Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 09:04 AM

37 posts, read 144,076 times

Advertisements

Please note that this thread was started in 2006!

What would you say is the best town to live in Penn that is within commuting distance to Cherry Hill, New Jersey? We are looking for extremely safe, quaint downtown area with shopping, restaurants, and great sense of community. If you had to pick what would you say is the most desirable place to live in that area? We are potentially being transferred from MI and I am looking for advice and opinions on great areas to live!
Thank you in advance for any advice you may be able to provide!

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-02-2019 at 06:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2006, 09:19 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,743,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmlammm View Post
What would you say is the best town to live in Penn that is within commuting distance to Cherry Hill, New Jersey? We are looking for extremely safe, quaint downtown area with shopping, restaurants, and great sense of community. If you had to pick what would you say is the most desirable place to live in that area? We are potentially being transferred from MI and I am looking for advice and opinions on great areas to live!
Thank you in advance for any advice you may be able to provide!
May I ask why you want to live in PA when the job is in Cherry Hill? Go on Google Maps, put in Cherry Hill, NJ. To the west you will see Philadelphia and adjacent PA towns which are densely populated city/suburbs. Those populated areas which would increase traffic time to work.

Now look on the New Jersey side to the surrounding towns near Cherry Hill. You have a selection of very nice towns, some with extraordinary schools.

The property taxes in Cherry Hill itself are just extreme, but if you go to surrounding towns such as Deptford, Haddonfield (amazing school system w/ a beautiful town center), Mt. Holly, Voorhees, Moorestown (gorgeous also w/ a beautiful town center), Marlton, so many more - you'll find some nice homes (some towns more affordable than others) within a reasonable drive time to Cherry Hill, or Philly for entertainment.

Old 10-25-2006, 09:35 AM

37 posts, read 144,076 times
Thank you! I guess I am looking at all the options..if it's better to be on the Philly side or NJ side? I see your point regarding the commute. I will look at the towns you mentioned. Thanks again!

Old 10-25-2006, 09:59 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,743,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmlammm View Post
Thank you! I guess I am looking at all the options..if it's better to be on the Philly side or NJ side? I see your point regarding the commute. I will look at the towns you mentioned. Thanks again!
You're welcome! Always good to look at as many options as possible! I would say that since the job is in Cherry Hill, NJ, and you're looking for "quaint" then you may want to explore the NJ side.

You can surely have "quaint" in PA, but the traffic and travel time to get across the bridge to the Cherry Hill job will be intense. Morning and evening rush hour traffic to cross the bridge either way can get quite crowded. Frankly most people who work in NJ, live here too. Many who live in that area of NJ work in Philly. It doesn't usually go the other way around, where someone would work in NJ and commute from PA. When you travel around both sides of the river you'll see what I mean.

You can easily find a charming town in NJ within a 20 - 30 minute drive to Cherry Hill. The property taxes might be a bit higher (depending on what home, in which town you buy, of course) than a similar home in PA, but when you factor in travel expenses it would easily even out.

Right now, Google and Realtor-dot-com will be good research resources for you. Good Luck!

Old 10-31-2006, 08:02 PM

5 posts, read 29,996 times
I have to agree with the preceding post. I live in Montgomery Co, PA and commute to Marlton several times a week. Even going back roads after crossing the Delaware River, the traffic can be horrendous at times. Even though NJ has the HIGHEST property taxes in the nation, you can find nice homes. It just depends on what you can afford. You can go very far from Cherry Hill in 30-45 minutes (when traffic flows). There are a lot of new developments popping up (too many, really) so it should not be that hard to find housing.

Old 10-31-2006, 11:51 PM

35 posts, read 77,799 times
The Pennsylvania side has done a much better job of town planning over the years but you don't want any parts of a Cherry Hill NJ to Pa. commute unless you make some decent coin and can afford to live in center City Philadelphia. If you can afford to live in Center City Philly(Soceity HIll-Rittenhouse Sq-Queen Village-Bella Vista) the commute is manageable. I live in West Chester Pa. which is about as quaint as it gets,(Think Thomas Kincade painting)well Center City is about 100 West Chesters in size but somehow manages to keep its tranquility.

Check out Center City Philly but going out to the suburbs of PA isn't going to work due to commuting issues.

In NJ I like Woodbury Heights,

Old 11-02-2006, 06:52 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,015,028 times
ditto the towns adream listed

Old 12-01-2006, 02:34 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,878,592 times
Philly, its right across the bridge and I do all my shopping in NJ(cheapest gas in the US and it has a Wegmans and LL Bean in Marlton).

Old 12-03-2006, 10:08 PM

8 posts, read 59,945 times
If you are looking for homes in the Philadelphia area, you are welcome to use my website at http://www.RealEstateMadeEasy.us (broken link) (No this isn't a solicitation...just a good resource.)

Old 04-15-2013, 09:57 AM

3 posts, read 12,238 times
I am looking to retire next year. I want to leave NJ due to High Taxes but want to stay close to Cherry Hill, NJ.(son lives there) I live in Central NJ(Tinton Falls) What's a good town in PA close to Cherry Hill for me so I can see grandchildren often?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia