U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-16-2013, 06:46 AM
 
Location: a swanky suburb in my fancy pants
3,391 posts, read 7,737,587 times
Reputation: 1586

Advertisements

It's true HeavenWood. If you know anything about real estate you can just look at the listings to see CH offers more for the money. You may be influenced by a bias against '60's-'80's tract houses in spite of the extra sf and other features they offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-16-2013, 08:14 AM
 
Location: North by Northwest
7,473 posts, read 10,235,627 times
Reputation: 4755
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
It's true HeavenWood. If you know anything about real estate you can just look at the listings to see CH offers more for the money. You may be influenced by a bias against '60's-'80's tract houses in spite of the extra sf and other features they offer.
Actually, I'm influenced by statistical data compiled by a reliable source. You're glancing at what's for sale at a particular point in time. Just because Cherry Hill has some "hot" properties going for bottom dollar prices right now doesn't change the fact that the real estate stock, as a whole, costs about the same as in comparable PA suburbs, which have a significant amount of mid-century tract housing of their own (and that doesn't even address the fact the house Frank cherry-picked needed extensive updates and had $7,200+ in taxes).

At some point, when I have more time, I'll do a statistical analysis, stratified by year, to get $ per square foot figures (something the Census doesn't provide).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2013, 08:38 AM
 
1,114 posts, read 1,966,926 times
Reputation: 420
Zillow provides this type of information. For example, it shows Cherry Hill, with avg value of $224k and $120 / sq foot.

As a comparison, Nether Province Twp, PA (outside of Media) is shown at $278k avg value and $138 / sq foot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2013, 08:45 AM
 
Location: North by Northwest
7,473 posts, read 10,235,627 times
Reputation: 4755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Zillow provides this type of information. For example, it shows Cherry Hill, with avg value of $224k and $120 / sq foot.

As a comparison, Nether Province Twp, PA (outside of Media) is shown at $278k avg value and $138 / sq foot
Zillow's figures are off, though.

Quote:
Median owner-occupied home value

Cherry Hill: $293,200
--------------------
Haverford: $307,900
Springfield (Delco): $299,000
Cheltenham: $291,000
Abington: $272,000
Media: $268,900
Jenkintown: $230,000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2013, 08:51 AM
 
Location: a swanky suburb in my fancy pants
3,391 posts, read 7,737,587 times
Reputation: 1586
I am certainly not in a position to tell you what the situation was ten years ago or what it may be ten years in the future. I am talking about here and now, the values are incredible. The house frank chose was typical of what I have seen and IMO it is unbeatable for that kind of money and the same thing applies to higher price points. Also I am not a fashion victim so "updates" aren't so important to me. That being said I have remodeled a few properties and know what it costs. Please don't make me feel guilty by wasting your time on a statistical analysis for my benefit. It won't influence what I can see with my own eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2013, 08:57 AM
 
Location: North by Northwest
7,473 posts, read 10,235,627 times
Reputation: 4755
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I am certainly not in a position to tell you what the situation was ten years ago or what it may be ten years in the future. I am talking about here and now, the values are incredible. The house frank chose was typical of what I have seen and IMO it is unbeatable for that kind of money and the same thing applies to higher price points. Also I am not a fashion victim so "updates" aren't so important to me. That being said I have remodeled a few properties and know what it costs. Please don't make me feel guilty by wasting your time on a statistical analysis for my benefit. It won't influence what I can see with my own eyes.
lol if dated appliances and worn carpets don't bother you, all the more power to you; I personally like ovens that don't take hours to preheat and dishwashers that can... clean dishes. If you trust your "eyes" more than actual scientific surveys, I'd love a pair of those peepers. And the statistical analysis would be for my benefit, because now I'm slightly curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2013, 09:42 AM
 
1,114 posts, read 1,966,926 times
Reputation: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Zillow's figures are off, though.
It's based on their estimate of value, which would differ from the census (who knows where that came from). They have other statistics in there as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2013, 10:10 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
23,169 posts, read 28,586,554 times
Reputation: 9566
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafftago View Post
I am looking to retire next year. I want to leave NJ due to High Taxes but want to stay close to Cherry Hill, NJ.(son lives there) I live in Central NJ(Tinton Falls) What's a good town in PA close to Cherry Hill for me so I can see grandchildren often?
Northern Delaware

Northern Delaware around Naaman's road is ~30 - 35 miles from Cherry Hill. No sales tax & lower property taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2013, 12:20 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
23,169 posts, read 28,586,554 times
Reputation: 9566
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Northern Delaware

Northern Delaware around Naaman's road is ~30 - 35 miles from Cherry Hill. No sales tax & lower property taxes.
Correction 30 - 35 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2013, 05:12 PM
 
Location: South Jersey
7,780 posts, read 18,921,816 times
Reputation: 2329
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
True. Taxes are a bit higher in Camden county. But you can buy a heck of a nice home for well under $200k. Look at this one. You could buy it for $180k.


16 Knollwood Drive, Cherry Hill NJ - Trulia

Or this one for $120k and low taxes! Thats Philly row home prices people

16 Knollwood Drive, Cherry Hill NJ - Trulia

The second one is the same house. HERE is the $120k single home ..

8 Edison Road, Cherry Hill NJ - Trulia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top