U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2007, 11:26 PM

12 posts, read 58,975 times

Advertisements

I need so much. Any bit would help.
this is my situation.
I might to taking a job at Temple university hospital and i know nothing about the area. I am married but no kids . My wife is a paralegal. These are my questions.
1) nice place to live. Like everybody else
2) areas that my wife could look for a job.
3) should we live in NJ and commute. (do not prefer a car) and if so where?
4) how is the area around temple uni hospital?
that is all i could think of but please feel free to tell me more

thank you all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 05:28 AM

2,189 posts, read 6,851,982 times
I posted this response to another thread (but since you did not put your price range for an apt., it's hard to answer My response was based on paying in the area of $1,300 a month:

"I suggest you look in Washington Square West. It's in center city, close to the Broad Street subway line (which will take your husband to Broad and Erie (in about 15 minutes). You are better off without a car, since parking is very expensive. Supermarkets and The Reading Terminal Market are within walking distance. Rittenhouse Square is also a good choice and also convenient, but you will probably find something more in your price range in Washington Square West. I suggest that you check craigslist for apartments in both locations, but either one would be just fine."

As far as your wife finding a paralegal job, there are many law firms and offices in center city, so she will be able to walk to work. The area around Temple is not good. And center city would be much more convenient than New Jersey.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:09 AM

468 posts, read 2,167,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fb1907 View Post
I need so much. Any bit would help.
this is my situation.
I might to taking a job at Temple university hospital and i know nothing about the area. I am married but no kids . My wife is a paralegal. These are my questions.
1) nice place to live. Like everybody else
2) areas that my wife could look for a job.
3) should we live in NJ and commute. (do not prefer a car) and if so where?
4) how is the area around temple uni hospital?
that is all i could think of but please feel free to tell me more

thank you all
The thread called "Downtown Philly Where to Live" asks the same question about where to live to go to Temple Hospital. See that thread for answers to most of your questions. But for 3 and 4:

Commuting from South Jersey via PATCO would require a change of trains and not be very convenient, but not the worst thing in the world. You could look into Collingswood and Haddonfield if you did want to live in NJ for some reason. I don't see why though, unless you have kids in school, which you say you don't.

Temple Hospital is in North Philly, most of which is a low-income area with a high crime rate. After dark, there's not much open other than bodegas to buy 40 oz of malt liquor. It's cheap, but other than that there'd be no reason to live there.

Temple's main campus is a little further south in North Philly as well. It has a new movie theater and a couple bars and restaurants that cater to university-affiliated people, so if you must live in North Philly it'd be better to live there, which is only like a 4 minute subway ride from the Hospital. But still, it gets kind of desolate after dark. You should probably just look into somewhere closer to/in Center City that's convenient to the Broad Street Line. It's safer and has more things to do after dark.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:34 PM

anybody else?

Old 02-07-2008, 04:38 PM

3,485 posts, read 8,317,526 times
I concur with the idea of living in Center City near the Broad Street Line; that's your best bet if you can afford it. If you DON'T live in Center City, for convenience sake it would probably be better to live in Pennsylvania along one of the Regional Rail lines north of the city that connects with the Broad Street Line at Fern Rock Station, or to live along the R5 (or in Media along the R3) west of Philadelphia and transfer to the Broad Street Line at Suburban Station.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:15 PM

I have looked at apts. in center city and found few that we liked. $1010 for a 1 br loft with parking space at 1700 n 5th between west montgomery and cecil b mooore. does anyone have an idea about the area. it seems like industrial. is it safe at night? I guess the area is considered northern liberties.

I might have to look outside of the city but is it worth it for both me and my wife to commute to center city? and how about areas like swarthmore, media, abington and elkins park. if i have to drive from these locations and my wife will have a hard time commuting.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:43 PM

47 posts, read 254,671 times
I'm a Temple med student. The location of the hospital pretty much requires you to commute unfortunately. I'd say the great majority of my classmates live slightly north of the hospital in Manayunk, Roxborough, Mount Airy, East Falls or Germantown. It's 15-30 minutes by car (depending how far out) and relatively inexpensive to rent.

Without a car, as I posted in the other thread I really second NewMarlig's suggestion of Washington Square West, or at least someplace by the Broad St. line. It's by far the fastest and easiest way.

You could theoretically commute from South Jersey by public transit if you live by a PATCO station (Collingswood would be the best bet I think, Haddonfield's nicer but more expensive). You'd either connect at 8th and Market with the Broad-Ridge Spur line to Erie, or get off at 13-15th and Locust and walk to the Walnut Locust BSL stop. I personally don't think it'd really be worth it though compared to already being *in* Center City. And it's harder to go carless over there for things like supplies, groceries etc.

Living in the Main Line would add a lot of time to the commute by car I think, especially if you're forced to take the 76 (to be avoided as much as possible!) You could live by a regional rail stop, but again not really worth it IMO.

The apartment you saw at 5th and Cecil is relatively close to the main campus of Temple, but not the hospital. I suspect it would be sketchy at night, but I can't say for sure. If you're going for the city though, I personally wouldn't look north of Fairmount St. And for convenience you'll want to be closer to Broad (which=14th St) than 5th St. The Art Museum area would be a better place to check out if you want someplace quieter (and with bigger apartments) than Wash West/Rittenhouse.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or