Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2014, 08:43 AM

29 posts, read 37,643 times

Advertisements

Hi
I saw your moving to the area sticky and here is my question...
My family of 4 is looking into areas in PA. My husband is considering a job in west point PA.
What surrounding neighborhoods would you suggest looking into We would be looking at single family homes (for probably around 700 - give or take) in a family friendly community, with lots of professionals and a reasonable driving distance.

We are coming from Long Island NY and have not yet been to the area.
We are looking for a place with great public schools
Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Last edited by DCO96; 05-06-2014 at 08:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 02:50 PM

316 posts, read 1,015,623 times
Look into Blue Bell, North Wales, Upper Gwynedd, Lower Gwynedd, Chalfont, Ambler, and Upper Dublin. All are very nice areas with great school districts not far from where your husband would be working.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:37 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,483,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineFlower View Post
Look into Blue Bell, North Wales, Upper Gwynedd, Lower Gwynedd, Chalfont, Ambler, and Upper Dublin. All are very nice areas with great school districts not far from where your husband would be working.

Pretty much this. That whole general area is pretty nice so just look around and see what you like. You should not have to commute far to work in West Point. You also don't have to spend $700k for a nice, large home (although you certainly can). It should be significantly cheaper than LI.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:04 PM

29 posts, read 37,643 times
Thank you both so very much.
Yes, no matter where I go it will be cheaper than LI. Thats the good news.
If you had to pick the best places that maybe have nice places to go which of these would you choose?
Blue Bell, North Wales, Upper Gwynedd, Lower Gwynedd, Chalfont, Ambler, and Upper Dublin.

Are these considered in the "main line" Im gathering that is the place to be?

Old 05-06-2014, 09:08 PM

126 posts, read 203,542 times
Those are all very nice areas but not the main line. You'll probably get more for your money in those areas though but you could definitely still get a nice house on the main line for 700k. Some main line towns are Bryn Mawr, Merion Station, Penn Valley, Wayne. If you google philadelphia main line a list should come up. But, basically for the main line if you search by school districts you want anything in lower merion, radnor, or TE.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:37 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,483,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCO96 View Post
Thank you both so very much.
Yes, no matter where I go it will be cheaper than LI. Thats the good news.
If you had to pick the best places that maybe have nice places to go which of these would you choose?
Blue Bell, North Wales, Upper Gwynedd, Lower Gwynedd, Chalfont, Ambler, and Upper Dublin.

Are these considered in the "main line" Im gathering that is the place to be?
There is no "place to be" in the philadelphia suburbs, because there are so many good areas.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:39 PM

3 posts, read 4,027 times
Wissahickon and Upper Dublin School district are among the best of Montgomery County. New Hope-Solebury and Central Bucks are also great options in Bucks County. Radnor and Tredyffrin school district are highly rated as well.

Moderator Cut: Please review the Terms of Service regarding realtor participation.

Last edited by FindingZen; 05-13-2014 at 05:42 AM..

Old 05-14-2014, 02:33 PM

130 posts, read 316,973 times
Wissahickon is a great school district. Ambler is a charming town. I suggest you come and visit different areas to get an idea of what the communities offer. There are many activities, parks, bike trails, shopping areas etc. Research a lot. Look into programs at schools to see which programs offered there suit your kids best. The main line is nice and you get your charming town with awesome school districts. You would need take the train to the Lansdale area if you lived there though. With that price range you can get gorgeous homes. Pa taxes are better than NY and NJ generally. Message me for any more info. if you need to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia