Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 09:36 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Police View Post
Sassberto, what made you move from Long Island to San Diego (just curious)?
I hated Long Island growing up. I moved away the day I turned 18. I enjoy it now as an adult, but would still not want to live there - people there are just too closed minded and too stuck in the past with the same old hangups. I worry about that even when considering to move back anywhere on the east coast.

California always represented the freedom to make my own way, now that I've made it... i realize I can barely afford to!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 10:54 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,528,196 times
It seems tech companies are spread out all over the place. I would first look at what area I'd like to live in, then find a job close by rather than vice versa...

Beyond.com, Inc. is Top Technology Company in Deloitte's 2007 Greater Philadelphia Technology Fast 50 With 6,099 Percent Revenue Growth

"In addition to Beyond.com, Inc., the top four are technology companies including: AirClic, Inc., Newtown, PA, AppLabs, Inc., Philadelphia, PA and last year's #1, I-trax, Inc., Chadds Ford, PA. Rounding out the top five is the highest ranking life sciences company, Exton, PA-based ViroPharma Incorporated.

The life sciences companies on this year's Fast 50 list are shining examples of how the pharmaceutical and bio-tech industries continue to drive economic growth in the region and how their presence supports many other local industries," said Fast 50 co-leader R. Terry Hisey, Vice Chairman, Life Sciences, Deloitte & Touche USA LLP."

Old 08-21-2008, 10:57 PM

65 posts, read 281,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
It seems tech companies are spread out all over the place. I would first look at what area I'd like to live in, then find a job close by rather than vice versa...

Beyond.com, Inc. is Top Technology Company in Deloitte's 2007 Greater Philadelphia Technology Fast 50 With 6,099 Percent Revenue Growth

"In addition to Beyond.com, Inc., the top four are technology companies including: AirClic, Inc., Newtown, PA, AppLabs, Inc., Philadelphia, PA and last year's #1, I-trax, Inc., Chadds Ford, PA. Rounding out the top five is the highest ranking life sciences company, Exton, PA-based ViroPharma Incorporated.

The life sciences companies on this year's Fast 50 list are shining examples of how the pharmaceutical and bio-tech industries continue to drive economic growth in the region and how their presence supports many other local industries," said Fast 50 co-leader R. Terry Hisey, Vice Chairman, Life Sciences, Deloitte & Touche USA LLP."
What about the Great Valley/Route 202 Corridor area?

Old 08-21-2008, 11:11 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,528,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Police View Post
What about the Great Valley/Route 202 Corridor area?
Oh I'm not saying they aren't there. It just seems like the OP has already formed an incorrect opinion about the area. I'm just trying to enlighten him as to the widespread nature of companies that use or specialize in technology...

Old 08-22-2008, 08:24 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
Oh I'm not saying they aren't there. It just seems like the OP has already formed an incorrect opinion about the area. I'm just trying to enlighten him as to the widespread nature of companies that use or specialize in technology...
Ok excellent info here. I will definitely look into it further.

There is the issue of the city of Philly's income taxes - I would probably be seeking to avoid working there if possible. Remember I am in CA which has a nearly 10% income tax rate for high income earners... definitely want to do better on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia