U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-17-2013, 12:13 PM
 
Location: a swanky suburb in my fancy pants
3,391 posts, read 7,737,032 times
Reputation: 1586

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Of course it's subjective and influenced by personal taste. That's why I try to find hard data whenever possible so my own biases don't get in the way of what the truth is (when there is a truth, as opposed to just a series of subjective opinions).
I still can't imagine any data that could prove CH real estate is or isn't undervalued compared to PA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
08034 is the central Cherry Hill zip code.
Thank You. I didn't know there was a central. I have only heard about east and west. Would this zip fall more into east or west?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-17-2013, 12:19 PM
 
Location: North by Northwest
7,473 posts, read 10,234,141 times
Reputation: 4755
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I still can't imagine any data that could prove CH real estate is or isn't undervalued compared to PA.
The method I mentioned above would give a pretty good idea--certainly better than Zillow or ACS data alone. Abington has more prewar stock and CH has more modern stock, but both have more than enough 50s-70s housing to make the comparison a fair one (made more illuminating through stratification by construction date).

And 08003 most closely corresponds to CH East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2013, 12:40 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
23,168 posts, read 28,579,960 times
Reputation: 9566
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I still can't imagine any data that could prove CH real estate is or isn't undervalued compared to PA.


Thank You. I didn't know there was a central. I have only heard about east and west. Would this zip fall more into east or west?
When Cherry Hill got its own zip it was 08034. (Haddonfield is 08033. 2 additional zips have been added. My zip was always 08034 & don't know the precise boundaries, but that zip would be central since it's around the Ellisburg circle area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2013, 01:15 PM
 
756 posts, read 1,922,053 times
Reputation: 165
08034 fell under the CH High School West school territory prior to CH permitting students the ability to choose which of the two high schools they can attend.

I think I-295 bisects Cherry Hill pretty much and defines the difference between east and west, although the post office locations are misleading as the 08034 post office is east of I-295 (really in 08003), and the 08002 post office is in Ellisburg shopping center (really in 08034). Another post office location for 08003 is in Woodcrest Shopping Ctr.

Ellisburg is a central area in CH.

The far most west side of town where JCPenney, Pathmark and the old Toyota dealership were located, as well as areas west of the AC Line track on 70, is quite a hike and it has a different feel to the east side of town where it borders Voorhees, and vice versa.

Last edited by avg12; 04-17-2013 at 01:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2013, 01:52 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
23,168 posts, read 28,579,960 times
Reputation: 9566
Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
08034 fell under the CH High School West school territory prior to CH permitting students the ability to choose which of the two high schools they can attend.

I think I-295 bisects Cherry Hill pretty much and defines the difference between east and west, although the post office locations are misleading as the 08034 post office is east of I-295 (really in 08003), and the 08002 post office is in Ellisburg shopping center (really in 08034). Another post office location for 08003 is in Woodcrest Shopping Ctr.

Ellisburg is a central area in CH.

The far most west side of town where JCPenney, Pathmark and the old Toyota dealership were located, as well as areas west of the AC Line track on 70, is quite a hike and it has a different feel to the east side of town where it borders Voorhees, and vice versa.
LOL, I was in the last class from both sides of town to go to West. Barclay was supposed to continue to go to West, but some people with money & influence wanted their darlings to go to the new school so the zoning was changed for many years & my sister graduated from East.

For a couple of years Barclay was switched to West, then the rule was changed to choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 12:13 PM
 
61 posts, read 41,366 times
Reputation: 53
Forget nJ mainly because of real estate tax situation. I have lived in North Jersey for over 50 years and am now looking to relocate since I am now a "renter" in a small North Jersey City (actually some call it the "hood") the once great manufacturing city of Paterson, NJ. Still great in many ways, great areas, some high crime areas, etc. mostly Hispanic and Middle Eastern population, black folks are moving South, many to Delaware, etc. I, an "old white lady" have lived here for many years, now being priced out. I have heard that NJ has the highest rate of people moving away, most because of real estate taxes. Many going to NC. For myself I must be somewhat "urban" since I do not/will not keep a vehicle. Paterson has served me well for that reason, but just tiring because of so many problems. Many wonderful people here, I always have people with whom I can have great conversation. For me, Paterson is a "love/hate" relationship. I want to own a home again before I die, am not going to a senior place where everyone sits around and says, "where is she going", what is she wearing, etc. and I look pretty damn great "for my age". So what's an old lady to do ?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2019, 07:50 AM
 
Location: New York City
1,371 posts, read 781,025 times
Reputation: 2125
Quote:
Originally Posted by neleh View Post
Forget nJ mainly because of real estate tax situation. I have lived in North Jersey for over 50 years and am now looking to relocate since I am now a "renter" in a small North Jersey City (actually some call it the "hood") the once great manufacturing city of Paterson, NJ. Still great in many ways, great areas, some high crime areas, etc. mostly Hispanic and Middle Eastern population, black folks are moving South, many to Delaware, etc. I, an "old white lady" have lived here for many years, now being priced out. I have heard that NJ has the highest rate of people moving away, most because of real estate taxes. Many going to NC. For myself I must be somewhat "urban" since I do not/will not keep a vehicle. Paterson has served me well for that reason, but just tiring because of so many problems. Many wonderful people here, I always have people with whom I can have great conversation. For me, Paterson is a "love/hate" relationship. I want to own a home again before I die, am not going to a senior place where everyone sits around and says, "where is she going", what is she wearing, etc. and I look pretty damn great "for my age". So what's an old lady to do ?????
This was originally back in 2006. Pretty sure they've moved on with their life. Nice rant though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2019, 05:29 PM
 
27 posts, read 22,287 times
Reputation: 24
nm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 11:23 AM
 
61 posts, read 41,366 times
Reputation: 53
Default Philly

I would say skip NJ since the real estate taxes are out of site !! I am looking to move out of NJ, Philly is my favorite but lately "gentrification" has taken over and it is no longer affordable. I have already checked Collingswood NJ and taxes are still NJ taxes, unless buying a very small place. would have to commute to Philly via PATCO which is rather expensiave. I would not pay $350 + for a typical 14 x 48 row with stairs so steep. So , where to go, considering Cleveland, but wanted to stay on East Coast, since family is here and I have lived E. Coast, NJ for 50 + years. and no, I do not want to go to a damn senior place with all those old, nosy seniors, even though I am a "senior"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 11:11 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
27,263 posts, read 25,854,893 times
Reputation: 34119
My son is renting a small 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom, house in Pine Hill. It has a basement, walk up attic, fenced yard. There's a storage shed in the yard. The furnace, AC unit, and water heater are new. New this and new that. In other words, someone bought an old house and flipped it. The neighbors are nice and it's a quiet street. His rent is $1350 a month. He looked at a few places which he liked more and cost less, but they didn't allow pets.

You can live in a SFH in a decent neighborhood in Southern New Jersey with a $1200 rent. Considering that it's NJ, that's not bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top