U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 03:04 PM

3,050 posts, read 2,751,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
Not a "million" ... lets not get crazy. lol
That should read "eat cheesesteaks." haha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 04:54 PM

2,856 posts, read 2,066,969 times
It always saddens me when I travel and talk to people that have never really been to the city and still think of Killadelphia, or think we are going by way of Detroit.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:02 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,281,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
This question spurs me to write. Let me explain why. There were two surprises when we moved to Philly from Houston upon my retirement 3+ years ago. The surprise I'm getting at is that nearly everyone we meet has spent their entire lives in the area. I experienced pretty much the opposite in transplant-heavy Houston where it is the rare bird who is a native. Personally, I have lived in 7 states. Why? Education & career. Many folks are intrigued when when they learned we moved here by choice. I think because so many people here are lifetime residents, they don't appreciate how dynamic this city is. Live somewhere else for a few years and you'll learn what I am talking about. Our many friends who have visited from Houston love it here. We have even had some repeat guests.

The second surprise is the friendliness of Philadelphians. The northeast has an unearned repetition for brusqueness bordering on rudeness. This hardly descries the people we've met over the peat 3+ years. I'm unsure why I should be surprised, because after numerous trips to NYUC and Boston during our years in Texas, we found folks there friendly, as well. Stereotypes are engrained and therefore hard to break, even when presented with evidence to the contrary.
Phladelphians ARE generally friendly and engaging ... you're probably a pretty pleasant person, that's why people are friendly with you. Act like an a-hole, you'll get treated like an a-hole. We don't play games here ...
I've always found New Yorkers to be friendly, Bostonians could use a boost in the sense of humor department, though.
I'm a lifelong resident, I love my neighborhood, city and I take advantage of all the city has to offer. I live a ten minute drive from downtown and it drives me crazy when people say "You go ALL the way down there?!" For chrisssakes, leave your block once in awhile ...
I was born here, raised here, went to school here, work here, bought a house here, all my family and friends are here - yes, I've traveled some - Is there anything wrong with that?
I'm asking because certain types on internet forums seem to think because I haven't lived all over the place for work, I haven't "lived" ... trust me, I've lived and experienced. I'm glad I have roots and familiar stomping grounds.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
It always saddens me when I travel and talk to people that have never really been to the city and still think of Killadelphia, or think we are going by way of Detroit.
The "Detroit" crowd is the same crowd who moves to the suburbs then think they're something special.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
THIS!! This is exactly why I absolutely love living in Manayunk! It's got that "small town" feel and neighborly connections, but it's still urban and close to everything.

People say the exact same thing about Bridesburg ... The Irishman from Fishtown doing stucco work for me said it yesterday as a matter of fact.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:16 PM

13,348 posts, read 18,629,509 times
Quote:
The "Detroit" crowd is the same crowd who moves to the suburbs then thinks they're something special.
Yes, the people who brag about how seldom they go into the city, and pretend that their quality of life in [insert township here] would remain high even if the city didn't exist. *****, if Philadelphia wasn't right next door, your precious township might as well be in Sullivan County.

I call those people Steigerwalden in honor of Bill Steigerwald, a Pittsburgh-area journalist who moved to Peters Township (Washington County) and occasionally throws grenades over the Allegheny County line. Lately he's been pretty quiet, though, considering Allegheny County is attracting the lion's share of newcomers to the Pittsburgh area, and is one of only two counties in the area (Butler County) to grow every year for the last six.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:03 PM

1,567 posts, read 2,663,137 times
Quote:
The "Detroit" crowd is the same crowd who moves to the suburbs then think they're something special.
And then posts poisonous drivel on a certain internet site that I won't name but it rhymes with billyspotmom.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:34 AM

4,528 posts, read 2,250,673 times
yeah everyone who loves philadelphia.....lives in center city where you have to be a rich professional to afford it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
I've been officially living in Philly proper for just over two months now. I've lived in the burbs before, and in other cities, but I just have to rave about how underrated this city is.

On Friday, a friend and I wandered around Center City in the gorgeous weather, chilled out in Washington Square West, and had an amazing lunch at Strangelove's with a cute bartender and waiter (and I defy anyone to find a restaurant around here without a hot bartender/waiter!)

Saturday we went to the South Street Festival with friends, hung out at Penn's Landing, then to The Good King for some amazing beer and their Chocolate Pot de Creme.

I've yet to have a bad meal in this city, and I've met more nice people around here than I did in the four years I lived in Carbon County.

I'm not saying that Philly doesn't have its issues. The garbage thing is a bit annoying. Obviously there are crime issues in some sections of the city. But I gotta say--I'm loving it here!

Old 05-08-2014, 06:47 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,802,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
yeah everyone who loves philadelphia.....lives in center city where you have to be a rich professional to afford it.
Completely false. I love Philadelphia and I live in Manayunk, not Center City.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:53 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,802,934 times
Quote:
People say the exact same thing about Bridesburg ... The Irishman from Fishtown doing stucco work for me said it yesterday as a matter of fact.
I picked up some bonfire wood for free of Craigslist last weekend, and was unloading it into my house. I live on a one-way street that allows street parking, so usually I just park in front of my door, block the street for a few minutes, unload, and then go find parking. I had an entire trunk full of wood and I was just trying to get it into the house as quickly as possible. Of course, a car comes down the street and they were irritated that I was blocking them, but it was obvious what I was doing.

2 girls get out of the car and ask me - "Can we help you unload the wood? Figure we can sit here and be mad that you're in our way or we can help you unload it and make it go faster."

How awesome?? I said yes of course, and they helped me unload everything and then went on their merry way. This has pretty much been the norm of my experience in Manayunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia