U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 12:36 PM

2,377 posts, read 2,695,391 times

Advertisements

I'd rather the police let a few bad guys go through the cracks if it means I can see them as a friend instead of an enemy. In too many parts of the US the police prey on the average person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 12:52 PM

10,026 posts, read 14,474,108 times
during the city planning process they did identify "gateways" like the one you mentioned, broad and olney is another one. unlike acive refineries, broad and olney can be fixed by proper policing and trash collection. if you don't want to visit a place because you saw refineries on the way in from the airport, then good riddance

Old 05-12-2014, 02:19 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
during the city planning process they did identify "gateways" like the one you mentioned, broad and olney is another one. unlike acive refineries, broad and olney can be fixed by proper policing and trash collection. if you don't want to visit a place because you saw refineries on the way in from the airport, then good riddance
Don't be daft. You only have one chance to make a good first impression on people. You jump off the plane and here is what awaits as you exit PHL. Swampland,junkyards,massive stinking sewage treatment plant with 30 foot piles of steaming human waste in plain view,labyrinth of rusted infrastructure from the gas industry, Mt Metal,billboard blight as far as the eye can see,the Point Breeze/Greys Ferry ghetto.

Open your eyes dude. Its a disaster area and needs a couple hundred million dollars of aesthetical and infrastructure improvements. Think they are using the same guardrails and highway signs from 75 years ago on 95-76.

Drive thru Wilmington and 95 looks classy, clean, as if the people care about their city. 95 thru Philly looks like 75 years of abuse and neglect.

Take a good hard look at the Broad Street exit at 95.It looks like some ragtown in the middle of Missouri.It is a disgrace. The corporations that reside at that exit Comcast,Wells Fargo,Citizens Bank,Lincoln Financial,Jeffrey Lurie,Ed Snider,Joshua Harris,John Middleton Jr. Guys can you spend $10,000 to provide a half decent appearance. How about some paint to hide over the graffiti ? How bout a landscape crew cutting down the 30' year old weed trees and picking up trash?

Old 05-12-2014, 02:33 PM

3,260 posts, read 4,877,400 times
Once the I-95 interchange is complete, and 95 actually, finally, becomes a road that connects NYC, DC and Philly (instead of having the NJ-Turnpike act as the "Philadelphia bypass" between NY and Wilmington), it would be a good move for Philly to invest some money in prettying up the corridor.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:55 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Once the I-95 interchange is complete, and 95 actually, finally, becomes a road that connects NYC, DC and Philly (instead of having the NJ-Turnpike act as the "Philadelphia bypass" between NY and Wilmington), it would be a good move for Philly to invest some money in prettying up the corridor.

From my experiences down in Newark De, Id say 90-95% of the NYC-DC traffic uses the NJ Turnpike(495) and bypasses 95.

Now there is simply no way that PA could/can handle the NYC-DC traffic anyway .Much of the day -especially the rush hour jams- I-95 is a parking lot with just the local traffic. 95 is a disaster.

A better idea would have been to connect the PA turnpike with 95 somehere in Chester County. Like run an extension from Exton down to Christiana to divert people into PA before the split at the Del Memorial Bridge. I dont think anyone can estimate the enormous economic impact that the NJ Turnpike had on NJ. That highway is lined 80 miles with corporate,industrial parks that has created affluent town after town, . With proper planning back in the day that could have been PA's growth.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Don't be daft. You only have one chance to make a good first impression on people. You jump off the plane and here is what awaits as you exit PHL. Swampland,junkyards,massive stinking sewage treatment plant with 30 foot piles of steaming human waste in plain view,labyrinth of rusted infrastructure from the gas industry, Mt Metal,billboard blight as far as the eye can see,the Point Breeze/Greys Ferry ghetto.

Open your eyes dude. Its a disaster area and needs a couple hundred million dollars of aesthetical and infrastructure improvements. Think they are using the same guardrails and highway signs from 75 years ago on 95-76.

Drive thru Wilmington and 95 looks classy, clean, as if the people care about their city. 95 thru Philly looks like 75 years of abuse and neglect.

It is you who is being daft, many cities around the world don't have the most attractive airport gateways. If anyone needs to open their eyes it's you, a couple of hundred million dollars to make your drive aesthetically pleasing? talk about a complete waste of money. meanwhile, for far less, you can improve gateways of people who travel to your city frequently and make that decision of whether to go and spend money on a weekly basis. if an international travellers says "man, did you see that refinery on the way into the city? I'm never going back even though I had a wonderful time" then they are moronic. wilmington is a dump with a crime rate as high as chester, whatever they're doing, it's not working. oddly, the best parts of wilmington are the neighborhoods they didn't destroy like 40 acres and trolley square.

