-2007, 02:40 PM

86 posts, read 358,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'mSoPhilly View Post
i definitely agree that your dollars will stretch farther in Delco... try areas like Aston, Boothwyn, Folcroft, Glenolden, Collingdale, Upper Darby, Drexel Hill etc... $695-$720 will get you a nice studio or 1 bedroom
Thanks - now how safe are the towns mentioned? - are they near enough to Septa?

Old 12-12-2007, 07:19 AM

35 posts, read 177,315 times
well safe to me and safe to someone else may be two totally different things. i live in Southwest Philly, so to me those places are completely and utterly "safe" You may want to ask someone else's opinion but I think you'll be fine. As far as I know, SEPTA buses run through each of those places (I'm not sure about Aston and Boothwyn though b/c they're a little farther out) You can get to 69th St Station easily where there's the El to downtown and buses to King of Prussia. There's also a regional rail line that runs through Secane (another town that I forgot to mention). Go to www.4wallsinphilly.com and www.apartments.com and look at places in Delaware County. They have lisitings of all the neighborhoods with maps and what SEPTA bus goes through where. HTH

Old 12-12-2007, 09:18 AM

8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
As I'mSoPhilly said, safety is in the eye of the beholder. I do have a bit of knowledge of Delaware County, having lived in Upper Darby for seven years so I can provide some perspective.

Compared to other suburban counties on the PA side of Philly, Delaware County probably has more working-class communities compared to the others... not that it's a bad thing. For your purposes, it makes it relatively more affordable. That said, there are still plenty of mid-to-upper-income communities. In general, you won't feel like a walking target in Delaware County... with the glaring unfortunate exception of the City of Chester, their waterfront revitalization efforts notwithstanding.

Upper Darby may be the most convenient for you as it is where the 69th Street Terminal is located. If you can be walking distance from either the #101 or #102 light rail routes, that would be even better. You may want to avoid living within a mile of 69th Street, however, as that area can be a bit sketchy at night.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:34 PM

2 posts, read 6,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowaytoknowyet View Post

Thanks
Check [url=http://www.Septa.org]SEPTA[/url] - there is a "clickable" map. The closer you are to 69th street, the cheaper things get. THere is a reason for that, like the one guy said it gets sketchy at night. but the train stops will give you areas to research. It will depend on where you work, how much you want to spend, etc. Good luck!

This keeps messing up the septa web site. It is www . septa . org

Old 01-22-2008, 08:58 PM

54 posts, read 166,336 times
nowaytoknowyet,

I work in Bala Cynwyd, and live in Ardmore (both of which are in montgomery county). My annual salary, before taxes, in $32,500, and I have a modest studio which goes for $850/month. You can probably find cheaper than that if you look closely. Anyway, yes, it is very possible to make ends meet. Especially if you don't have a lot of extra necessary expenses, (like credit card debt, payments on an expensive car, etc). But even with those, the area is very livable on that salary.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:41 AM

97 posts, read 514,516 times
I'm not seeing how someone can live a decent life in the main line for $30k without going into debt (or dipping into the bank of Mom&Dad).

You're bringing home $390 a week or less (assuming you contribute towards your health costs at work, and assuming you make some minor or token contribution toward your eventual retirement so that you are not destitute at Age 67).

So your monthly budget looks like this:

Income: ____________$1700 (after taxes, health & 401k deductions)
Rent _____________ -$850
Grocery/Care Products -$325
Gas________________ -$110 (assumes low mileage with efficient car)
Car Insurance_______ -$100
Car Payment (maybe)_ -$250
Add back 200 if no car
and assuming train pass.
Dining Out/Movies/etc._ $75 (at this point, you're in the hole)
Copay for Dr._________ $10 (Budget assumes 4 visits per year)
Tax Preparation________$15 (Budget assumes you pay someone to do)
Clothing______________$100
Shoes________________$10 (Budget assumes two pair a year)
Gifts for Mom&Dad______$15
Church Contributions____$?

Need I continue? This poor, hapless soul is already charging nearly 200 a month to his credit card just to live. This doesn't include many of the nicer things in life....museums, theater, etc.

No, I seriously doubt someone on that salary can live there unless their rent is under $500 a month - very difficult to do. That's why at this salary, main line singles are called roommates or adults who live with their parents.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:09 PM

11 posts, read 72,255 times
Default you can absolutely live on 32K a year!

I bought a house with less income than that! (though i know nothing of housing costs in delaware/montgomery counties).

in fact, i would advise the opening poster to consider buying if he does not have a lot of debt and will be staying put for awhile. it's a GREAT time to buy a house, especially for a first time home buyer. and many are shocked when they do the math and realize they can buy a house for less than renting.

With an income of 30K I bought a home and my monthly mortgage payment is $680/month for a 3 bedroom/2 bath row home.

it's in the city, but homes in the germantown/mt. airy neighborhoods are within the price range of what i paid for my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or