U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 11:35 AM

10,026 posts, read 14,474,108 times

Advertisements

philadelphia is a rust belt city and a lot of people overlook that. the abandonment is like baltimore, the last list I saw had spring garden as the most expensive place to rent in philly. otoh, the area around chelten is mostly highrise and presumably affordable rents are in older walkups. the reality is that Philadelphia fell very far and those scars are most visible in north philly but they're also visible in germantown. both places "need improvement" in my mind. in places like francisville the blight is disappearing quickly (in places like northern liberties its mostly gone). Philadelphia isn't perfect but neither is any other place. people walk a lot in philly (even if not to work since jobs migrated to the burbs) but a lot of the good things about philly appear to be growing or improving. crime is down (in fact, the areas that saw the largest reductions in crime between 2012 and 2013 were mainly lower north philly and germantown). the parks are improving slowly, vacant lots are being built on, dilapidated building being renovated. the most complete"urban experience" to me is south philly you get off the subway at tasker morris and there's a tent where someone sells fruits and vegetables. there are bakeries, independent shops, supermarkets. I love northwest Philadelphia but mostly because of the homes and the greenery.

Last edited by pman; 05-15-2014 at 12:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 11:40 AM

1,283 posts, read 1,881,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
OK, so I am NOT joining the odd "neighborhood vs neighborhood" battle in this thread.

Basically, there was a pretty high level of retail and commerce. People came down to "the avenue" from other neighborhoods to shop. The 23 & 53 still ran down Wayne and Germantown Aves. There was an historic YMCA AND a, historic YWCA on either side of Vernon park. Big private school campuses (Germantown Academy, then Stevens school, and GFS, and Penn Charter just down the street), Quaker meeting houses, and the NW Regional Library, which as mentioned is still one of the biggest and best branches of the Phila Free Library. Maplewood "mall" (a cobblestone pedestrian lane) was still full of shops. There was a Cricket Club. It was really quite an active place, with a real downtown complete with a city hall and a 17th century town square. If it were its own city it would have been one of the largest in PA at one point (I was once told "second largest", but I cannot verify that fact).

I'm guessing not second largest - considering Pittsburgh. But top 5, definitely.

There's still a Cricket Club, and some lovely large banks - Wells Fargo and Citizens. The old Rowell is the current Walgreens.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:50 AM

3,260 posts, read 4,877,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
I'm guessing not second largest - considering Pittsburgh. But top 5, definitely.

There's still a Cricket Club, and some lovely large banks - Wells Fargo and Citizens. The old Rowell is the current Walgreens.
Germantown is older than Pittsburgh though, and Pittsburgh didn't really start getting large until the late 19th century. So it still may have been.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:13 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,281,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
everyone has an opinion. yes, you are limited, but just how limited is a matter of debate. some people drive everywhere and that's great for them, it doesn't make their life better. the trenton line is ok, it has poor off peak headways, the 25 bus is garbage which is why it has low ridership.
Oh, it's makes their life better ... lol

Last edited by Larry Bowa; 05-15-2014 at 04:28 PM..

Old 05-15-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Ah, I guess I misinterpreted some of your post I quoted, then. You just have a simple preference to have a car; I can certainly understand how Bridesburg would be convenient enough to NE Philly, South Jersey and - if budgeting for parking - Center City.
Re: Parking in CC - I'm cheap and I like to walk, so I usually find a free spot or park in my g/f's spot in Chinatown. But I will pay if I have to.

Last edited by Larry Bowa; 05-15-2014 at 04:28 PM..

Old 05-15-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
OK, so I am NOT joining the odd "neighborhood vs neighborhood" battle in this thread.

FWIW: Of course, I'm pro-Bridesburg, but I'd like to see ALL the neighborhoods that need some tlc improve - Germantown, Point Breeze, Kensington, wherever - it creates a better qol for all of us who plan on staying here.
We frequent Kellianne's (16th and Spring Garden) on occasion ... is Francisville north of there? Some beautiful properties back there.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
Oh, it's makes their life better ... lol
it might yes. kelli anns is the spring garden neighborhood

Old 05-15-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
it might yes. kelli anns is the spring garden neighborhood
I know. Is Francisville north of there?

Last edited by Larry Bowa; 05-15-2014 at 08:18 PM..

Old 05-16-2014, 04:51 AM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Finally looks like Market East may actually see some improvement via private investment. The plan for the 1200 block of Market-Chestnut looks impressive and will help Center City shed its underrated reputation.

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...t-east-to.html

Old 05-16-2014, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
I know. Is Francisville north of there?
fairmount to girard, broad to corinthian. the homes are nowhere near as nice as spring garden for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia