Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-12-2014, 07:25 AM
 
12 posts, read 28,775 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Considering moving to Western half of Lower Merion. Looking for best rated schools. Can anyone comment on Gladwyne, Villanova, Haverford and Bryn Mawr? Which is best? (We have 2 kids ages 3 and 6).
Many thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-12-2014, 07:46 AM
 
Location: North by Northwest
9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Reputation: 6183
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherNY View Post
Considering moving to Western half of Lower Merion. Looking for best rated schools. Can anyone comment on Gladwyne, Villanova, Haverford and Bryn Mawr? Which is best? (We have 2 kids ages 3 and 6).
Many thanks in advance.
Lower Merion is a distinct school district and is among the very best in the state.

Note that parts of the Villanova and Bryn Mawr zip codes extend into Radnor, which is essentially just as good (usually ranked slightly higher due to somewhat less socioeconomic diversity).

Parts of the Bryn Mawr and Haverford zip codes extend into Haverford Township. The school district isn't bad, and a bright, motivated student shouldn't have issues succeeding. However, Haverford Township may not be the best choice for you for reasons I've mentioned before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2014, 08:22 AM
 
Location: Philly
10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Reputation: 2973
by best you mean least economically diverse presumably. theyre all good schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2014, 08:33 AM
 
12 posts, read 28,775 times
Reputation: 11
My research shows that Radnor (probably due to the fact that it is in Wayne?) has less then 1% Jewish population. It's closest in proximity to West Chester of all the above mentioned, but I want to stick with the 5% and higher poulations.
Yes, I have noted your comment on Haverford, many thanks for that. Villanova and Bryn Mawr also seams to be less than 1%.
I'm guessing Wynnewood, Bala Cynwyd, and Narberth, Gladwyne, Layfette Hill, Plymoth Meeting are best to consider since the schools are either Lower Merion or Colonial and the Jewish populations seems to be over 5%, yes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2014, 08:33 AM
 
Location: back in Philadelphia!
3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times
Reputation: 2146
Your kids would have good options in all of those districts. You know your kids, so maybe visit some schools and see what might be the best fit for them, as "ratings" don't tell the whole story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2014, 08:56 AM
 
Location: North by Northwest
9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Reputation: 6183
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherNY View Post
My research shows that Radnor (probably due to the fact that it is in Wayne?) has less then 1% Jewish population. It's closest in proximity to West Chester of all the above mentioned, but I want to stick with the 5% and higher poulations.
Yes, I have noted your comment on Haverford, many thanks for that. Villanova and Bryn Mawr also seams to be less than 1%.
I'm guessing Wynnewood, Bala Cynwyd, and Narberth, Gladwyne, Layfette Hill, Plymoth Meeting are best to consider since the schools are either Lower Merion or Colonial and the Jewish populations seems to be over 5%, yes?
You're incorrect about Radnor. I assume you're basing your information on Sperling's BestPlaces, or some similar website, which uses information that's static across individual counties (and information that's often incorrect in the first place). Trust me, Radnor is ~10%; LM is 25-30% (Wynnewood, Villanova and the nice parts of Bryn Mawr/Rosemont being no exception; the borough of Narberth [a separate municipality that feeds into LM schools] is ~10%, while the rest of the 19072 zip code [Penn Valley] is perhaps 40%); and Colonial is a bit more than 10% but not quite 15%, with Whitemarsh Township (Lafayette Hill especially) being the main concentration of the District's Jewish population.

Either would be just fine for a Jewish family looking for good public schools. The rest is up to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2014, 09:00 AM
 
12 posts, read 28,775 times
Reputation: 11
Actually diversity would be great. By best, I mean best test scores, best percentage moving on to good colleges, best teachers, etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2014, 09:05 AM
 
12 posts, read 28,775 times
Reputation: 11
@rotodome- yes, I agree about the ratings. A visit is a must. Many thanks.
@Heavenwood - you have been EXTREMELY helpful. Where do you recommend I find the correct percentages without bothering you again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2014, 09:07 AM
 
Location: North by Northwest
9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Reputation: 6183
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherNY View Post
Actually diversity would be great. By best, I mean best test scores, best percentage moving on to good colleges, best teachers, etc..
All three districts are ~80/20 white/minority, with Radnor having a somewhat heavier Asian population. Socioeconomically speaking, from most diverse to least, it goes Colonial > LM > Radnor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2014, 09:11 AM
 
Location: North by Northwest
9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Reputation: 6183
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherNY View Post
@rotodome- yes, I agree about the ratings. A visit is a must. Many thanks.
@Heavenwood - you have been EXTREMELY helpful. Where do you recommend I find the correct percentages without bothering you again?
There really isn't any place online where reliable %age breakdowns for the Philly Area can be found. My estimates are based on number crunching (reported Russian ancestry correlates extremely closely with an area's Jewish population) tempered slightly by personal knowledge/experience. Feel free to keep asking me questions and I'll continue to try to help you to the best of my ability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top