U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 07:31 PM

183 posts, read 575,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirancs8 View Post
Just a question. Why is everyone always focusing on West Chester? There are some really great areas else where that are closer to the city as well.

It's as if all the other communities get lost in the suffle over come with "West Chester."
Have you been to West Chester lately?? We discovered it last year when our daughter enrolled at WCU. It just has many of the things people look for when they relocate here, including diversity, affordable housing, and a great arts/entertainment center downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 09:31 AM

8,337 posts, read 26,828,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
For diversity I would check out ultra liberal Wallingford/Swarthmore and very tolerant Media next door.
These areas look nice, but what I am seeing it doesn't look like <500k is going to cut it in those areas. My guess is that as a techie I would probably be working in a suburban office park / tech center area , not the finance center (which is usually in the center city). Someone mentioned King of Prussia and Valley Forge as those type of areas?

Also, fear of natural disasters is not something that I would consider as a benefit from leaving CA. People outside of CA generally fear CA's natural disasters much more than it's residents

Last edited by Sassberto; 08-20-2008 at 09:49 AM..

Old 08-20-2008, 10:42 AM

8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Yep, King of Prussia/Valley Forge is the major job center outside of town if not the entire metro. There are other significant office parks in Plymouth Meeting, Fort Washington and Horsham. Be warned that none of these areas are exactly entertainment hubs but the mall districts in KOP and Plymouth Meeting can keep things somewhat interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
These areas look nice, but what I am seeing it doesn't look like <500k is going to cut it in those areas. My guess is that as a techie I would probably be working in a suburban office park / tech center area , not the finance center (which is usually in the center city). Someone mentioned King of Prussia and Valley Forge as those type of areas?

Also, fear of natural disasters is not something that I would consider as a benefit from leaving CA. People outside of CA generally fear CA's natural disasters much more than it's residents

Old 08-20-2008, 12:25 PM

1,623 posts, read 5,965,113 times
"These areas look nice, but what I am seeing it doesn't look like <500k is going to cut it in those areas."

Unless you want a 2500-3000 sq ft house on an acre of land, yes it will. Taxes are high but its a great area. And Media next door is more affordable and just as nice with a walkable downtown.

And you can work for an accountant or consultancy, law office, I think Glaxo is still in the city, Rohm & Haas; Wilmington is close by and full of bank headquarters and AstraZeneca...

Old 08-20-2008, 01:25 PM

65 posts, read 256,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post

Sassberto, maybe you can check out the Great Valley/Route 202 Corridor area. These areas have a lot of technology companies, and the surrounding suburbs are great.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:11 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,534,953 times
I always encourage people to look up the 422 corridor as well if you are willing to live just a bit further from the city (really it's NOT that far at all). I lived in Upper Providence and I was pleasantly surprised by the diversity there, and in the Phoenixville area. My sons daycare was a great mix of white, black, indian, asian, Hispanic...I think the huge Pharmaceutical companies based in Upper Prov. bring in a lot of tech jobs to the area and a bonus is they keep the taxes very low. Schools are good there too!

Old 08-21-2008, 08:35 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,301,861 times
downtown (the "financial" district within Center City) isn't all finance. Comcast and Verizon have a whole lot of employees downtown and are both tech heavy. The area along 15th St. north of Vine St. is also growing in the regard as is the Market St. corridor between 30th & 40th.

Center City, University City and downtown Camden have 20% of the jobs in the region. The suburban clusters might be more specialized but they certainly don't have a monopoly on opportunities in any field.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
downtown (the &quot;financial&quot; district within Center City) isn't all finance. Comcast and Verizon have a whole lot of employees downtown and are both tech heavy. The area along 15th St. north of Vine St. is also growing in the regard as is the Market St. corridor between 30th & 40th.

Center City, University City and downtown Camden have 20% of the jobs in the region. The suburban clusters might be more specialized but they certainly don't have a monopoly on opportunities in any field.
There are also a decent number of law firms in Center City.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:24 PM

8,337 posts, read 26,828,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Police View Post
There are also a decent number of law firms in Center City.
Right, so just to clarify I absolutely would not be working for a law firm and would not want to work for a bank, insurance company or telco if I could avoid it. I'm not into corporate IT, rather I tend to focus more on smaller, high-tech industry, i.e. startups, internet, software product and services, or established large tech players (consultancies too) that don't typically situate themselves in a major urban downtowns as they need smaller but modern facilities and tend to locate closer to their suburban workforces. I wasn't aware of a large Biotech / Pharma presence in that area, I will have to do some homework on that. This is a concern I have about the northeast in general, with the exception of Boston most northeastern cities do not have a reputation for having high-tech clusters.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:33 PM

Sassberto, what made you move from Long Island to San Diego (just curious)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia