U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 03:56 PM

5 posts, read 28,431 times

Advertisements

Hi all-
My husband may be attending Temple Med School in the fall and we are looking into where to live in the Philly area. We have a 1.5 year old and a newborn. We would really like to rent in the downtown area and here are some criteria we are looking for:
-To be able to walk from where we live to a grocery store, shops, restaurants, and a park would be ideal.
-To not have to pay more than $1300 for rent. We can deal with 1 bedroom.
-For my husband to be able to catch public transportation to Temple Med school (Broad St. and Erie area).
-To not be farther than 15 minutes from Temple Med School
-To be in a safe area

Any suggestions from anyone? How far is the Rittenhouse square area by public transportation to Temple Med?
Is there anywhere that is ideal to live in Philly with no car? Is my idea of not spending over $1300 for rent realistic for a nice place?
Thanks so much for your input!! Any input would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 05:51 PM

2,189 posts, read 6,852,431 times
I suggest you look in Washington Square West. It's in center city, close to the Broad Street subway line (which will take your husband to Broad and Erie (in about 15 minutes). You are better off without a car, since parking is very expensive. Supermarkets and The Reading Terminal Market are within walking distance. Rittenhouse Square is also a good choice and also convenient, but you will probably find something more in your price range in Washington Square West. I suggest that you check craigslist for apartments in both locations, but either one would be just fine.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:31 PM

Thank you for that advice. I will definitely look into it. I appreciate any other advice! I actually have a follow up question: Do you think it's worth living in the suburbs for cheaper rent? Would it still be easy for my husband to commute to Temple and for me and my daughters to have lots of places to walk to?

Old 12-12-2007, 04:37 PM
Status: "Thou Shalt Not Lick the Surfaces of the "T"" (set 6 days ago)

31,055 posts, read 68,875,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAmama View Post
Thank you for that advice. I will definitely look into it. I appreciate any other advice! I actually have a follow up question: Do you think it's worth living in the suburbs for cheaper rent? Would it still be easy for my husband to commute to Temple and for me and my daughters to have lots of places to walk to?
Off the top of my head I can't name many "walkable" suburbs in the Main Line (suburbs west of Philly) that would be within a quick commute of Temple. RainRock lives in the Main Line and will likely chime in soon to offer you better assistance. I still think somewhere on the western side of Center City would be ideal.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:43 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Add the Art Museum area,Logan Square , Fitler Square to newmarlig's suggestions regarding center city. Schuykill River Trail and Kelly Drive are beautiful recreational riverfront trails that run for 5 miles from center city all the way to Manayunk. During non winter months this is my go to place for recreational activities.

In NW Philly and fairly close to temple is Chestnut Hill,Mount Airy,Upper Roxborough,Andorra sections of Philadelphia, they are fabulous and close to Forbidden Drive which is an amazing recreational area in the Wissahickon Gorge where you can walk for miles and miles.

As far as suburbs go the Mainline apartment complexes tend to be older and they do show their age, you'd be surprised how little you get for your money.

Media which is 8 miles west of center city is a great little Mainstreet usa type town, and is well worth checking out. Ridley Creek State Park is a couple miles west of Media and is amazing recreational area where you can hike,bike,cross country ski, etc..The town itself is very walkable with a few parks here and there.Media is Probably your best bet if you think you want to be in the suburbs and the distance into the city isnt prohibitive. Very safe area, quick rail access into the city.

Good luck

Old 12-12-2007, 06:12 PM

2,189 posts, read 6,852,431 times
Since the OP doesn't want to keep a car, I still say my suggestion of Washington Square West (or Rittenhouse Square) would offer the easiest access to the Broad Street subway and therefore to Temple Hospital. Another suggestion would be Bella Vista (where he could walk to the Broad Street line).

Old 12-13-2007, 09:38 AM

468 posts, read 2,167,685 times
You want an easy commute to Temple Med up the Broad Street Line, so Wash West would be your best bet in Center City. Walnut-Locust to Erie is a 15 minute ride on the Broad Street Line. Depends on what you mean by a "nice place" (a newer unit? amenities? probably not) but you can find some deals and $1,300 for a 1-bedroom is definitely possible.

If you want to go a little cheaper, maybe look into the Italian Market/Passyunk Square areas of South Philly, somewhere around the Ellsworth-Federal or Tasker-Morris stops. You want to be east of Broad but still close to it. Passyunk Ave has a bunch of shops, and you're close to a couple grocery stores and of course the Italian Market. 20 minute ride from Ellsworth-Federal.

Because Temple is in North Philly, the Main Line, Delaware County, and other western suburbs are really not convenient. The northern suburbs-- Cheltenham, Jenkintown, Ambler, etc-- would be better options if you choose to live outside the city. Ambler in particular has a nice downtown area with shops, restaurants, a historic movie theater, etc. The downside is that you're looking at a half hour commute on Regional Rail, which is more expensive and doesn't run nearly as frequently as the subway in the city.

You're probably not going to find that the suburbs offer an exceptional cost difference between the city... for the most part Philly is still a cheap city. People tend to choose the suburbs because of the school system (or because they want suburban-style amenities, or to avoid the wage tax if they work in the 'burbs too), not because it's cheaper to live out there.

You might want to live in the city until your kids are starting school, then move to a place like Ambler if you're still in the area at that point.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:01 AM

271 posts, read 1,306,275 times
Default Maybe try Wyncote, Cheltenham or

Glenside for a suburban area that still offers decent proximity to Temple U.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:05 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,323,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
Since the OP doesn't want to keep a car, I still say my suggestion of Washington Square West (or Rittenhouse Square) would offer the easiest access to the Broad Street subway and therefore to Temple Hospital. Another suggestion would be Bella Vista (where he could walk to the Broad Street line).
I have lived in both of these locations and agree, good neighborhoods, and convenient to EVERYTHING (coming from a fellow non-car-owner ).

Old 12-14-2007, 10:29 AM

Thanks all for those responses. They were really helpful. It sounds like living in the city may be our best option, considering my husband's commute and our wanting to walk most places.
I have 2 more questions for anyone who is still reading this,
- Do any of you know any good churches downtown Philly? Any recommendations? Is there any sort of consensus in Philly as to the best churches, even if they are in the suburbs?
- Are they any playgrounds in the downtown area? I'm excited about all of the recreational areas you all mentioned, but my girls would probably be more excited about slides and swings.
Thanks again! This information has been so valuable to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or