U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 07:57 AM

1,567 posts, read 2,663,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
yeah everyone who loves philadelphia.....lives in center city where you have to be a rich professional to afford it.
Nope. I live in West Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 08:22 AM

11,942 posts, read 10,818,746 times
Quote:
yeah everyone who loves philadelphia.....lives in center city where you have to be a rich professional to afford it.
I may be a rich professional that loves Philly haha....but I live in Germantown.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:07 AM

175 posts, read 241,725 times
I love Philadelphia and cantwait to move there. But not Center City. Im moving to Mt Airy or Chestnut Hill. One of the great things about the city is you DONT have to be super rich to have a good quality of life and enjoy all it has to offer compared to every other major city on the east coast.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:43 AM

10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
It always saddens me when I travel and talk to people that have never really been to the city and still think of Killadelphia, or think we are going by way of Detroit.
Hopefully you do try to prove to them how wrong they are.
There are plenty of ways to do that without overwhelming them with online information.

Someone else remarked about how a lot of Philadelphia natives have deep roots here and never leave. My family is a definite example of that. All four of my grandparents came here in 1915. Most of my family is still here.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:48 AM

5,292 posts, read 5,843,522 times
I love Philly more than my own city.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:02 AM

11,942 posts, read 10,818,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylistvg View Post
I love Philadelphia and cantwait to move there. But not Center City. Im moving to Mt Airy or Chestnut Hill. One of the great things about the city is you DONT have to be super rich to have a good quality of life and enjoy all it has to offer compared to every other major city on the east coast.
Haha true, maybe I just feel rich living here after paying more in rent for my shared room in NYC than I now pay for my mortgage on my home.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:10 AM

221 posts, read 320,472 times
Quote:
I live in the Northeast, and I'm not rich, and I still love Philly

Old 05-08-2014, 10:23 AM

8,702 posts, read 12,373,638 times
Quote:
Such a ridiculous assessment and you know it.

I myself live in Center City, and I have friends who live in Center City, and of course we all love it here. However, I have friends who live everywhere:

Friends in South Philly- love it
Friends in Fairmount- love it
Friends in NoLibs- love it
Friends in Fishtown- love it
Friends in University City- love it
Friends in West Philly neighborhoods outside of UCity- love it
Friends in Manayunk- love it
Friends who are still attending Temple and living by campus- love it
Friends in Northeast Philly- love it
Friends and family in the Burbs (Delco, Montco, Bucks)- love Philly
Friends and family in New Jersey- love Philly

Your statement was ridiculous. I don't think I've ever met a person who has ACTUALLY been to Philly who does not like it. The only people I come across who don't like Philly have either A. never been here, or B. haven't been here in 10-15+ years.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:23 AM

22,632 posts, read 12,789,064 times
Quote:
Not true. I live in a 120 year old semi-detached "twin" in University City and I'm employed in a blue collar job that requires me to wear a uniform.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:27 PM

35 posts, read 45,164 times
I am considering a move to Philly but am also drawn to Boston. I have always just heard that crime is so bad in Philadelphia and as a young, single woman who won't own a car (lots of walking, biking, and public transport use) it makes me a little nervous! However, you all have such nice things to say about it!

Anyone have any thoughts about safety in the city and how it might compare to Boston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia