U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2014, 01:57 PM

8,048 posts, read 18,476,341 times

Advertisements

While I support unions in principle, I feel that Philly trade unions that work at the Convention Center have shaped their work rules such that it has made putting on shows a cumbersome experience for some organizations and therefore kept the Convention Center from reaching its potential. I think this new deal will benefit both trade unions and convention management in the long run.

New Convention Center rules divide unions

Last edited by FindingZen; 05-07-2014 at 06:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 02:01 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,968,132 times
Unions are a cancer to the city, and to our society in general. I'm glad the convention center finally put these thugs in their place. Definitely a positive development for the city.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:47 PM

3,260 posts, read 4,880,424 times
This will help make the convention center more competitive with other convention centers, which I guess is good.
But ultimately, busting the unions won't likely make the convention business start booming. The number of conventions nationwide has been dropping steadily since the mid-90's, which is much more likely to be an effect of the emergence of the internet than anything like cancerous union malfeasance.
It's an unfortunate coincidence that the beginning of that decline happened right around when the PACC was first built...and more unfortunate that the mistake was then compounded by demolishing even more prime blocks in the core of the city for a $700million expansion to Broad Street. But I digress...

Anyone else miss the Civic Center?

Old 05-07-2014, 07:14 PM

1,567 posts, read 2,664,586 times
I also strongly support unions in theory, but Philly's unions have made me doubt myself on more than one occasion. This is great news for the city.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:24 PM

15,338 posts, read 10,557,160 times
Do carpenters and plumbers really need a union to find work in Philly?Seems to me the number of pipes burst are unrelated to union membership. I don't get it.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Do carpenters and plumbers really need a union to find work in Philly?Seems to me the number of pipes burst are unrelated to union membership. I don't get it.
No, they don't. But they DO need unions to extort money out of the government, taxpayers, and legitimate business owners. You can't afford to hire your own personal goons, or get legal protection against threats and violence, when you're not in a union.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Unions are a cancer to the city, and to our society in general. I'm glad the convention center finally put these thugs in their place. Definitely a positive development for the city.
Well, I would hope that we would all agree that unions in general improved the quality of working conditions for members and non-members as well as the quality of life for innumerable communities over much of the last century.

That said, there can be an argument made that some unions have outlived their usefulness and, not unlike the Philly trade unions to this point, tend to overreach. At least trade labor is a resource that can't be offshored.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Well, I would hope that we would all agree that unions in general improved the quality of working conditions for members and non-members as well as the quality of life for innumerable communities over much of the last century.

That said, there can be an argument made that some unions have outlived their usefulness and, not unlike the Philly trade unions to this point, tend to overreach. At least trade labor is a resource that can't be offshored.
Sure, a hundred years ago they had a role. Today, they serve no purpose other than to make their bosses rich, make taxes higher, and move jobs away.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Sure, a hundred years ago they had a role. Today, they serve no purpose other than to make their bosses rich, make taxes higher, and move jobs away.
We will have to agree to disagree on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or