Quote:
Take a good hard look at the Broad Street exit at 95.It looks like some ragtown in the middle of Missouri.It is a disgrace. The corporations that reside at that exit Comcast,Wells Fargo,Citizens Bank,Lincoln Financial,Jeffrey Lurie,Ed Snider,Joshua Harris,John Middleton Jr. Guys can you spend $10,000 to provide a half decent appearance. How about some paint to hide over the graffiti ? How bout a landscape crew cutting down the 30' year old weed trees and picking up trash?
I agree with this and it's the same on the northern end. these are the small, affordable things that are worthwhile. simply being more clean, not just at gateways, but all over would be a huge step forward whether it be street or sidewalk cleaning. basic city services the city doesnt provide.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
From my experiences down in Newark De, Id say 90-95% of the NYC-DC traffic uses the NJ Turnpike(495) and bypasses 95.

Now there is simply no way that PA could/can handle the NYC-DC traffic anyway .Much of the day -especially the rush hour jams- I-95 is a parking lot with just the local traffic. 95 is a disaster.

A better idea would have been to connect the PA turnpike with 95 somehere in Chester County. Like run an extension from Exton down to Christiana to divert people into PA before the split at the Del Memorial Bridge. I dont think anyone can estimate the enormous economic impact that the NJ Turnpike had on NJ. That highway is lined 80 miles with corporate,industrial parks that has created affluent town after town, . With proper planning back in the day that could have been PA's growth.
so building a new highway between exton and christiana is going to create affluent town after affluent town? isn't that area already affluent and doesn't it already have a highway (202)? the NJ engine runs off of NY, not the fact there's a turnpike. if that highway connected you to atlantic city instead do you think it would be as successful? today the turnpike is mired in debt and NJ is bleeding jobs, perhaps the days of giant highway building is done.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
But the turnpike IS 95 from exit 7A on. 95 southbound out of NYC (which is the turnpike) just doesn't connect to 95 northbound out of Philly. If you take 95 north from Philly, you run into limbo around Trenton and then have to backtrack or take surface roads to get to the NJ Turnpike.

Someone coming southbound on 95 from NYC will generally take the turnpike (which is 95 at that point), and unless they are specifically going to Philly, they stay on the turnpike all the way to the end (or jump onto 295 to save a little on tolls), and in either case go across the Del. Memorial Bridge into DE without ever touching Philly. That's the Philadelphia bypass.

If you currently get off the NJ turnpike to get to the PA Turnpike at exit 6, you'll cross over 95 coming north out of Philly but there is inexplicably* no exit. That's what's going to change.

(*I am talking about logic & efficiency here, not explanations that have to do with NIMBYism and local politics.)

Old 05-12-2014, 05:00 PM

22,381 posts, read 33,159,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
But the turnpike IS 95 from exit 7A on. 95 southbound out of NYC (which is the turnpike) just doesn't connect to 95 northbound out of Philly. If you take 95 north from Philly, you run into limbo around Trenton and then have to backtrack or take surface roads to get to the NJ Turnpike.

Someone coming southbound on 95 from NYC will generally take the turnpike (which is 95 at that point), and unless they are specifically going to Philly, they stay on the turnpike all the way to the end (or jump onto 295 to save a little on tolls), and in either case go across the Del. Memorial Bridge into DE without ever touching Philly. That's the Philadelphia bypass.

If you currently get off the NJ turnpike to get to the PA Turnpike at exit 6, you'll cross over 95 coming north out of Philly but there is inexplicably* no exit. That's what's going to change.

(*I am talking about logic & efficiency here, not explanations that have to do with NIMBYism and local politics.)
exit 4 to 73 to 90 to the Betsy will still be quicker than 6 to the new 95 interchange - which should have been built years ago

Old 05-12-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
exit 4 to 73 to 90 to the Betsy will still be quicker than 6 to the new 95 interchange - which should have been built years ago
I'm not so sure about that. But in any case you're talking about just one of the weird indirect routes you have to take to drive between the two largest cities on the East coast which are 90 miles apart.
No one going from NYC to Wilmington, Baltimore, DC or points south is going to go out of their way to take weird detours though South Jersey. They'll want to stay on the main road, which is 95.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia