U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 09:09 AM

299 posts, read 802,002 times

Advertisements

I moved into Drexel Hill/Lansdowne area from South Philly back in July. Around August, all these nuts (acorns, maybe) and branches started falling onto my deck, roof, and backyard.

in september and november, it was ridiculous. I would sweep and rake one day, and the next day my deck and backyard is 25% covered in nuts, leaves, and branches.

Now what exactly are the rules concerning this? My neighbor's tree is right next to the fence on the neighbor's side. when i look at the tree from the side, it actually looks like the tree is slightly leaning away from the neighbor and towards my house.

I don't want any trees falling on my house, or termites from fallen branches, or a littered deck and backyard during the summertime. What can i do??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 03:02 PM

823 posts, read 3,421,580 times
Here in NY if a neighbor's tree hangs over on to your property you can cut any of the offending branches off. We and our neighbors do it all of the time.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:35 AM

12,768 posts, read 28,914,075 times
I would suggest you talk to your neighbor and explain that you would like to cut off a few limbs. You could add that perhaps he would rather do it himself so you don't harm the tree. This is one reason it's good to become friends with your neighbors -it's much easier to discuss things like that with friends. Communication is key.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:11 AM

33,076 posts, read 61,908,019 times
A branch that hangs over your side of the property line is yours to deal with as you see fit, but only as far as it hangs over the property line. You certainly would want to discuss it with your neighbors first. They might prefer to do it themselves.

There's nothing you can do about the entire tree, though, except enjoy the shade it provides. Don't forget that some of your neighbors are sweeping up debris and leaves from your trees as well.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:43 PM

299 posts, read 802,002 times
anyone know any websites where i'd be able to find out this information?

Old 06-20-2008, 06:43 AM

14 posts, read 125,206 times
in Pa the portion of the tree that hangs on your property is yours. The portion of the tree on his property is his.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:52 AM

14 posts, read 125,206 times
You have obviously never been to derxil hill nor understand the people there. No one will care or do anything but get mad at the audacity of the suggestion.

You could ask your local township about what you can do. However, sometime times twonships will not want any portion of the tree cut because of enviromentalist concerns. However, if this is the case, just remember that most township officials in eastern Pa rant and rave but have no idea of what they are talking about.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:28 AM

41,048 posts, read 42,800,388 times
The law in general is as stated by others you can cut the tree if it overhangs your property BUT be sure to check that no local ordinances supersede it. In our town any tree on the tree lawn basically has to be falling down before you can do anything about no matter who's property it is on.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:08 AM

9,237 posts, read 19,615,672 times
First I have to say, Welcome to the suburbs! We do have trees out here, some big.

The other poster was correct that in PA you "own" any part of the tree hanging over your property line (think of your fence extending up into the sky).

Though having a decent relationship with your neighbors is important. Life will be miserable for both of you if you get into a feud over this.

I would ask him if he minded if I cut some of the branches that hung onto my property, before doing it. My neighbor asked about cutting a big branck from my tree that was right over his roof, and I was kind enought o split the cost with him becasue he was nice about it.

OTOH, another neighbor once cut a lot of my beautiful weeping cherry, and actually went into my property to cut branches on MY side. I was quite unhappy, and I'm releived that they moved away. The poor tree is still lopsided.

You really shouldn't worry about acorns in your yard. You should see my oak-filled neighborhood! Besides the squirrels take them all away after a while. The only thing to worry about would be a branch that looks dead or diseased (like if the leaves are all brown, or there are no leaves). Then it's in danger of falling and needs to come off. But if a tree is healthy and attractive, leave it alone. Large old-growth trees are a good quality-of -life benefit to living in an established neighborhood. There are so many newer neighborhoods in the PA suburbs with no trees or little seedlings, and their yards are baking hot in the sun.

The only termite risk is if you let fallen wood stay there. Every week we go around picking up sticks. Not a big deal. I keep some for the fireplace for the winter. And leaves: you either rake them or leaf-blow them, or pay somebody to do it at teh end of the Fall.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:09 AM

1 posts, read 37,414 times
If the tree is dying and the person who owns the tree will not take care of his trees why does the person who did not plant the trees have to incur the expense. I made sure when I planted my trees I place them when they reached full maturity they were still only on my property. I have neighbors on both sides of me who planted trees that have become a major part of my house constantly needing gutters cleaned, dead branches always falling on the roof, house washed from the filth that comes off of the trees they planted on lot lines. I do not think anyone should be allowed to plant a tree on their lot line just like you can not build on a lot line. If you plant a tree you should assume the responsibilty of its care and make sure it does not become a hazard when you let it become infested with bugs and dies. Why does the neighbor who did not plant the tree now have to pay $900.00 to have all the dead wood and branches before it falls on her house. I love trees and I have the placed very nicely on my property and thought about my neighbors before I planted them. I have incured constant expense hiring tree trimmers to trim their trees off my roof, electric lines and driveway. I am single parent struggling to keep my house properly maintained. Who protects the person who did not plant the tree put is constanly paying for its maintence. Help because they never ask to help pay for it and he said the southwest winds will never harm his yard they will fall in my yard and house. I can no longer keep incuring the expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia