U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2014, 10:40 AM

11 posts, read 13,968 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I may be accepting a job offer in Trenton NJ. I am looking on the Pennsylvania side for housing options. I see that almost all of the schools in Bucks County rate an 8 or higher (SchoolDigger). How accurate is this? I have already received several PM's from users here regarding real estate and I am very comfortable with my options as far as that. I was just wondering if this rating is realistic. I am moving from the DC suburbs in Northern Virginia. Here the schools receive high ratings as well and for the most part they deserve the rating and recognition they receive. If I can get the same or better, my child will make out like a scholar.

Also, make a case for living in NJ as opposed to Bucks County.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 01:34 PM

316 posts, read 886,598 times
Very accurate. I'm assuming you're talking about Council Rock, New Hope-Solebury, Pennsbury and Neshaminy school districts. They range from very good to excellent. They are on par with schools you'd find in Fairfax County.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:49 PM

149 posts, read 272,930 times
Very accurate. As the previous post mentioned, most of the districts are excellent. Specifically Council Rock, Central Bucks, New-Hope Solebury (in no particular order) are the cream of the crop. Pennsbury and Neshaminy are also good (might give the edge to Pennsbury between the two of them though). Centennial is Ok, as is Bensalem but stay away from Bristol.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:24 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,966,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roldanfam View Post
Hello all, I may be accepting a job offer in Trenton NJ. I am looking on the Pennsylvania side for housing options. I see that almost all of the schools in Bucks County rate an 8 or higher (SchoolDigger). How accurate is this? I have already received several PM's from users here regarding real estate and I am very comfortable with my options as far as that. I was just wondering if this rating is realistic. I am moving from the DC suburbs in Northern Virginia. Here the schools receive high ratings as well and for the most part they deserve the rating and recognition they receive. If I can get the same or better, my child will make out like a scholar.

Also, make a case for living in NJ as opposed to Bucks County.

Thank you
Based on what I have heard from others who moved from the DC suburbs in VA, the schools in PA are generally better than those in VA

Old 05-05-2014, 06:58 PM

11 posts, read 13,968 times
I like what I am hearing. I especially like the direct mention of NOVA schools. This decision is looking easier by the day.
Also, I see that no one has even tried to throw NJ into this conversation, that is very telling.

Thank all of you for these posts, keep them coming.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:41 PM

4,745 posts, read 7,845,060 times
The Philadelphia suburbs are chock full of high-performing school districts (the under-performers are the exception to the rule), so you'll be just fine in Bucks County. NJ also tends to have very high-performing suburban districts, so I think it ultimately comes down to your preference.

Compared to the DC area, and specifically NoVA, I think you'll find that it is noticeably easier to find an affordable home in a high-performing district given that its housing market is much more competitive than the Philly area.

Good luck!

Old 05-06-2014, 06:39 AM

10 posts, read 11,866 times
My husband had a job in Princeton, NJ and we lived in Bucks County. We specifically chose that location because of the schools. My kids were in the Central Bucks School system. We were there for 2 1/2 years and thought it was wonderful. You can't go wrong with schools in that area. Good luck!

Old 05-06-2014, 04:39 PM

8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
As mentioned, it is easier to pick out the least popular suburban school districts rather than list the ones that are good to great. Just as with Fairfax County school "pyramids", there tends to be a positive correlation between household income (and therefore housing costs) and school ratings, average test scores, etc.

Last edited by FindingZen; 05-08-2014 at 06:20 AM..

Old 05-08-2014, 12:22 AM

12,906 posts, read 11,145,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roldanfam View Post
I like what I am hearing. I especially like the direct mention of NOVA schools. This decision is looking easier by the day.
Also, I see that no one has even tried to throw NJ into this conversation, that is very telling.

Thank all of you for these posts, keep them coming.
Nobody has thrown NJ into the conversation because you're on the forum for the city of Philadelphia (PA). You'll find the best NJ info on the NJ forum, specifically in this case the NJ Suburbs of Philadelphia sub forum of the NJ forum. I would give you input but I'm in North Jersey so I know significantly less about South Jersey schools. Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or